The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New SVX owner - and rate what i bought. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51864)

Hortanica 10-02-2009 12:06 AM

New SVX owner - and rate what i bought.

Hey guys, my names Mike and i just bought a 94 SVX.

I got it as a 'winter beater' because my other car - well doesnt fair well in rain and can't imagine it in snow. My summer car is a 2000 Celica GTS 6 speed w/ full trd suspension (struts/springs/sways) and RMM strut tower bar, evo2 exhaust, cai and greddy emu + camcon. (theres a lot more but you get the idea ;) ) Ive learned everything i know on cars on this car and i love driving it. Its not to quick off the line, but 60-140mph is extremely quick and taking on/off ramps at 90 is a blast.

Now, for what i picked up. Its a 94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red with 134,500 miles. The carfax checks out - only 2 previous owners (one from 1/95-3/04) and the second from 04-09. The car has some rust on the outside. Expected from a 94 in the Buffalo NY area. (theres spots on the rear quarter panels and the doors) I also just had to use a split flange to fix the exhaust after the 2>1 cat due to it rusting off. The interior is spotless. Leather looks almost new with a few stitches coming loose on the bottom part of the driver seat. It does have a few things im going to take off (look at the pics, you should know what im talking about lol)

The transmission also works fine. shifts smooth (when not in 'power') and doesnt seem to have any problems. Only other thing i have to figure out on the car, is the engine bay is really hot and has a weird smell, kind of like coolant/oil burning. The brakes were also just done so maybe its them...

I paid 1200$ for it. That seemed fair to me, if anything just so i can have a nice awd winter car. whether its worth it or not...idk.

Heres some pics if your curious:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2hpqdec.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2zntifa.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/14d0b2b.jpg

Overall, im probably going to leave it stock/return it to stock and fix the rust spots/remove the bat thing/chrome vent things.

But just sayin hi and seeing what you guys think.

Mike

Landshark 10-02-2009 12:18 AM

Re: New SVX owner - and rate what i bought.

the Batcave is missing a car.

Sean486 10-02-2009 03:43 AM

Interior looks pretty clean. I'm just glad to hear it is out of the hands of someone who thinks stick-on plastic vents are nice mods.

Blacky 10-02-2009 06:14 AM

I've seen that car with the Bacardi Bat before. Was it on Ebay?

Ownbot 10-02-2009 10:11 AM

Yes it was on Ebay. I remember casue my girl loved the bat!!

gbianchi 10-02-2009 03:42 PM

the interior is worth the price of the car!! you have a very nice "winter beater" with decent tires this winter could be your finest to date, you might just have to go drive in the white fluffy stuff for fun, happy driving.............G

Hortanica 10-02-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbianchi (Post 620082)
the interior is worth the price of the car!! you have a very nice "winter beater" with decent tires this winter could be your finest to date, you might just have to go drive in the white fluffy stuff for fun, happy driving.............G

Thats what i wanted to hear! lol. After browsing these forums for a little bit i thought i either got a deal, or at least didnt get raped.

And to the people who saw it on ebay, is that good or bad? i saw it on craigslist and bought it the next day without really talking about him a whole lot...

Also, turns out under the 2 different floor mats are the stock ones in mint condition. no stains or anything!

subiemech85 10-02-2009 10:45 PM

IIRC it was discussed here in same thread with a lime green svx on the bay

Green1995SVX 10-02-2009 10:53 PM

I wonder what happened to the leather on the drivers seat. It looks like it has shrunk!

Mike

subiemech85 10-02-2009 11:54 PM

that (most likely) is what happens when leather is neglected :(

the prevention is simple... 50/50 pine-sol and water cleaner applied with a windex bottle, scrub with a nail brush, wipe off with cotton towels

dry

apply lexol NF and use small thin sponge to ensure even coverage
let soak in, then wipe off with cotton towels

ensteele 10-03-2009 11:29 AM

You have got a good SVX there. I would not consider it a beater though. Please treat it with respect. :) If you treat it that way, it will give you many enjoyable miles in or out of the snow. Good luck with the car. :)

ensteele 10-03-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subiemech85 (Post 620137)
that (most likely) is what happens when leather is neglected :(

the prevention is simple... 50/50 pine-sol and water cleaner applied with a windex bottle, scrub with a nail brush, wipe off with cotton towels

dry

apply lexol NF and use small thin sponge to ensure even coverage
let soak in, then wipe off with cotton towels

You should post that information in the detailing forum under leather care. :)

Black88GTA 10-03-2009 02:03 PM

I bought my SVX for the same reason as you - my primary car is trash in the snow. Yours looks to be in much nicer shape than mine body wise (although I'd lose the bat and the chrome vents). Mine is also a '94 LSi, and I paid $1000 for it. Spent FAR more than that just getting it mechanically sorted out...there was a lot wrong with it. Hopefully yours is in better shape than mine mechanically...hell, it couldn't be worse. :o

So, I think you did OK :) Welcome.

StelthSvx 10-03-2009 03:27 PM

mighty fine "cup holder" !!!!:D im gonna have to source that:)

ensteele 10-03-2009 05:47 PM

Now you have to get your SVX information to the Registration Forum. Pick the thread for 94s and add your information and I will get it on the list. :)