The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   SVX mention in "Automobile" mag. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12417)

DWayne2910 08-04-2003 03:21 PM

SVX mention in "Automobile" mag.

For those who subscribe, see p. 70 of the Sept. issue; for those who don't, there's an article on the new Legacy due out here in the first 1/4 of '04.

The article is generally favorable, but criticizes the styling as being 'handsome but innocuous' to the point that "...The new Legacy would be the perfect getaway car - no two witnesses would agree on the brand...."

It's in this context that the SVX gets a mention: "...You can't really blame Subaru for being gun-shy, however, whenever it gambles on styling, as in the SVX, it ends up with bizarre cars that are purchased in small numbers by equally bizarre engineering enthusiasts."

Bizarre engineering enthusiasts, huh? Come to think of it, I guess that applies to most of us, no?

Dan
ps: For any who take umbrage at the above, the writer is Tony Quiroga at automobilemag.com

Aredubjay 08-04-2003 03:41 PM

Re: SVX mention in "Automobile" mag.

Quote:

Originally posted by DWayne2910
For those who subscribe, see p. 70 of the Sept. issue; for those who don't, there's an article on the new Legacy due out here in the first 1/4 of '04.

The article is generally favorable, but criticizes the styling as being 'handsome but innocuous' to the point that "...The new Legacy would be the perfect getaway car - no two witnesses would agree on the brand...."

It's in this context that the SVX gets a mention: "...You can't really blame Subaru for being gun-shy, however, whenever it gambles on styling, as in the SVX, it ends up with bizarre cars that are purchased in small numbers by equally bizarre engineering enthusiasts."

Bizarre engineering enthusiasts, huh? Come to think of it, I guess that applies to most of us, no?

Dan
ps: For any who take umbrage at the above, the writer is Tony Quiroga at automobilemag.com

Let's all drop Tony an e-mail and show him how "small" and "bizarre" we REALLY are! <evil grin>

Landshark 08-04-2003 04:20 PM

i read that today, too. i was planning on the new Legacy turbo being my next car, but now i'm not so sure. according to that article, the JDM version with 276hp runs a 0-60 in 6.3 sec. the USDM version, which will most likely have only 250hp, is going to be even slower. now we're talking SVX territory. :(

looks like the STi might be my car! :D

Landshark 08-04-2003 04:25 PM

Re: Re: SVX mention in "Automobile" mag.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Let's all drop Tony an e-mail and show him how "small" and "bizarre" we REALLY are! <evil grin>

i dunno Randy, i think he may be right. we do seem to be bizarre engineering-types. gotta get back to my 'malted beverage experiments' in the lab.......:D

Subafreak 08-04-2003 06:27 PM

Bizzare engineering types? How do they figure that? Oh, excuse me I gotta go weld an EJ22 bellhousing to an EA81 tranny. I'll be right back.

Pure_Insanity8 08-04-2003 06:32 PM

Re: Re: SVX mention in "Automobile" mag.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hehehe... "You've got mail! LOTS OF MAIL!":D

Hmmm... I guess we do have a bunch of engineers and engineer types around here. My auto. engineering classes start in a few weeks.:D

Pure_Insanity8 08-04-2003 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
i read that today, too. i was planning on the new Legacy turbo being my next car, but now i'm not so sure. according to that article, the JDM version with 276hp runs a 0-60 in 6.3 sec. the USDM version, which will most likely have only 250hp, is going to be even slower. now we're talking SVX territory. :(

looks like the STi might be my car! :D

Good plan Alan. I think you could deal with not getting the Legacy, and opt for an STi instead... I know it's a stretch, but I think you'd manage.:D

lee 08-04-2003 06:44 PM

Re: SVX mention in "Automobile" mag.

Quote:

Originally posted by DWayne2910
...snip...

Dan
...snip

Not me. No, I'm a physicist (I left out the bizarre part - that would be redundant).

Landshark 08-04-2003 08:25 PM

when you think about it, this place really is scary. :eek:

i wonder what kind of Frankenstein Subaru ol' Subafreak is putting together right now?

Ron Mummert 08-04-2003 09:13 PM

WHAT!?!?

I ain't no steenkin' engineer! I ain't even been RIDIN' on no train for 30 years.

Ron (I ain't no steenkin' Bazaar either)!

Motorsport-SVX 08-06-2003 01:49 AM

they suck
maybe back then just engineers and doctors where the only ones
who had the $ to buy them new......
they should say something about buyers of today
and how its doing 10 yrs later......

Darksied-X 08-06-2003 09:26 PM

They also mention it in the Sept. issue of Car & Driver, on page 38 talking about the new Legacy. They're numbers are all messed up though, 200hp, sold for only four years, and sales under five digits. But, at least they call it an exotic GT that they loved. They also said that it only became loved by everyone else after it was discontinued. Think they're talking about us?;)

Subafreak 08-08-2003 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
when you think about it, this place really is scary. :eek:

i wonder what kind of Frankenstein Subaru ol' Subafreak is putting together right now?

See Loyal pics in locker? It's getting an EJ22 Turbo motor but I wanted to keep the duel range tranny and Subaru never made a duel range Legacy. Damn them.