The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oxygen sensors (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52178)

blue thunder 11-02-2009 11:43 AM

Oxygen sensors

I just have a few general questions. While holding steady around 40 mph the throttle sound changes in and out. The speed stays the same just fine. I checked my engine codes and I am getting 32 and 37. Both oxygen sensors. The cheapest I found is around 100.00 each. Do I have to replace them to get the engine running smoothly again. I am going to try a throttle body cleaning as well. I am strapped for cash at the moment. Just wanted more info on this matter. Thanks.

Mike:)

oab_au 11-02-2009 03:35 PM

Re: Oxygen sensors

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 623860)
I just have a few general questions. While holding steady around 40 mph the throttle sound changes in and out. The speed stays the same just fine. I checked my engine codes and I am getting 32 and 37. Both oxygen sensors. The cheapest I found is around 100.00 each. Do I have to replace them to get the engine running smoothly again. I am going to try a throttle body cleaning as well. I am strapped for cash at the moment. Just wanted more info on this matter. Thanks.

Mike getting a code for both O2 sensors does not mean that they are faulty. it just means that the reading that the ECU is getting from them is out of limits. There is probably some other fault that is causing the out of limits reading, like a air leak, or a MAF sensor, etc.
I would check things that will cause a mixture problem.

Harvey.

Subix 11-03-2009 02:15 AM

It may not be it at all... but mine was throwing 32 and 37 for the longest time before my alternator finally went. After I replaced the alternator, the codes haven't came back and I've been driving it for well over a month. Just an idea...

blue thunder 11-03-2009 09:56 AM

Thanks for the reply's. I did have my stereo start shutting on and off for no known reason a week ago. No other electrical problems. When I am driving at lower speeds(40 and under) and not applying some sort of gas the car will buckle and lurch. Highway speeds the car runs normal although maybe too rich or lean not sure. I sprayed my throttle body out with a throttle body cleaner, wiped it down and cleaned my MAF yesterday. It still buckles. I was reading about oxygen sensors and some people soak them in gasoline for at least a day and use a wire brush if needed to clean the tip. What if I switched them around? Could that possibly help? Any more feedback appreciated. Thanks.

kwren 11-03-2009 12:02 PM

More than likely not the 02 sensors at all. Odds of both failing at the same time is nil. Many things give that code. I refer it to a "catch all" code.

Harvey, as usual, is correct.

Keith:cool:

blue thunder 11-08-2009 10:18 AM

To somewhat finalize this post I switched the oxygen sensors around and the shuddering stopped. I drove over 170 miles last friday and it ran pretty good. None of the symtoms I had before. I erased the codes and they didn't come back. I also added the Lucas fuel injection cleaner to a tank of gas. One more thing is I checked the alternator output with the engine running thru the battery. At first it stayed around 12 and did not go into the 14 range as it should. I shut off the engine and loosened the belt a little bit. Restarted it and the belt made a little squeal and then the amperage went into the 14 range. I don't have a digital tester. By the way could someone tell me how to change my e-mail address on here. Thanks for the help.

SoCal LS-L 11-08-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 624496)
To somewhat finalize this post I switched the oxygen sensors around and the shuddering stopped. I drove over 170 miles last friday and it ran pretty good. None of the symtoms I had before. I erased the codes and they didn't come back. I also added the Lucas fuel injection cleaner to a tank of gas. One more thing is I checked the alternator output with the engine running thru the battery. At first it stayed around 12 and did not go into the 14 range as it should. I shut off the engine and loosened the belt a little bit. Restarted it and the belt made a little squeal and then the amperage went into the 14 range. I don't have a digital tester. By the way could someone tell me how to change my e-mail address on here. Thanks for the help.

Go to "User CP" above on the toolbar, then to "Edit E-Mail and password"