The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What this sun visor problem? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26354)

Eric's97 05-22-2005 10:51 PM

What this sun visor problem?

I hear SVX's have a problem with the sun visors sagging. I think my passenger side is having the issue

Can someone explain it? Any way to fix it?

shelfy 05-22-2005 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric's97
I hear SVX's have a problem with the sun visors sagging. I think my passenger side is having the issue

Can someone explain it? Any way to fix it?

basically it droops and no longer stay all the way up. you could either replace it or repair it. i remember reading a while back about a fix. if you're not handy, one of our independent mechanics has fix for it. the visors in my 92 didn't sag very badly, so i never bothered with it.

ensteele 05-23-2005 08:09 AM

There are a couple of fixes in the How-To Documents. The one link is one of them and there is another one as well. Good luck. :)

Eric's97 05-23-2005 04:47 PM

Whats going on with mine is the flap that covers the vanity mirror wont stay closed on the passenger side. Never seen a car do it before. It just annoys me. But the visor is not sagging.

n00b on demand 05-23-2005 05:06 PM

Cut it off.

Earthworm 05-23-2005 06:27 PM

Quote:

Whats going on with mine is the flap that covers the vanity mirror wont stay closed on the passenger side. Never seen a car do it before. It just annoys me. But the visor is not sagging.

Just replace it with velcro. Either that or the magnet is missing.

JIMSVX 05-23-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Mine did that after we bought it in San Diego and drove it home to St. Louis in January. It did it when we were "at altitude", somewhere above 4,000 ft or so in Arizona and New Mexico. It looked like air was trapped in the flap and it was blown up like a balloon, so much so that the magnet wouldn't hold the flap shut. I was ready to "pop" the balloon when we started dropping to lower altitude as we got closer to Texas, and the balloon deflated. Ever since it works fine.

Eric, you need to move out of CO and down to a lower altitude.

- Jim

clarkerussell 10-17-2005 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMSVX
Mine did that after we bought it in San Diego and drove it home to St. Louis in January. It did it when we were "at altitude", somewhere above 4,000 ft or so in Arizona and New Mexico. It looked like air was trapped in the flap and it was blown up like a balloon, so much so that the magnet wouldn't hold the flap shut. I was ready to "pop" the balloon when we started dropping to lower altitude as we got closer to Texas, and the balloon deflated. Ever since it works fine.

- Jim

Mine is all "ballooned up" as well... I'm in Charlotte, NC so there is really no excuse. I guess I need to vent it and spray in some glue to hold it down..

dwd1985 10-18-2005 12:58 PM

Im from Colorado too, but I dont get the "balloon" effect, so im not sure it has to do with altitude at all. However, mine do droop rather badly.

alia176 10-13-2011 06:22 AM

Re: What this sun visor problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm (Post 311549)
Just replace it with velcro. Either that or the magnet is missing.

Bringing this old thread up to the top just in case it helps someone else.

I'm having similar issues with the driver side visor, the vanity mirror flap doesn't stick to the magnet. It's interesting that this visor is less than three years old. Upon comparing the magnet strength with the original, sagging passenger sun visor magnet, it appears that the passenger magnet is four times stronger than the driver side magnet!

Just a FYI.

Conn SVX 10-13-2011 09:06 AM

Believe it or not magnets do loos their strength over 20 years , as a mater a fact most things do . I did

SVX92-97 10-13-2011 09:57 AM

Seeing where on this subject, I have a super clean pair of beige visors that sag if ayone is feeling ambitious. $40 shipped for the pair

kwren 10-13-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMSVX (Post 311600)
...as we got closer to Texas, and the balloon deflated. Ever since it works fine.

- Jim

Maybe just move to Texas? Nice people there!!

Isn't there a song about those "crazy little Texas women, and I'm going to get me one??

Keith:cool:

kwren 10-13-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alia176 (Post 688559)
Bringing this old thread up to the top just in case it helps someone else.

I'm having similar issues with the driver side visor, the vanity mirror flap doesn't stick to the magnet.

Just a FYI.

Don't personally "primp" that much so I am not sure how mine are doing... As far as sagging, none of my 6, on the 3 SVX's, sag.

alia176 10-13-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 688672)
Don't personally "primp" that much so I am not sure how mine are doing... As far as sagging, none of my 6, on the 3 SVX's, sag.

I don't "primp" at all but it's freaking annoying to have the flap in my line of sight :mad: while driving into the sun. We have a lot of sun here in NM.