The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Chris's SVX Shop (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   squealing?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7991)

1994SubaruSVX 01-06-2003 02:54 PM

squealing??

when i crank the car in the morning i get a loud squeal?? it gets worse when i turn on the air conditioner. what the hell do i need to fix now??

thanks
Leo

Aredubjay 01-06-2003 02:58 PM

Re: squealing??

Quote:

Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
when i crank the car in the morning i get a loud squeal?? it gets worse when i turn on the air conditioner. what the hell do i need to fix now??

thanks
Leo

Sounds like a belt deal to me. P/S O-ring? Simple tightening? Just my guess.

huck369 01-06-2003 05:57 PM

Yeah, what Randy said:)

Aredubjay 01-07-2003 10:34 AM

Leo,
It's too bad I don't have any employee "going away parties" coming up soon. Otherwise, I'd work myself up a good hangover and come down and install it for you. :D

Hope the alternator mod is still holding up for you.

1994SubaruSVX 01-07-2003 02:25 PM

thanks........

i had my power steering fluid checked and it was full so i dont think it is the o-ring. it must be belt related. when i turn on the air conditioning/heater i am getting a bit of a burning smell. could it be a belt slipping?

the alternator mod is definitely a must do for any svxer. my alternator is still going strong. thanks a lot for coming down to help me out.

Aredubjay 01-07-2003 03:29 PM

Re: thanks........

Quote:

Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i had my power steering fluid checked and it was full so i dont think it is the o-ring. it must be belt related. when i turn on the air conditioning/heater i am getting a bit of a burning smell. could it be a belt slipping?

the alternator mod is definitely a must do for any svxer. my alternator is still going strong. thanks a lot for coming down to help me out.

If there's a burning smell, it could very well be belt slippage. That could be due to a couple of things: Loose belt; a pulley that is near seizing. I'm hoping it's not the latter.

Pop the hood and, first, check the condition of the belt (cracks, slickness, etc.) If it seems okay, press the belt with your thumb to see how much it gives. If it gives a lot, tighten it using the tensioner screw (being very careful not to overtighten). At one point, I've had the tensioner screw slip the yoke it is supposed to sit in. Caused quite a racket. :D

As for P/S fluid being okay, that's no indication that the pump isn't sucking air. Usually, the o-ring problem manifests itself with a small puddle of fluid on the engine block, just behind the reservoir, however, when mine first started, there was no evidence whatsoever that there was a problem. Fluid level was fine, and there were no leaks. Just that darned shutter at low speed turn and the squealing on full lock.

immortal_suby 01-07-2003 04:13 PM

I believe some owners who have had the main drive pulley dampener rubber give way have had squealing also. You may want to take a look at it.

1994SubaruSVX 01-09-2003 09:45 AM

this stupid car...........

this morning my wife was taking the svx to work this morning when the speedo zeroed out, the car stopped accruing mileage, and the check engine light came on inside. i am assuming the little gear above or behind (cant remember) on the tranny broke. hopefully that is what caused the check engine light to come on as well.

i am going to have them investigate the squealing too. i downloaded the o-ring how-to and took it into them.

surely it will only take the the rest of this month to get my car back. i hate the dealership here. they are just butchers awaiting the slaughter.

wish me luck and thanks for the help.