The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Political Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Roll of the dice election (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46092)

USSEnterprise 09-05-2008 12:01 PM

Roll of the dice election

I'm starting to realize how I should vote this year. I am simply going to take into the booth a six sided die. For one through three, I'll vote McCain, and four through six, Obama. Because, as I see it, no matter how we vote, we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. On the one side, we have Obama, the pinnacle of inexperience, who by the way, has a pretty good chance of not making it out of the oval office alive. Then we have the experienced McCain, who flip flops all over the place, shows a scare tactic video at his convention, and also probably won't make it out of the oval office alive (not that zombie man is alive right now.)

Anyone else voting similarly?

LetItSnow 09-05-2008 12:16 PM

Re: Roll of the dice election

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure why I'd vote in the first place. New York is, has been, and will be sending its electoral college goods in a shade of blue.

While said electoral college exists, should we just let the swing states vote and leave the rest of the country out of it? It's a crummy thing to say, but it's not far from true! The system doesn't allow for tremendous change in the polls. Half plus one wins, whether it's 90% or 51%.

dcarrb 09-05-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USSEnterprise (Post 562794)
On the one side, we have Obama, the pinnacle of inexperience, who by the way, has a pretty good chance of not making it out of the oval office alive.

No minor concern there, and that's such a shame.

dcb

Royal Tiger 09-05-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 562795)
I hate to say it, but I'm not sure why I'd vote in the first place. New York is, has been, and will be sending its electoral college goods in a shade of blue.

While said electoral college exists, should we just let the swing states vote and leave the rest of the country out of it? It's a crummy thing to say, but it's not far from true! The system doesn't allow for tremendous change in the polls. Half plus one wins, whether it's 90% or 51%.

Excellent point. The electoral college should award votes by county, not state.

Weebitob 09-15-2008 05:13 PM

And have some corrupt counties like the one I live in through some FUBAR actions has become a place that is so dominated by the Republican party or any single one for that matter hold even more influence on the national outcome? I presently live in a town where only Republicans are able to run for mayor and town counsel. Which then means people must sign up as Republicans in order to be able to participate in elections, which then effects the census taken into account when finding out whether counties are "red" or "blue?"

No, and in fact I would go as far to state that party politics should be outlawed from being directly involved in local elections like what happened in Nashville, Tennessee. In fact with that in mind you can see how much these political parties that are supposed to represent public interest are increasingly consolidating it.

downforlow 09-15-2008 05:38 PM

is it just me or did we not have much of an option in the last couple elections either. :mad:

greggbzz 09-15-2008 05:57 PM

I don't like either candidate.

Obama is to vague and the more I see him, the more left he seems. I'm not sure he really knows what he's doing.

Now it's McCain with the dirty politics. I mean some of his adds in PA turn my stomach. He's in touch with the old white crusty political machine, for sure.

Palin want's to teach intelligent design in science class. That supremely irks me.

SVXMAN2001 09-15-2008 06:53 PM

Many people feel that choosing between Obama and McCain is choice between the lesser of two evils, myself included. I try harder and harder to sift through the rhetoric of both parties only to find that both are raising thick smoke screens over our country. I am sick of hearing what we need is CHANGE, no ****! But simply preaching that what hasn't worked in the past and chose me for a new beginning without any substantive policies, leaves us in as bad as a position as before. My principle concern is the economy, the tax policies presented by Obama and McCain achieve ultimately the same end goals, really just a false sense of our country's distribution of wealth.

NikFu S. 09-15-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggbzz (Post 564028)
Palin want's to teach intelligent design in science class. That supremely irks me.

Source? I'll drop Palin like a rock if this is true.

LetItSnow 09-15-2008 08:23 PM

Not that we necessarily want to get into this sort of thing (way OT) but would it be that intelligent design was taught alone? If its concepts were contrasted between itself, creation and evolution, then it might hold some sort of merit, given that it wasn't used to steer any student's preference of what to believe.

After all, wouldn't the scientific types be surprised in the afterlife to find that God had placed dinosaurs and evolutionary concepts just to test man's belief!

Returning to topic: If there's one thing I can say about being a New Yorker, it's that whichever candidate we receive as president, my hands are clean!

greggbzz 09-15-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 564037)
Source? I'll drop Palin like a rock if this is true.

On the issues, check under education.

Anchorage Daily News

I respect what the scientific method has done for humanity. Most of us owe our lives to it.

greggbzz 09-15-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 564038)
Not that we necessarily want to get into this sort of thing (way OT) but would it be that intelligent design was taught alone? If its concepts were contrasted between itself, creation and evolution, then it might hold some sort of merit, given that it wasn't used to steer any student's preference of what to believe.

After all, wouldn't the scientific types be surprised in the afterlife to find that God had placed dinosaurs and evolutionary concepts just to test man's belief!

Returning to topic: If there's one thing I can say about being a New Yorker, it's that whichever candidate we receive as president, my hands are clean!

I'm not sure how to take your post or what side you are on, but I will rant for the edification of those reading. This is a very important issue, and I think it gets ignored or laughed at far to often.

Creationism, or intelligent design, or whatever, fails to adhere to the scientific method and is not science. It should not be taught as such.

Any idea can be presented, but when it fails under the scrutiny of peer review, and does not comply with the steps in the scientific method, there is no way to know if it's really true. That's the crux of it right there. Science deals in facts that you can verify. Experiments are done with a predicted result based on someones theory. When your experiment repeatably produces a result you did not predict, it's time to realign the theory, much as Einstein did when he discredited something we took for granted for hundreds of years, namely Newtonian physics.

Now, it's all well and good to present a contrary idea, but your idea HAS TO PLAY BY THE SAME RULES. I've not seen the experiment yet that can validate the existence of an intelligent designer. Intelligent design therefore falls flat on it's face during step 2 of the scientific method. Sorry, the existence of an "intelligent designer" can't be proven as fact. Not with any experiment I know.

In case you forget, the scientific method is presented in the first chapter of every basic science book I've ever seen, and is the methodology that defines the discipline itself. If we starting teaching things that are not science in science class, we are undermining the core of the curriculum.

Most people take our modern world for granted, they think the technology is the science. It's not. We just owe our technology to science. Science is an arduous method in order to prove what is true. The real truth is the best thing we have. We owe it so, so very much. This is why I get angry.

I'd suggest the readings of an good modern scientist, such as Carl Sagan or Richard Feyman. They put these things better then I ever could.

Landshark 09-15-2008 11:05 PM

The Limits of Science

greggbzz 09-15-2008 11:12 PM

Now you've done it. My new hobby is alcoholism. :lol:

NikFu S. 09-15-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 564038)

You can't "teach" intelligent design. That would require some kind of unification of all religions. "Teaching" just one religious system isn't school, it's indoctrination..
If parents want that sort of thing they enroll their kids in a Catholic or Christian (or whatever) school.
I went to a Catholic school for my first year of Elementary. St. Clair over in/near Detroit or wherever in Michigan. There was nothing unusual about it other than they tried to make us write in italics. :confused:

--
+1 to Carl Sagan. Youtube him for teh good sciences.