The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Right bank won't fire (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48632)

SVXDan 01-14-2009 04:25 PM

Right bank won't fire

So I was driving around one day when I lost all power and the car was limping. Was just highway driving, nothing exciting. I got it home not thinking much of it, started it up the next day and it was fine. I made it about 2 miles then it lost all power again.

I checked and the right 3 cylinders aren't firing, they all went out together. I changed the plugs and checked the coil on plug wires, after new plugs the wires seem ok. There is fuel going into the cylinders so the injectors are working.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Some common component for the different banks ignition circuit or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Manarius 01-14-2009 05:58 PM

Re: Right bank won't fire

Ignitor issues perhaps? The ignitor is located on the firewall and has 6 wires coming out of it.

Also, did you make sure to check the lead plugs located right near the back of the right bank of cylinders? Maybe they're gnawed through or unplugged partially.

TomsSVX 01-14-2009 06:07 PM

check the coils to see if they are getting power first... If so, it may be the igniter

tom

SVXDan 01-14-2009 06:54 PM

I was trying to find a good way to do that, whats the best way to check for power? pull one out and shove a multimeter in it?

redlightningsvx 01-14-2009 07:07 PM

Test the coils where they plug into the harness. Its by the TB.

kwren 01-15-2009 12:29 AM

sounds like the right bank is out of time.
takes a little driving for the puter to let you know there is a problem. Any code??

SVXDan 01-15-2009 05:09 PM

I tested the voltage of the plugs on the right bank, they're all reading 0. I went upstream on the wires, just up from the 3 colored plugs for the coils and found the white connection, kinda circular, had 7 wire connections. When I unplugged that the car wouldn't even start so at least something in there is connecting. What is upstream from that for the plug circuit? Anyone have a wiring diagram digital?

svxfiles 01-15-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXDan (Post 582445)
Anyone have a wiring diagram digital?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|24318

kwren 01-15-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 582336)
sounds like the right bank is out of time.
takes a little driving for the puter to let you know there is a problem. Any code??

:)...........................

TomsSVX 01-15-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 582471)
:)...........................

its not going to throw a code for the bank of coils without power... Or even if the pass side bank was out of time... No good way to detect it with the position monitors on the crank and driver's side cam.

You have lost your power lead for the passenger side... You need to trace it back to the source and find where the problem stems

Tom

kwren 01-15-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXDan (Post 582267)
So I was driving around one day when I lost all power and the car was limping. Was just highway driving, nothing exciting. I got it home not thinking much of it, started it up the next day and it was fine. I made it about 2 miles then it lost all power again

"You have lost your power lead for the passenger side... You need to trace it back to the source and find where the problem stems: Tom

Tom, do you see any significance in the fact that SVXDan had his power lead, lost his power lead, found his power lead, lost his power lead again? Interesting to say the least.
Codes.. not unheard of having a problem and almost in desperation the car check engine comes on and maybe grabs an 02 sensor code when there is nothing wrong with the 02 sensor? That was the reason for the question. He probably didn't drive it enough after the problem to get a ck engine light. If did, probably a code... If not, probably not a code.

Just a power lead would be a piece of cake to test out and I hope that is where this ends up!
Keith:)

TomsSVX 01-16-2009 06:26 AM

He said all 3 coils on the one side of the engine have 0v. Now... The ignitor grounds the coil when it is due to fire. This means there needs to be a constant 12v at the coil for it work properly. This is the power lead lost...

Tom

SVXDan 01-17-2009 07:25 PM

I agree, I traced it back and I think its an ignition relay that went out. When this occured it didn't throw any codes, I've screwed with so many different things there are about 100 codes now, but all from things I unplugged while the car was running or messed with.

I traced the wires back and got to the firewall without finding any voltage or line breaks. The on/off it did when this issue started leads me to believe it was a voltage converter failing, it probably got jarred just right and came back on until it fully burned out. I'll get the new relay on Tuesday, I"ll throw that in and really hope it fires up right. If not, its back to the drawing board.

SVXDan 01-20-2009 08:53 PM

Ok, it's not the ignition relay. Not a clue now, its upstream from the coils and downstream from the ECU. I'm almost leaning towards a ground wire that broke or disconnected.

SVXDan 01-24-2009 08:54 AM

Got a note back from the shop, they say its the ignition control module. Figures, the one part I didn't replace. I have one on order, we'll see if that really was it.