The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   94' SVX - Does not start - Code 11? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64903)

wazzupwaleed 07-14-2019 04:34 PM

94' SVX - Does not start - Code 11?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey,

First of all, I'd like to thank the administrators, moderators and all members of this site for keeping an encyclopedia on SVXs going. I have to say that the info on this site has helped me a lot over the years. THANK YOU!

But, this problem is a doozy. It's a red 1994 SVX LSi that's been converted to 5spd from a 06' impreza donor; that's pretty it in terms of mods, rest is standard but it is for sure my most fun and reliable vehicle for the last 4 years. This spring, when i took it out of storage to get it prepped for summer, i noticed it took a while longer to start (I didn't think too much of it). I did however run it for about 2 months but the problem gradually got worse. To the point that sometimes i would have to use the slope of my driveway to bump start it. Finally I took some time to look up the codes and i got 11, 31 and 33 (this last one is because i never hooked up the speed sensor after the swap).

So due to the no start up issue, i started with code 11, crank angle sensor 1. After removing sensor #1 (sensor at 10 o'clock), i checked its resistance readings and they were good. Even checked for AC voltage when moving a magnet in front of it and it would show change in reading. I then removed sensor #2(vertical one) and got no readings in either test, which was weird since the code was for sensor #1. I decided to order a replacement sensor (no OE available anymore, so went with a 03' impreza one) and then replaced it. Tried to start it, but no luck. Swapped the 2 sensors, still no luck, and now i'm stuck!

Has any of you come across this kind of issue? Are my wirings correct? I feel like i'm missing something here (probably something stupid). I'd really appreciate any help.
Also, is it an issue starting the engine without the alternator (just getting a bit lazy with having to remove it every time)

Note: the connector housing was removed to ensure i was connected the ground wire to the left pin of the sensors.

Blacky 07-15-2019 03:31 AM

Re: 94' SVX - Does not start - Code 11?

I had this same issue last fall. I ending up putting in 2 new sensors and it started right away.
Every time I have removed one of these sensors which has been on an engine for many years, it has ended up damaged from the removal.
Once I sold one I removed from my running parts car, shipped it to a member of this forum and he returned it saying it did not work.
I removed and installed them a zillion times and each time I connected the alternator. Don't take a chance out of laziness.

wazzupwaleed 07-17-2019 03:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, yes replacing both sensors does make sense. So, I did order another replacement, will give it a try this weekend so fingers crossed "X"
And yes, will take the non-lazy and right route of installing the alternator :D

wazzupwaleed 07-21-2019 07:06 AM

Ok, got an update with some good news and bad news. I received a second crank angle sensor from 03 Impreza (Standard Motor Product PC159). Installed it with no luck at first, but once i figured which pin of the sensor was the ground and signal wire I FINALLY GOT IT TO START! Best start in a few months, once warmed up idled around 750 RPM like it should (used to idle at 1000 RPM but i thought that was something to do with the 5Spd swap). The only CEL that came up was the vehicle speed sensor which i knew about.

However, got the bad news when I went to rev it and it would misfire real bad above 1500 RPM and wouldn't go past it. https://youtu.be/Wo9tmD8nuF0

So between the 3 good sensors I have (OE #1 and 2 PC159 sensors, OE#2 read no resistance) I tried a few combinations but the results got worse or were the same. Now, i'm lost as to what could be causing it?

Have i skipped a tooth in the timing belt? But then how did it start and idle fine?

SoCoNoHa 07-22-2019 10:35 AM

For what it's worth, I've been off by a tooth when installing a t-belt on an H4 and it idled fine but would break up when revved. Honestly, it sounds more like a crank or cam position sensor to me with the hard limit.

wazzupwaleed 07-22-2019 05:17 PM

Yes, that's also where my head at when trying to come up with possible causes. Can excessive cranking cause the belt to jump? I guess i'll find out when i take those timing belt covers off. :confused:

irox 07-22-2019 05:33 PM

The belt would have to be installed incorrectly to be a tooth off. Possibly if there are other damaged or warn out components (stretched belt, broken tensioner, warn pullies/bearings, etc.) it might be able to jump a tooth or few, but I would imagine things would need to be an pretty bad condition for that to happen.