The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Laptop problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13926)

petesvx2 10-22-2003 02:12 PM

Laptop problem

On my laptop, I am experiencin an intermittent keyboard issue. some keys dont work, i.e. key rite to F and key left of J. its really annoyin, because it looks like i cant spell. any ideas as to wat it is and a way to fix it? Its an IBM 600E if it elps

DavieGravy 10-22-2003 02:21 PM

I don't know what might fix it, but did you spill anything on it? I've had keyboard buttons fail on me by doing so.

petesvx2 10-22-2003 02:25 PM

I avent spilled anytin on it! Its drivin me insane tou. All te missin letters are a result of tis problem. :confused:

Darksied-X 10-22-2003 02:27 PM

Yeah, I'd say the keyboard has gone bad. I've had it happen to an IBM at work before.

mohrds 10-22-2003 02:39 PM

Re: Laptop problem

Quote:

Originally posted by petesvx2
On my laptop, I am experiencing an intermittent keyboard issue. some keys dont work, i.e. key rite to F and key left of J. its really annoying, because it looks like i cant spell. any ideas as to wat it is and a way to fix it? Its an IBM 600E if it elps
Try turning it on its side, press all the keys while tapping on the case. You may have a chunk of hamburger in it.

Otherwise, the keyboards for TPs are somewhat cheap and relatively easy to change.

http://www.ibmhardware.com/inventory...number=08K4825

Doug

petesvx2 10-22-2003 02:46 PM

CRAP...i tried to be smart, and i took off te M key, and now idk ow to put it back on! ****!

Darksied-X 10-22-2003 04:02 PM

That doesn't sound good. I may be wrong, but the last time I pulled a keyboard off an IBM, it looked like the keyboard was a one piece design, meaning if you pulled a key off, you're screwed. Laptop keyboards are made to be pulled off in one piece with a screwdriver or something like that, they don't have removable keys like a desktop's keyboard. Sounds like you really need a new one now. If it's still under warrenty, just call IBM and say "Hey, the damn key just fell off!" Thats what I always do.:D

Subafreak 10-22-2003 05:24 PM

Am I suppost to be LMAO at your posts, or are you really having problems?

Mr. Pockets 10-22-2003 05:32 PM

I agree with Doug. Thinkpads are (or were) very modular and easily servicable. I've disassembled, cleaned and reassembled PC keyboards, but notebook keyboards are usually stamped together. This way they're lighter, but not in any way servicable.

You just need a new keyboard, I think.

Edit: I don't know about current notebooks, but they used to come with PS/2 ports for a mouse or keyboard. If you don't travel with your notebook too much, you could just get a normal, $15 PC keyboard for now.

Darksied-X 10-22-2003 06:39 PM

We just got in a couple brand new IBM R40's, and they lack PS/2 ports. It sucks, I had to give the new owner my USB mouse from my work bench. But yeah, if yours has it, then you can get a portable keyboard for like $20.

petesvx2 10-22-2003 07:37 PM

I ot te M key back on, so try to understand me wit my missin letters lol...I ave USB ports, sould i attempt to find a ceap USB keyboard? Ill be buyin a new laptop probly after i et out of boot camp wit my bonus....soo yea just USB? or no?

petesvx2 10-23-2003 02:35 PM

booya...just gave it a little love tap on the backside, and all the keys are fully functioning. YAY. GHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH :)

SubaSteevo 10-24-2003 07:44 AM

...works with girlfriends too

;)

Aredubjay 10-24-2003 08:05 AM

Pete,
You might try going to Radio Shack and getting some electronics cleaner and spraying some into the side of the keyboard that's giving you problems. Make sure it's the type that doesn't melt plastic.

About a month ago, a friend (almost an ex-friend) dumped an entire cup of Coca Cola into the keyboard of my IBM Thinkpad Transnote. It's sealed into the portfolio, so, I can't figure out how to remove it. The keys are a tad sticky, but, havn't failed as yet. I plan on using electronics cleaner to clean some of the gunk out. Luckily, I bought an extended warranty, especially since the Transnote has been discontinued. I hate that, because it's such a neat computer.

At work, I hook up to an IBM Keyboard (USB) and a 17" Portrait Display Labs "Pivot" monitor. I've been considering buying one of those "roll up" keyboards for the road. Perhaps that's something you could consider.

SHISVX 10-24-2003 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
...works with girlfriends too

;)

don't even go there girlfriend

(4 snaps in a "Z" formation)

Kelli