The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   tranny filter bypass? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33148)

McVeigh 05-10-2006 11:22 AM

tranny filter bypass?

my mechanic is installing a new (to me) tranny in my 92 LSL and i had him install a transmission filter as well. he is now saying that he thinks i should bypass the aftermarket filter that was on the car when i bought it. he doesn't think that there will be enough pressure to keep good flow to keep the tranny cool. has anyone had experience with this? i thought that the filter came stock on the 92, but he says it wasn't included until later years. so how do later model SVXs with external coolers and filters perform with the same setup? bigger hoses?

anyway, i'm looking for some advice on wether or not to have him bypass the filter.

cheers,
mcveigh

intelisevil 05-10-2006 12:19 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing a response on this! From what I understand, the stock filter is a permanent unit, I've never seen anyone suggest replacing it as part of normal maintenance. :confused:

Your mechanic is correct that it wasn't 'stock' on '92s. It was installed on early models as part of a Subaru recall. Other, more informed members would be able to tell you exactly when it became a 'stock' factory installed item.

Dan

svxcess 05-10-2006 02:07 PM

Here is the TSB on the filter kit. The TSB was instituted May, 1993, and included all 92 SVX's up to and including NH106285

http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../42748095.html

It was designed to address problems in the 92 SVX. The early cars also had a mesh screen inside the tranny cooler, located in the radiator. This screen would tend to plug up with contaminants, which reduced or stopped ATF flow, causing transmission overheating and failure.

Once the transmission upgrades and improvements were made, and the screen removed from the internal tranny cooler, this filter became unnecessary. In the later years after 1993, the filter was not installed by the factory.

Quote:

the stock filter is a permanent unit, I've never seen anyone suggest replacing it as part of normal maintenance.
The filter is designed to be maintenance-free under normal driving conditions. It will not require periodic replacement. The only time replacement is necessary is in case of a transmission failure which leads to excessive metal contamination of the fluid. (From the TSB)

However, I know a few members who have changed this filter on a regular basis.

McVeigh 05-10-2006 02:38 PM

do you think it would restrict flow with an external cooler in a 92 enough to warrant bypassing the filter?

Budfreak 05-10-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McVeigh
do you think it would restrict flow with an external cooler in a 92 enough to warrant bypassing the filter?

I wouldn't bypass it. I had no problems with mine, But due to a sound in my torque converter that lead me to change trannies, I changed the filter with a summit remote mount tranny filter and have experienced no problems with it either. It shifts great and stays cool. Just tell him to leave it or even better, Change it for a new one since you changed trannies.;)

P.S. The remote mount filter from summit is only 30 bucks and good insurance for your new tranny.:)

kuoh 05-10-2006 05:02 PM

My 92 has the filter and is pushing through two external coolers and hasn't gotten worse. I did however, replace the filter back around Y2K when I installed the coolers. I'd say that unless he has evidence that the filter is clogged, don't bother bypassing it unless he's willing to do it for free and do it right, by replacing the entire hose and not just installing a coupler.

KuoH