The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   just bought an SVX and unhappy... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29712)

Boxer6SVX 11-20-2005 05:43 PM

just bought an SVX and unhappy...

I have been thoroughly enjoying my SVX for the past few days now and tonight Im sitting at the drivethru at Burger King and i can hear a faint knocking... So here i am with an SVX thats probably going to need a new engine 2 days after buying it... sigh... im so screwed... no idea what this is going to set me back :-(

spinn360 11-20-2005 05:47 PM

The fuel injectors tic a little bit on my car but that doesnt mean I will need a new engine. Can you isolate the sound? Hold a hose to an injector and listen to the other end while car is running see if thats the ticking if it is your fine.

dwd1985 11-20-2005 05:47 PM

This might not be as big a deal as you think. What type of gas are you using? It needs to be premium gasoline, it says that on 2 different places on the car (instrument panel, inside fuel door) and in the owners manual. Make sure that you use the highest grade gasoline available, or else you will get engine knock. Read about it in your owners manual (if you got one when you bought it). Also, look up the procedure for pulling engine trouble codes, and see if you have any codes stored in the computer (like a bad knock sensor).

n00b on demand 11-20-2005 05:49 PM

Relax. Just because you hear a "faint" knocking doesn't mean that your engine is going to go on the fritz and all hell is going to break loose. How does the car drive? Does it stall or do anything weird? Is the car acting completley normal despite the knocking noise? My engine also has a very faint knocking sometimes...mostly when its cold :rolleyes: . Check the oil level as well. :)

ensteele 11-20-2005 05:54 PM

Don't worry yet. These engines usually go 300,000 miles or more without any trouble unless they overheat. The lifters tick from time to time, but nothing to get worried about. I understand that you just got the car and are somewhat cautious about what will happen next. We ARE here to HELP YOU !!!! :) Let's take one step at a time and check out what the suggestions were before my post. :)

ensteele 11-20-2005 05:56 PM

By the way, check out the local SVX membership at http://www.nwsvx.com and get registered (free) for lots of fun and get togethers. Welcome to the site. :)

TomsSVX 11-20-2005 06:46 PM

all of my svx engines...had a couple :rolleyes: ... have had a slight knock to them at idle... I dunno I figured it came with the teritorry. THe only reason I even notice is becuase I am meticulous about the mechanical shape my vehicles are in... cosmetic is yet another story :rolleyes:

Tom

Chiketkd 11-20-2005 07:01 PM

Another thing, depending on the mileage of the SVX you just purchased, it's good insurance to replace all six spark plugs and do an oil change. From there, plan on doing a radiator flush, replacing the fuel filter and drain and refill the transmission atf (do NOT have it power flushed!).

-Chike

svxxx26 11-20-2005 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
all of my svx engines...had a couple :rolleyes: ... have had a slight knock to them at idle... I dunno I figured it came with the teritorry. THe only reason I even notice is becuase I am meticulous about the mechanical shape my vehicles are in... cosmetic is yet another story :rolleyes:

Tom

Same here. My SVX has had a "slight knock" since I bought it 10 years ago. Freaked me out at first too, but it comes and goes and never has gotten worse or affected performance.

dcarrb 11-21-2005 06:12 AM

My experience with five Subarus enforces these truths:

1. All leak oil.

2. All knock, tap, klunk, groan, whine and/or whistle "Dixie."

3. All will last beyond 200,000 miles unless routinely abused.

My SVX engine is the quietest of the lot, and she purrs like a contented kitten at idle, but listen closely with the hood up and you can hear a symphony of curious, muted noises. It's a Subaru.

dcb

red95svx 11-21-2005 07:02 AM

They all tick to some degree. The tick should be just barely audible when the engine is fully warmed and all the windows are up.

Dave

intelisevil 11-21-2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red95svx
They all tick to some degree. The tick should be just barely audible when the engine is fully warmed and all the windows are up.

Dave

Dave

I've got to disagree with that . . .

My sticky lifter is loud as heck with a window opened even a little bit.

When my windows are all up I can't hear it due to SVXi superior use of sound deadening materials!!!

chancuff 11-21-2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Another thing, depending on the mileage of the SVX you just purchased, it's good insurance to replace all six spark plugs and do an oil change. From there, plan on doing a radiator flush, replacing the fuel filter and drain and refill the transmission atf (do NOT have it power flushed!).

-Chike

Why not powerflush?

n00b on demand 11-21-2005 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chancuff
Why not powerflush?

Washes away alot of the friction material and in alot of cases after a power flush on a high mileage transmission alot of people have had tranny failures or slippage.

red95svx 11-21-2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil
Dave

I've got to disagree with that . . .

My sticky lifter is loud as heck with a window opened even a little bit.

I was describing a "normal" tick.

Dave