The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   cruise on/off question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41943)

YourConfused 11-19-2007 12:26 AM

cruise on/off question

I hate that I have to turn the cruise on every time I drive the car. Why isn't it always on? I know that this is how it was meant to function. I want to know if anyone has, or knows of a way, to make the cruise always active. I don't want to hit a button w/ the left and then another w/ the right to get the cruise to engage. I find this very annoying. Anyone got any info about this? Any mods, special tricks, version of a rain dance...:confused:

Sir. Nate 11-19-2007 01:06 AM

I guess you could change out the switch from a momentary to a toggle switch, to keep it on at all times. Unless you want to turn it off, then just flip the switch to "off".

Manarius 11-19-2007 06:34 AM

I would surmise that the cruise is not like that for safety reasons. With the way our cruise is setup on the steering wheel, it's farily easy to be set on, and you wouldn't want that if you were driving down town. I personally don't mind as that's the way it was on my old car.

LetItSnow 11-19-2007 07:33 AM

I wonder if it's possible to transplant the switch from, say, a recent Forester? My wife's cruise control lever has the on/off switch on the right side of the lever.

YourConfused 11-20-2007 08:25 PM

I like the idea of using a on/off swithc instead of the momentary one. I will try that fairly soon. Thanks for the ideas.

ensteele 11-21-2007 12:17 AM

Most of the switches work that way. If the car is turned off, it stays off until you turn it on again. The other switch of off, on, and resume are the same as others too. :)

Hondasucks 11-21-2007 12:23 AM

My truck is like that, it has an on/off switch on one side of the steering wheel, and a resume/accel and set/coast on the other side, so the cruise is always "on" but it won't "Set" unless you hit the set button, and if you shut the truck off it forgets the speed it was set at.. (Only annoying thing is most Chrysler products the cruise doesn't work below 35, rather than 25 like other cars)..

Guyver280z 11-21-2007 08:33 AM

My cruise control doesnt work....:confused: probably because of the 5 speed tranny swap.....

Trevor 11-21-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 509688)
I hate that I have to turn the cruise on every time I drive the car. Why isn't it always on? I know that this is how it was meant to function. I want to know if anyone has, or knows of a way, to make the cruise always active. I don't want to hit a button w/ the left and then another w/ the right to get the cruise to engage. I find this very annoying. Anyone got any info about this? Any mods, special tricks, version of a rain dance...:confused:

The cruise control system is capable of opening the throttles at any time, quite regardless of the intentions of the driver, thus placing those within the vehicle as well as anyone in front, in grave danger.

A momentary switch energises circuitry which is self locking and can be self unlocking. The system is arranged so as to be fail safe in the event of any fault and this could very well be dependant on the circuitry being able to self unlock. An on/off switch would defeat such an arrangement.

I may not be correct in my analysis, but if is very likely correct. I feel obliged to point out the risks involved in messing with existing arrangements.

SVXAPEAL 11-22-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyver280z (Post 510352)
My cruise control doesnt work....:confused: probably because of the 5 speed tranny swap.....

Mine still works after the 5 speed tranny swap.

Caryn

jeffast 11-22-2007 11:38 AM

mine also works fine with the 5 spd swap

ensteele 11-22-2007 12:36 PM

Mine too. It sometimes give a little surge, but is usually just fine. :)

Suby Fan 11-22-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyver280z (Post 510352)

have you checked the vacuum connection on the servo yet?