The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Outgrown server (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64288)

Chris 04-27-2017 11:00 AM

Outgrown server

It was bound to happen, but after 10+ years on the same server, we are on our last leg. Time for a new/newer server that hard drives are readily available and not $200+ a piece for a mere 300gb USED! :mad:

Keep in mind, we have data, posts, images, and photos all the way back to out to our beginning in 2001.

theflystyle 04-27-2017 11:47 AM

Re: Outgrown server

I noticed some downtime earlier today.

Are donations needed?

ensteele 04-30-2017 12:15 AM

Yes, we are going to post how to donate to this project very soon. Watch for it. Thanks

Chris 05-06-2017 11:13 AM

Looking at the member login data, activity is really low. I might use this time to migrate to a server with newer disk technology (low cost, low power) and put it on a residential DSL connection. The bandwidth use does not justify full data center existence any longer.

Chris 05-11-2017 08:33 PM

Between the SVX World Forums, the SVX Nation on Facebook, and the SVX World Network group on Facebook that is NOT the SVX World Network, I am thinking that the more I keep trying to upkeep this place, I am only taking away from all the other places. Is this a moot point? How many people would actually miss the SVX World Network versus all the other social media forms out there today? I know I was the first to start this place as the split from commercial in your face ads, but it seems everyone is now used to them and the cleanliness of this site is actually more barren. :confused::confused::confused:

SvXit 05-12-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 746610)
Between the SVX World Forums, the SVX Nation on Facebook, and the SVX World Network group on Facebook that is NOT the SVX World Network, I am thinking that the more I keep trying to upkeep this place, I am only taking away from all the other places. Is this a moot point? How many people would actually miss the SVX World Network versus all the other social media forms out there today? I know I was the first to start this place as the split from commercial in your face ads, but it seems everyone is now used to them and the cleanliness of this site is actually more barren. :confused::confused::confused:

Not certain what others will say, but I would definitely miss this location. I am on FB, but choose not to share car-related details on there. Others' methods or reasons will certainly vary, but I prefer this site to FB. I don't mind lurking on the Facebook sites, but I don't give much in the way of details there.

gwynethh 05-12-2017 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 746610)

This place is a solid gold mine for SVX owners or wanna-bes. The archived info is priceless. Also this place is very friendly as things on FB can sometimes be short fused. Wish I could help with your upkeep and I am sure others feel the same way. Please keep things going as they are if possible.

SVXMAN2001 05-12-2017 06:58 AM

This website has been a wealth of information and support for the past 15 years for me. I can actually remember the day i registered with this website. The activity of late is disconcerting, as I too prefer this website (it's home) over other online information exchanges. Sadly, i think FB is overtaking traditional forums in popularity. However, it would be a shame to lose all the institutional knowledge and experiences that have accumulating over the last decade and a half.

I seem to recall there being a post about soliciting for donations, please keep me/us posted, as I'd be willing to give back to the community that has given me so much.

MCMXCII SVX 05-12-2017 08:37 AM

I'm not on FB or other social media sites and have little intention of joining them so I would miss this forum. It has been my only connection with other SVX owners and it contains a wealth of good information.

That being said, I understand the time, cost and frustration of maintaining a site with diminishing activity. I would understand completely if you chose to close it. I would hope that before doing so you could find a way to keep all the valuable information found here available somewhere else.

Chris 05-12-2017 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, I will continue the grind. I guess I just wanted to make sure it was worth it. I saw over 200 post reads about our issues and no initial responses and it just planted a seed that no one cared. Also when the logs show almost 200 unique connections for post reads and such, but only 5 members, its hard to tell what is legitimate use and the near 200 connections for unknown purposes.

SvXit 05-12-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 746616)
ok, I will continue the grind. I guess I just wanted to make sure it was worth it. I saw over 200 post reads about our issues and no initial responses and it just planted a seed that no one cared. Also when the logs show almost 200 unique connections for post reads and such, but only 5 members, its hard to tell what is legitimate use and the near 200 connections for unknown purposes.

Chris, I can definitely understand your concerns on whether people are here or not. However, my sense is that there are a large number of people who simply prefer this format to FB or, dare I say, even SVX Nation. I like all of the sites, but this is the one I personally prefer. I'm the moderator of the old Yahoo forum (which still gets members from time-to-time), but this is where I normally go. As others have indicated, there is a lot more going on on Facebook than just SVX content, so it is great to have a few places to go that deal strictly with these cars. Even on Yahoo, I have had to fight off a number of spammers and people who wanted to start political discussions there. Forums like this and Yahoo should, in my opinion, stay has sites with SVX-only content. When I got another SVX after a ten year absence, this is where I came to re-immerse myself as it were, so thanks to you and many others who have provided such great content over the years!

bwb3 05-12-2017 10:02 AM

This is my only place to be. Ready and willing to contribute again. Just say when and where.
Gene

Alycone 05-13-2017 12:26 AM

I've wandered back :)

bishop 05-13-2017 01:05 AM

I dont have a lot ton contribute right now, not that I dont want to. My bookmarks list is full of useful threads with info that I can only find here.

ensteele 05-13-2017 09:34 PM

If anyone else has an opinion about this site, now is the time to speak up. :)