The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Awd (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22189)

NiftySVX 10-24-2004 01:41 PM

Awd

Hey guys

Anyone ever have a problem with thier SVX tranny where it feels like the rear wheels aren't being driven and the front wheels will spin excessively?

Phoenix_3737 10-24-2004 01:44 PM

i dont know much about this but ive heard of people putting a fuse in the FWD box in the fuse box in the engine compartment and it made them spin excessively

oab_au 10-24-2004 04:52 PM

Re: Awd

Quote:

Originally posted by NiftySVX
Hey guys

Anyone ever have a problem with thier SVX tranny where it feels like the rear wheels aren't being driven and the front wheels will spin excessively?

Yep there have been a few. The Transfer clutch valving sticks, or the C solenoid fails to work, this will prevent the clutch from operating to stop front wheel spin, by engaging the rear wheels.

You could check that the FWD fuse is not inserted in the under hood fuse box.

The Transfer clutch housing can be removed from the back of the box to replace the C solenoid valve assemble and the clutch plates.

Till you fix it ,DON'T SPIN THE FRONT WHEELS, IT CAN CAUSE THE FRONT DIFF TO BREAK.

Harvey. ;)

NiftySVX 10-24-2004 06:13 PM

Duty Solenoid C

I have no space in the fusebox for a fwd fuse because I converted this car from FWD. I had to custom make the harness for the AT OIL TEMP and FWD lights and the FWD switch. I Have a replacement duty solenoid C, I just haven't put it in yet. I hope it will fix it tho, it was a 90 dollar part. The TCU should detect a siezure of solenoid c according to the subaru RM. anyone out there replaced duty solenoid c and/or the transfer control valve?

NiftySVX

lee 10-24-2004 08:11 PM

replacing the solenoid isn't overly hard, just time consuming - have to pull the driveshaft and take off the transfer case housing - careful the wires aren't too long. The search button is your friend - try "solenoid and transfer".

But, have you done a pressure test on the AWD section? It could be the solenoid is working fine, but the plates are worn over time - and worsened by differing tire sizes/pressures not set correctly.

if you have a good internet connection download the tranny manual in my locker. part 2 has disassembly instructions, part 3 has assembly. BTW, I have not personally done this repair so your use of the words & pics in the manual is at your own risk.

oab_au 10-25-2004 05:26 PM

Re: Duty Solenoid C

Quote:

Originally posted by NiftySVX
I have no space in the fusebox for a fwd fuse because I converted this car from FWD. I had to custom make the harness for the AT OIL TEMP and FWD lights and the FWD switch. I Have a replacement duty solenoid C, I just haven't put it in yet. I hope it will fix it tho, it was a 90 dollar part. The TCU should detect a siezure of solenoid c according to the subaru RM. anyone out there replaced duty solenoid c and/or the transfer control valve?

NiftySVX

Just to get this right. You fitted a AWD box and rear end to a FWD car. I assume that you fitted a AWD TCU also?

Harvey.;)

NiftySVX 10-25-2004 06:03 PM

AWD

I do have an awd TCU and I have tested the transfer pressure.
It won't be the first time I have had a 4EAT apart, and I own the service manuals. The transfer pressure is 0 untill wheel slippage occurs, then it jumps up and then falls back to zero. I was wondering if the MP-T was worn. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue.
Thanks,
NiftySVX