The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Body Modifications (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Mounting Alcyone hood ornament (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38868)

Subie59 05-07-2007 07:54 PM

Mounting Alcyone hood ornament

OK guys I just got my Alcyone hood ornament but my car has no holes in the hood remaining from the old emblem.... and no sign of where it once was. Any suggestions on how to install one of these from scratch. Looks like I'm going to have to drill three holes in my hood (not good). Two of the posts have pyramidal rubber washer type things, the third is just a steel post. What drill bit and do you just push the rubber washer type things through the steel hood or is there some trick to the whole thing...
I know it's probably simple but I'm new to this and not real handy when it comes to these things... Rather do it right than make cheese out of my hood...
Thanks

It's Just Eric 05-07-2007 10:25 PM

Well...not having seen the reverse side of the alcyone emblem, I can only offer some common sence advice stemming from my fabrication experiances.
First thing's first...find the center line of the hood. Get a tape measure, and go right across the front edge of the hood....thake the measurement, half it, and use that measurement to make a pencil mark on the center of the front edge of the hood. now you have something to work with. you'll have to do the same to the reverse side of the emblem. All measurements from this point should be from that mark. Its jsut a matter of masuring and plotting.

Or, you can do it the bodyshop way, and break the mounting studs off the back, eye it up (Doesnt matter if the emblem is upside down, or on the wrong car for that matter) and stick it on

The later of the two isnt reccomended

Hocrest 05-07-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Well...not having seen the reverse side of the alcyone emblem,

They match up exactly with the studs on a stock badge.

SubaRyu 05-08-2007 01:52 AM

Any pics of the back side of the alcyone badge? I was thinking about doing the same thing......

DarknessofDeath 05-08-2007 02:00 AM

are you guys sure.?>.when you pry off the stock badge. the badge should be held on by double sided tape and two prongs i believe it was if not three..but there is a yellow plastic thing-which you should see on your alcyone badge as well...take those out and your alycone badge should go right in...
if that's not the case...then i'm not sure

Noir 05-08-2007 03:23 AM

he may not have a stock hood so the holes might not exist.

LetItSnow 05-08-2007 03:28 AM

I just did this on my '92... Here's what I've got:

When I removed my stock badge, there were three holes - two side by side (where the prongs with the yellow plastic jobbies went), and one below them (for alignment and anti-upside-down purposes).

Conveniently, when you have the holes, it's nice 'n' easy to line it up, press it on, and admire your work.

I think '59 is telling us that there are no hood holes to work with? Seems odd; why would they change that? Alas, when there are no holes for badges, manufacturers usually have tools that touch the car in a few places to perform alignment before pressing the badge on.

Looks like there's little choice but to measure well?

DarknessofDeath 05-08-2007 04:08 AM

aftermarket hood possibly?

svxcess 05-08-2007 06:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe someone out there with a used/damaged hood (without an emblem on it) could make a "rubbing" with pencil on paper to show the exact size and position of the holes and a rubbing along the front edge of the hood. While they were at it, a drill bit could also be used to determine exactly what size the holes were.

That way it would be easy to measure the halfway point, and tape the rubbed template to the hood. When you are satisfied with the position, centerpunch a small mark through the center of the rubbed "holes" on the paper onto the hood.

Be sue to finish the edges of the drilled holes with some primer or a little paint before mounting the emblem.

See diagram.

svxcess 05-08-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
are you guys sure.? When you pry off the stock badge. the badge should be held on by double sided tape and two prongs I believe it was if not three... but there is a yellow plastic thing-which you should see on your alcyone badge as well. take those out and your alycone badge should go right in...
if that's not the case...then i'm not sure

On the back of the badge, the two upper prongs have yellow plastic rings around them; the single one at the bottom does not. The yellow rings press into the holes in the hood and compress around the pins on the emblem to further secure them in position.

DO NOT TAKE THE YELLOW PIECES OFF THE EMBLEM.
After cleaning the hood of grease or wax, peel off the protective backing from the emblem. Once you line up the pins with the holes in the hood, press the pins (and yellow rings) into the holes as far as they will go. Then use firm pressure all around the emblem to make sure the adhesive gasket is secure.

Subie59 05-08-2007 06:36 PM

Thanks Guys. I guess it's going to be some careful measurements and drilling on the weekend to get this thing on. Thanks for your comments and suggestions...

dannmarr 05-08-2007 06:38 PM

If you are not sure of drilling holes, I would second the suggestion to stick it on. You can always redo it, but once you make a mistake drilling holes.......OOPS!:eek:

AlcyoneDaze 05-09-2007 12:39 PM

yea, definitly skip drilling any holes in your hood man, the sticky stuff on the back has more than enough adhesion to hold it on there. work smarter, not harder ;)

RSVX 05-10-2007 05:34 AM

I would still like to know why his hood doesnt currently have holes in it.

Darren 05-10-2007 07:31 AM

Hiya,

The holes may still be there if the car has had damage on the hood and been repaired with filler and then painted.

Virtually all badges nowadays are held on with tape and no body holes, mainly for all the different model names/numbers etc, it would be a nightmare to drill holes for every model & engine size difference.

If in doubt about drilling just get some bodyshop grade trim tape and stick it on the cleaned surface that is warm.
If you need to drill put 3 or 4 layers of masking tape in the area of the holes then mark onto the tape and drill through it, it will stop any drill slip and keep the hole where you want it. (Nothing worse then a drill bit going off on it own path of removing paint and metal lol)

Darren