The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How hard is it to change engine mounts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20174)

svxsubaru1 07-24-2004 04:14 PM

How hard is it to change engine mounts?

Iam not sure if there bad, but i think there going out, becasue my engine seems to rock around a decent amount and it has 128,000 on them. I was just wondering how hard is it to change the 2 under the engine is there a way so you dont need to take out the engine or use a engine hoist? I was thinking of ungrading to a STi mounts, but i rember redinging on this board that the plates cant be used or some thing, but i also read that the plates are spose to be diffrent for a more direct power dervilery? If i did the mounts should i use the plates if there are thicker?

lee 07-24-2004 04:56 PM

I can't say this with 100% certainty since I've never done the job myself, but at the 99.9% level the mounts can be R&Red with the engine in place - I know Beav did it (he's quite an adept mechanic, but then I don't know your skill level).

Back to the topic....I also couldn't say how much movement was enough to warrant replacing the mounts...but I can tell you they are quite expensive as motor mounts go.

mbtoloczko 07-25-2004 10:49 AM

I've got the STi Group N motor and tranny mounts. The Group N mounts are about 1/4" shorter and some slotting and welding is required. My mechanic (Dave Clark Motorsports in Kent) did the motor mounts while the tranny was out of the car. He had his doubts about whether the Group N mounts could installed with the tranny in the car. Not sure how that applies to the stock motor mounts.

Earthworm 07-29-2004 12:42 PM

Where did you get the motor mounts from? I wouldn't mind a little upgrade.

mbtoloczko 07-29-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Where did you get the motor mounts from? I wouldn't mind a little upgrade.
Most of the online WRX shops sell the Group N motor and tranny mounts. Try for instance, Oakos or Nino's Auto Accessories. A search in Google will return both of these shops.

Earthworm 08-04-2004 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Most of the online WRX shops sell the Group N motor and tranny mounts. Try for instance, Oakos or Nino's Auto Accessories. A search in Google will return both of these shops.
Is there a specific part# to look for or did you just use ones for the 2.0 WRX engine? (I don't know if there is a difference)

mbtoloczko 08-04-2004 10:24 AM

I don't know the part number, but the key is to ask for the "STi Group N" motor and/or tranny mounts. Don't need to specify WRX, but that's what they will fit.

Earthworm 08-04-2004 10:32 AM

Actually I just ordered the mounts from northernperformance.ca

Both the engine and tranny mounts come to $245 (~USD$185) including shipping.

mbtoloczko 08-04-2004 10:41 AM

Good price.