The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   front end help needed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43949)

JLHollowX13 03-26-2008 03:41 AM

front end help needed

so today has been a pretty good day in the 'ol svx. i was out doing some stuff to her and right on time dhl pulls up with my new powersteering pressure hose from subaruparts. i was pretty happy. slapped that on and was back to work doing what i was doing.

and what i was doing wasnt so good, actually pretty annoying. ive noticed i hear alot of vibration when going over bumps. i jacked the car up today, shook the hell outta everything, and nothing moved at all. everything in the front end seemed tight, except one small part. im not sure what it was, but it was very small, connected to the body and the wheel assembly. it was 2 different metal parts with rubber dampeners it looked like. anyway, it was loose on the dirvers side, so i tightened it up. i thought i had found the culprit since everything but that was solid. i guess i was wrong. took it for a test drive and its still vibrating. i dont feel the vibrations, i just hear them. then i started to think that maybe its the plastic "skid plate" under the front end. i only have 2 bolts holding it in, but i dont think its that because i dont think it could make that much of a rattling sound. ill take it off and see if maybe it is the problem, but i highly doubt itll fix it, it may help a little, but i know there is more to it.

does anyone know what could be causing this?? ive read some other threads and someone said something about the swaybar joints or something about the swaybar. is that my problem? or is it something else? what do i need to do to fix it?

thanks for any help, im just tired of constantly hearing the rattling. it is getting very annoying!

dcarrb 03-26-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 537245)
im not sure what it was, but it was very small, connected to the body and the wheel assembly. it was 2 different metal parts with rubber dampeners it looked like. anyway, it was loose on the dirvers side, so i tightened it up.

ive read some other threads and someone said something about the swaybar joints or something about the swaybar.

(If you're describing the sway bar bushings), by "loose," do you mean the bolts holding the mount to the frame were backed-out, or was the rubber bushing split or missing?

When I had a sway bar bushing fail and pop out the resulting rattle sounded like the whole front end was about to come out from under the car.

dcb

ShiuludeSVX 03-26-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 537255)
(If you're describing the sway bar bushings), by "loose," do you mean the bolts holding the mount to the frame were backed-out, or was the rubber bushing split or missing?

When I had a sway bar bushing fail and pop out the resulting rattle sounded like the whole front end was about to come out from under the car.

dcb

That's my sounds, but I took the Sway Bar out. No change at all.
I'm lookin at the Top Hats next I think.

dcarrb 03-26-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX (Post 537284)
That's my sounds, but I took the Sway Bar out. No change at all.

You removed the sway bar? New bushings are cheap.

dcb

JLHollowX13 03-26-2008 12:32 PM

when i got underneath the car to check everything out nothing seems out of place, or loose, or worn out. that is what is confusing me. i didnt see any corroding rubber, or loose bolts. i yanked on everything and nothing would budge. i just cant pin point the problem.

SVXRide 03-26-2008 12:49 PM

top hats...
-Bill

ShiuludeSVX 03-26-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 537288)
You removed the sway bar? New bushings are cheap.

dcb

I yanked it to try and isolate the sound, but it's still there. So bushings are also next.
I had my local tire place lemme underneath, and they were pointing to the Motor Mounts as a possibility.
Midas took a look a while back, and said not to worry "it's just body roll". Yah, un huh Body Roll....:lol: