The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   shut off alarm system for good (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51953)

wold racing 10-10-2009 03:36 PM

shut off alarm system for good

How do I just turn off the alarm system so it doesn't work .... Unless I want to turn it on again some time a few months from now??? Not looking at a wire cutter here... jsut some switch that works to disarm it for awhile...

1986nate 10-10-2009 03:47 PM

Re: shut off alarm system for good

press the security switch so it is not lit up. It's on the left of the steering wheel just below the guages.

SoCal LS-L 10-10-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 621036)
press the security switch so it is not lit up. It's on the left of the steering wheel just below the guages.

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/h...te/colbert.gif

:D:D

wold racing 10-11-2009 08:12 PM

Tried that.. It keeps lit all the time...

SoCal LS-L 10-11-2009 08:49 PM

Ok so no matter what, every time you press the keyfob button the horn beeps as the doors lock? When the system is unarmed it will just lock and unlock the doors with the button, no beep.

So I guess the central theme here is whether you have tried the keyfob before and after pressing the button (try doing it with a little force).

No change, try replacing the security switch or opening it up and cleaning the contacts.

dcarrb 10-12-2009 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 621152)
When the system is unarmed it will just lock and unlock the doors with the button, no beep.

With security switched off, my horn always beeps (3-4 staccato chirps?) when using the remote, even though actual remote lock/unlock function has become a 50/50 proposition. I believe this is normal.

dcb

Hocrest 10-12-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 621191)
With security switched off, my horn always beeps (3-4 staccato chirps?) when using the remote, even though actual remote lock/unlock function has become a 50/50 proposition. I believe this is normal.

dcb

Yeah this is normal...

Security on = 1 beep arm, 2 beeps un-armed
Security off = 3-4 beeps when locked and unlocked

If your security light is on all the time, sounds like a problem with the module?
Does your remote work? Is it stock?

kcbsvx 10-12-2009 08:37 AM

If your car has dual airbags the alarm module is easily accessable on the roof of the trunk. Unplug it. On the earlier cars it is hidden behind the glove box.

SoCal LS-L 10-12-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 621191)

dcb

I just tried it again, no beeps with unlock or lock in unarmed mode :confused:

With all the other electrical oddities from the prev. owner, im somehow not that surprised :rolleyes:

wold racing 10-18-2009 08:46 PM

Ah ha!!! I don't have a remote with the car.... Can I buy one of those generic remote keyless entry things that are sold on ebay and use that or ideas on where I can get a remote??

Then what... I bet it is a pain to figure out how to program the keyless entry..

Also, how do I post a picture of my car???

wold racing 10-18-2009 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey... I think I loaded the picture!

wold racing 10-18-2009 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try again to see if a picture will show better...

ensteele 10-18-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wold racing (Post 622007)
Ah ha!!! I don't have a remote with the car.... Can I buy one of those generic remote keyless entry things that are sold on ebay and use that or ideas on where I can get a remote??

Then what... I bet it is a pain to figure out how to program the keyless entry..

Also, how do I post a picture of my car???

You got how to post a picture, so here is the answer about the remote. You can get both the OEM remote and an aftermarket one on ebay. Both work just fine, but the aftermarket one is $35.00 instead of $48.00. Good luck. :)

Oh, it isn't hard to program it at all. Look in the How-To Documents for the instructions. :D