The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   talking car (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1025)

Seraph 07-28-2001 06:19 PM

talking car

Hey, I saw cars that talk a while back. Have you seen those around? Who made them? When I say they talk, they tell you that you key is still in, your gas is low, etc. I want to see if I can find parts install that system in my SVX. Just a thought.

Lwin

SVXphile 07-28-2001 07:59 PM

Mother?

Talking cars are nothing new. I refer you to the old TV show.."My Mother the Car".
I will leave you in the hands of an expert to fill you in on the details....

....you're on Aredub!:D Don

Aredubjay 07-28-2001 08:20 PM

Re: Mother?

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
Talking cars are nothing new. I refer you to the old TV show.."My Mother the Car".
I will leave you in the hands of an expert to fill you in on the details....

....you're on Aredub!:D Don

Let me make my way through the cobwebs --- Jerry Van Dyke was the son (Luther on "Coach") and Ann Southern was the voice of the car. The series was cancelled very quickly and almost destroyed Jerry Van Dyke's career. Is that about it?

Lwin -- I remember doing a commercial for the first Plymouth Lazer (back in about '85 I believe). It had the "talking" feature. I remember an Eddy Murphy routine shortly after Chrysler released this searies of carswith the talking modules. It was funny. "In the Ghetto, your car don't say 'Lights are on.' They say 'Hey! Your lights is on! . . . I said, YOUR LIGHTS IS ON! Hell, are you deaf as well as blind?" It was a funny routine.

Seraph 07-28-2001 08:23 PM

thanks

thanks randy. I will look into it now.

lwin

SVXphile 07-28-2001 08:47 PM

Verbal vehicles

I thought it was a Chrysler product, but I really wasn't sure.

Who was the actor who had the lead? Ann Southern's son....I can see his face, but I'm drawing a blank..:( Don

Aredubjay 07-28-2001 10:57 PM

Re: Verbal vehicles

Quote:

I thought it was a Chrysler product, but I really wasn't sure.

Who was the actor who had the lead? Ann Southern's son....I can see his face, but I'm drawing a blank..:( Don

It was Jerry Van Dyke (See earlier post), Dick Van Dyke's Brother. He plays "Luther" on the Series Coach.

SVXphile 07-29-2001 05:22 AM

Duh

:rolleyes: I'm not blind Aredub, but I do occasionally have difficulty seeing things. Sorry! Don

Mr. Pockets 07-30-2001 01:29 PM

My dad had a Nissan hatchback that talked...but the speaker was buried somewhere so you couldn't understand it half the time...

...200sx, maybe?

SVXphile 07-30-2001 04:31 PM

Talking cars

Cars that take orders, like the new Infinity would be nice, but I'm not sure about talking back...

"Welcome aboard....Please fasten your seat belt....are your mirrors adjusted?....a scan shows uneven wear on your front brake pads....temperature outside is 73 degrees.... your stock portfolio just collapsed...you have gained 5 pounds since your last trip....Have a nice day!"....:rolleyes: Don

Seraph 07-30-2001 04:35 PM

Re: Talking cars

Quote:

Cars that take orders, like the new Infinity would be nice, but I'm not sure about talking back...

"Welcome aboard....Please fasten your seat belt....are your mirrors adjusted?....a scan shows uneven wear on your front brake pads....temperature outside is 73 degrees.... your stock portfolio just collapsed...you have gained 5 pounds since your last trip....Have a nice day!"....:rolleyes: Don

Now, you are talking.... I wish. But if I want, I know I can do that. Blue tooth, i think is the key and a small computer should do the trick -- with a ton of sensors.

lwin

KEVINL 07-30-2001 08:01 PM

one of my friends had a early 80's 280ZX and it would tell you when the door was open

SVXphile 07-30-2001 08:27 PM

Sensors please...lots and lots of sensors

Welcome aboard Spamair flight 235, non-stop service to Dallas. Today we are flying at 35,000 ft and should have beautiful weather for our flight to the big "D"...as an added bonus, today's flight is the first totally computerized and automated flight ever authorized by the FAA and Spamair! We have no captain today! The flight is completely controlled by onboard computers and systems along our route. So please lean back, relax, and enjoy the flight. Our friendly flight attendants will be around shortly to see to your every need! Rest assured that thanks to modern digital technology, nothing will go wrong...go wrong...go wrong....go wrong...:rolleyes: Don
(variation on an old joke)

Aredubjay 07-30-2001 10:09 PM

Re: Sensors please...lots and lots of sensors

Quote:

Welcome aboard Spamair flight 235, non-stop service to Dallas. Today we are flying at 35,000 ft and should have beautiful weather for our flight to the big "D"...as an added bonus, today's flight is the first totally computerized and automated flight ever authorized by the FAA and Spamair! We have no captain today! The flight is completely controlled by onboard computers and systems along our route. So please lean back, relax, and enjoy the flight. Our friendly flight attendants will be around shortly to see to your every need! Rest assured that thanks to modern digital technology, nothing will go wrong...go wrong...go wrong....go wrong...:rolleyes: Don
(variation on an old joke)

Sheesh. After that post, I figure we don't need sensors, we need censors. :D

SVXphile 07-31-2001 07:04 PM

Make sense...sir!

<Sheesh. After that post, I figure we don't need sensors, we need censors. >

Oh. don't be so hard on yourself Randy! A few of those over 1600 posts have actually been informative and entertaining! Keep it up!:D Don

Seraph 07-31-2001 08:48 PM

This is odd. For randy's # of posts, if you look top 10 posters, he is on top. Then if you do a search for members with over 400 posts, Randy is 2nd... check it out.

Lwin