The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Replacing only the front tires? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51267)

jman050 08-12-2009 03:11 PM

Replacing only the front tires?

Ok so apparently my alignment is messed up because the steel belt is showing on the innermost 1/2 inch of my front drivers tire and its almost showing through on the passenger tire....the rear tires appear to be in good condition. Financially I am not in a position to drop nearly 600 on a set of 4 tires. Is there any way i can get away with replacing only the front 2 and playing with tire pressure to make sure the rolling diameter is equal so that it doesnt cause drivetrain issues?

SoCal LS-L 08-12-2009 03:24 PM

Re: Replacing only the front tires?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman050 (Post 613396)
Ok so apparently my alignment is messed up because the steel belt is showing on the innermost 1/2 inch of my front drivers tire and its almost showing through on the passenger tire....the rear tires appear to be in good condition. Financially I am not in a position to drop nearly 600 on a set of 4 tires. Is there any way i can get away with replacing only the front 2 and playing with tire pressure to make sure the rolling diameter is equal so that it doesnt cause drivetrain issues?

Pressure change wouldnt change the rolling diameter, the same length of rubber would contact the ground for every revolution. Steel belted radials arent like the old bias-ply balloons.

Mine has the same problem, exactly the same actually, I think its my balljoints that need replacement. I rotated mine to the back for now and the car still drives fine. Id just not take any freeway trips until you can get the new set.

BTW Tirerack.com has a set of 4 Kumho Ecsta AST's for $252 +tax, plus $50 shipping. I have used Kumhos on all my cars and they are great.

bheinen74 08-12-2009 03:52 PM

you could sell some of your jdm parts to pay for a set of 4.

Can you afford a 2,500 dollar transmission repair for doing this with just 2 tires?

jman050 08-12-2009 04:04 PM

the problem is less about be able to afford it in a week or 2 when my parts sell and more about being able to afford it tomorrow when i need it repaired so i can get to work

SomethingElse 08-12-2009 04:17 PM

If you that worried about and can only put 2 tires on at this time, put a fuse in your FWD socket.

jman050 08-12-2009 04:22 PM

how bad of an idea would it be to get some 215/45/17s which have a diameter of 24.6....my tires now brand new have a diameter of 24.7. its 1/10th smaller to compensate for an average amount of wear????????

or could I just pull the fuse and make it FWD? would this prevent the chances of hurting my drivetrain?