The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   tranny temp w/undertray removal report (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12419)

Landshark 08-04-2003 04:13 PM

tranny temp w/undertray removal report

i removed my plastic belly pan a few weeks ago and noticed the tranny fluid temp drop a decent amount, but i really put it through a test over the weekend. i was running some errands - 84 deg outside and humid, all stop-n-go traffic and a BUNCH of uphill driving. with the undertray on, i'd probably be well up over 200 deg - a STOCK SVX would probably be puking up boiling transmission fluid all over the road! i peaked out at about 187 deg for a short time (after a long uphill stretch), but quickly cooled off afterward, averaging between 170-180.

my plan is to keep the undertray off in the summer, and put it back on when the temps start cooling off in the fall. it'll also keep salt and gunk off of the under side in winter. :)

mbtoloczko 08-04-2003 05:31 PM

Yeah, I see the same thing. Inlet temp into the tranny is a solid 15 F lower with the belly pan removed.

michael 08-04-2003 08:58 PM

landshark

I decided to keep the bellypan off my svx it's in great cond, let me know if you're still interested. $50.00 o.b.o. If you need a pic let me know.

ensteele 08-04-2003 10:12 PM

I PMed you about it. :)

svx_commuter 08-05-2003 07:16 AM

Summer off winter on, a great idea. :) I will have to give this a try. Makes sense as all the engine heat is direct to the tranny tunnel when the pan is on. I wonder if it effects the brake rotor cooling/brake fade?

oab_au 08-06-2003 05:33 PM

panless model?

My car is a 95 LSi Australian delivered model and as far as I can tell, it never did have the back part of the cover on it.

It was owned by Subaru Australia before I got it. So I don't know if it was taken off by them, or if all the Aust models did not have the rear section.

Anybody else notice that their model, does not have it.?

Harvey. ;)

driverdave 08-07-2003 02:36 PM

I have a 92 and a 94 (american), and neither of mine have a rear section. I don't think they ever had one.

I took mine off yesterday (the only one there was), and I don't have a tranny temp guage, but I was wondering if you noticed any difference in the coolant temp.

Mine has gone above normal a few times in really hot weather, and I was hoping the pan removal might help that; in addition to the cooler tranny temps.

mbtoloczko 08-07-2003 03:22 PM

Re: panless model?

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au
My car is a 95 LSi Australian delivered model and as far as I can tell, it never did have the back part of the cover on it.

It was owned by Subaru Australia before I got it. So I don't know if it was taken off by them, or if all the Aust models did not have the rear section.

Anybody else notice that their model, does not have it.?

Harvey. ;)

I bought my '95 L used. The front section of the belly pan looks like its designed to mate with a rear section, but my car does not have a rear section. I haven't looked for mounting holes on the car for a rear section. I'll have to do that. Do you see any mounting holes for a rear section?

Earthworm 10-08-2003 08:11 PM

I mentioned this in another thread but your sending unit for your temp gauge needs to be insulated from the air around it for a more accurate reading. Otherwise there will probably be added air circulating around the sending unit giving you a false gain in tranny cooling.

I would also suggest that testing be done with the pan on first then test after with the pan off as soon as possible.

Landshark 10-08-2003 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I mentioned this in another thread but your sending unit for your temp gauge needs to be insulated from the air around it for a more accurate reading. Otherwise there will probably be added air circulating around the sending unit giving you a false gain in tranny cooling.

I would also suggest that testing be done with the pan on first then test after with the pan off as soon as possible.

a little behind in our reading, are we? :D

i wrapped my sending unit in insulating foam tape a while ago. this LOWERED the temps because i think it was picking up heat from the engine. i have it in the external filter mount, below the battery.

Earthworm 10-22-2003 07:07 PM

Yes I admit I am playing catchup on my posts. I am focusing on this forum specifically right now.

I haven't insulated my sending unit as of yet. I doubt I will since project 5spd will be starting soon.

I'll end up giving the sending unit and gauge to my dad to use in his '69 Nova.