The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   lower control arm replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61341)

LastSVXintheChi 02-21-2013 03:42 PM

lower control arm replacement

does anyone know if the lower control arms are a pain to replace? i just ask because i called for a quote to replace them and told the guy i had the parts and he quoted me $350 that seems like a lot to me considering it only looks like 5 or 6 bolts to take off and put back on...also i looked for a "how to" but didnt find one...is there?

thanks

this is for the front not the rear btw

dragoontwo 02-21-2013 05:05 PM

Re: lower control arm replacement

It doesn't look very hard or complicated. I have not done it so I can not say for sure. It will probably come down to how corroded everything in there is.

LastSVXintheChi 02-21-2013 05:13 PM

it is all covered with oil so not very rusted at all just greasy

icingdeath88 02-21-2013 05:17 PM

^ What he said. It's not very difficult as long as none of the bolts are seized.

Once you're underneath it, it's obvious enough what to do that a how-to is not really necessary. The only kinda tricky thing is getting the ball joint stud out of the knuckle.

Actually one more thing that's important is that to get to the rear bolt holding the control arm to the subframe, you have to take off a bracket that holds the subframe to the body of the car. Only take the bracket off one side at a time, in case the subframe could fall or shift without both of them on.

LastSVXintheChi 02-21-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 720282)
^ What he said. It's not very difficult as long as none of the bolts are seized.

Once you're underneath it, it's obvious enough what to do that a how-to is not really necessary. The only kinda tricky thing is getting the ball joint stud out of the knuckle.

Actually one more thing that's important is that to get to the rear bolt holding the control arm to the subframe, you have to take off a bracket that holds the subframe to the body of the car. Only take the bracket off one side at a time, in case the subframe could fall or shift without both of them on.

well ^ this part sounds a little scary lol
when you say one side at a time you mean drivers side and passenger side right? i was hoping to get this done all on a Sunday cus it's my daily driver.

icingdeath88 02-21-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi (Post 720283)
well ^ this part sounds a little scary lol
when you say one side at a time you mean drivers side and passenger side right? i was hoping to get this done all on a Sunday cus it's my daily driver.

I don't think it would actually fall, but I'm not 100% sure, so just to be safe. Yes, I mean driver's side and passenger side.

LastSVXintheChi 02-21-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 720284)
I don't think it would actually fall, but I'm not 100% sure, so just to be safe. Yes, I mean driver's side and passenger side.

alright cool thats what i planned on doing anyway cus only the drivers side is bad right now so depending on how long it takes i may only do one side then next week do the other thanks for the help!

Wikedjuggalo 02-24-2013 01:32 PM

Why do you think it needs to be replaced? Its not difficult if I recall. Takes time and patience.

LastSVXintheChi 02-25-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 720373)
Why do you think it needs to be replaced? Its not difficult if I recall. Takes time and patience.

the bushings are shot on the drivers side

LastSVXintheChi 04-15-2013 09:18 AM

so i have run into kind of an odd issue...last night i replaced the lower control arms on the car with some newer used ones until i can get the bushings in from whoever has them i drove the car last night and this morning and i still hear the same knocking noise that i did before BUT the car is driving much better (for now)...the wheel doesnt hop on shallow right handed corners anymore but it still sounds like something is hitting the bottom of the car every time i go over a bump....

i fixed what i was feeling but not what i was hearing :confused: HELP any ideas lol

dannmarr 04-15-2013 09:23 AM

Check your struts if they are leaking.

LastSVXintheChi 04-15-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 722670)
Check your struts if they are leaking.

im pretty sure it isnt those because it is a different feeling than when the struts went bad plus i replaced them less than a year ago on the front that is...

i know the suspension in the back is getting real bad is it possible that im hearing the rear suspension?

now that would be really be something because i would have been willing to bet money that is is coming from the front

i went and checked and they look fine no fluid on them

icingdeath88 04-15-2013 11:48 AM

Strut top mounts? The front ones have a bearing that can get worn and start to rattle.

B 4 You 04-15-2013 01:42 PM

End links can rattle too. I'm replacing mine Wednesday

icingdeath88 04-15-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 722689)
End links can rattle too. I'm replacing mine Wednesday

Another good suggestion. And they can be replaced for cheap too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FRONT-Sway...-/220445397586