The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Drove a WRX... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11505)

Mr. Pockets 06-21-2003 12:51 PM

Drove a WRX...

A friend at work was recently contacted by SOA. Subaru R&D has a facility here in A2 where they conduct their emissions testing. SOA asked my friend if they could borrow his 2001 OBS for a month and, in the meantime, give him a brand-new WRX to drive.

It really is new. I just drove it and it had all of 702 miles on the odometer. I won't give you a full review of the car, because I don't feel like I've really driven a WRX. Why? Because this one is an auto.

Ick.

Don't get me wrong - I like the auto in the SVX. I just don't think it belongs in the WRX.

Anyway, it was fun. I really like the car. It's a really nice car with an auto, but it's also pretty obvious that the car can be so much more fun with a 5-speed.

Landshark 06-21-2003 02:20 PM

we had to get an auto because its mostly the wife's car. i have noticed that the computer is pretty sensitive to driving habits. after she drives it a while, i have to open it up and get on it a while before it becomes FUN again. after that, its just plain nasty! like the SVX, it seems more sporty in '3', too. with only 700 miles on it, yours probably isn't even broken in. ours seems to get a little quicker (and better gas mileage) as the miles add up. i'm actually glad i got the auto - i'm getting kinda lazy, not to mention all the clutch problems the 5-speeds have.

.....and the auto's have the more advanced AWD system. ;)

inline 06-23-2003 03:38 PM

I had a WRX (5 speed) for the past 2 years.
I traded in my SVX for it. (After the tranny died for the 2nd time)

It was an absolute blast to drive.
The only problem was I could not fit anything into it.
Kinda hard to remodel a house with one. :)
I think it has even less cargo room than a SVX

I just traded it in for an Explorer for the wife.

Now I am looking for a SVX for myself :D

Chris

svxxx26 06-23-2003 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by inline
I had a WRX (5 speed) for the past 2 years.
I traded in my SVX for it. (After the tranny died for the 2nd time)

It was an absolute blast to drive.
The only problem was I could not fit anything into it.
Kinda hard to remodel a house with one. :)
I think it has even less cargo room than a SVX

Right you are...well, I think the WRX trunk is a little bigger, if only the back seats would fold down! Kinda negates the added trunk size. I don't think I could live with it as an only car.

It IS a blast to drive ;)

solarsvx 06-24-2003 07:42 AM

i loev the wrx best bang for the $ out there almost . besides the neon srt . i just not a fan of the boxy styling, and the complicated boxer engine,

benebob 06-24-2003 08:31 AM

Just drove a WRX

Am I missing something or doesn't the WRX come as a wagon as well?:D :D :D It adds less than 100lbs to the overall weight plus its gotta be a heck of a lot safer for everyone than driving around in an Exploder.

Landshark 06-24-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by solarsvx
i just not a fan of the boxy styling, and the complicated boxer engine,
and your SVX is powered by........?

inline 06-24-2003 09:00 AM

The only reason I got the Ford was because I got a great deal on it. The wagon just is not big enough for 3 kids and cargo.

I am in the process of remodeling my house and I don't feel like beating the crap out of a nice Subaru. (That's what Fords are for)
:D

Chris

benebob 06-24-2003 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by inline
The only reason I got the Ford was because I got a great deal on it. The wagon just is not big enough for 3 kids and cargo.

I am in the process of remodeling my house and I don't feel like beating the crap out of a nice Subaru. (That's what Fords are for)
:D

Chris

or Subaru Brats:D . I'm in the same process. Spent 7 hours last night rewiring a stupid doorbell that actually goes through the door frame and hangs right there. The old wiring was 70 years old and had degraded so far that the rubber would just break of in your hand. Only worked every once and a while as it had a short somewhere in the wire. What's the need to take the kids anywhere?

solarsvx 06-24-2003 09:14 AM

Quote:

and your SVX is powered by........?
a complicated engine, !!!

wrx has up pipes,, down pipes,, weird intercooling piping. umm left pipes, and who ever else knows, i prefer simple inline turbo engines, thats why supras are so hot right now plus u can run large turbos

inline 06-24-2003 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob

What's the need to take the kids anywhere?

Ya know!!?!? :D :D

museumquality 06-26-2003 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a new 03 wrx for 21,100. I've since performed upgrades pushing 300whp -375hp. Soon to be up around 315whp with a new water injection system.
The car is so much fun!! With a set of off-road rally wheels/tires it becomes even more fun.

j

SVXRide 06-26-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob

or Subaru Brats:D . I'm in the same process. Spent 7 hours last night rewiring a stupid doorbell that actually goes through the door frame and hangs right there. The old wiring was 70 years old and had degraded so far that the rubber would just break of in your hand. Only worked every once and a while as it had a short somewhere in the wire. What's the need to take the kids anywhere?

You know, they have doorbells now that don't require hardwiring:D
-Bill (speaking as the owner of a 115 year old house...)

benebob 06-26-2003 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide

You know, they have doorbells now that don't require hardwiring:D
-Bill (speaking as the owner of a 115 year old house...)

Looked that direction too they don't have old style 3"X5" bells that fit where a previous idiot put a huge door bell using an inch drill into the oak woodwork in a very noticable spot. I needed something to cover it up. Would've done the battery sensor route but it just is too small an area.:( Oh well its done now and I only have to do minor repairs to the door frame in a very well hidden area.

inline 06-26-2003 01:45 PM

You know you have grown up when you spend more money at Home Depot than you do on your car!

Chris