The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crashed Silver in Greenville SC, Owner? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37534)

DreamingOfSpeed 02-16-2007 08:12 PM

Crashed Silver in Greenville SC, Owner?

According to my friend there is a "grey" SVX at Kellet's in Greenville, SC does anyone here own it or know who might own it? I'm going to look for myself tomorrow but i was curious if anyone would take claim to it. Its been in a frontal impact but according to the friend its 'not bad' (no word on how bad not bad is but i will see)

What does a crashed car go for? Obviously you cant give me any idea without seeing it or knowing the specifics but if you knew it was THE color you wanted and it was less that 150,000 miles and local what would you pay?

RSVX 02-16-2007 08:13 PM

We want Pics.

And I think Immortal_Suby told me about that one a while back...

DreamingOfSpeed 02-16-2007 08:22 PM

There will be pics. I promise pics and if possible a VIN for the register. It hasnt been there more than a week and this is a place that normally tows them away from crashes and puts them in thier little lot.

Is it safe to take the SVX to see it or should i take another car? I dont want them to try to take advantage of me b/c i have one but i also dont want them to think they can take advantage of me b/c i dont know what i'm doing. :confused:

It's Just Eric 02-16-2007 08:41 PM

Get some pictures of the thing. It could be "not bad" looking and in fact be completely screwed. get a few wide close up shots going down the sides of the car (Easier to spot dings, dents, ect. If it's a front ender, pop open the hood and snap a few pictures off too so we can all see what you're working against.

the big questions is this: Where would you be getting the parts to fix it? the problem with front end collisions is that it isnt a "Pull it , fill it, and spray it" operation. A a typical "Light" front end collision would need say, a hood, a fender, headlight, grille, bumper, and possibly straighten a few things underneath (Rad support, brackets for fenders and the such)

Like I said though, pictures would help. Look over the thing with a fine tooth comb for previously done body work.(Overspray on moldings, orange peel, mis-matched body panels, ect.) Also take a look for typical svx stuff like leaky valve cover gaskets and even droopy visors. You can use prettymuch every flaw the car has to your advantage for price negotiations

Also, I think it would be okay to take the svx there. If you aready own one, and clearly know what you're looking at, it kindof shows legitimacy. Just consider, the towing place doesnt own the car, unless it's like a police reposession place or something. The car's owner will have to be found and contacted.If the owner sees you drive one, they'll know its going into good hands when they sell it. I actually bought my current daily driver in a similar situation: a friend of mien spotted it at a repair shop, and decided to ask about it. Turned out it had a bad tranny and the owner was lookign to either sell the car or buy a new tranny. he was given my number and we bargined it over. I originally thought the 1400$ I payed was a hair steep, but it has been worth every penny of that

Like I said..Pictures would be good if you're looking for second opionions

DanSVX94 02-17-2007 08:20 AM

I wouldn't drive an SVX to meet with a seller of an SVX. It will just make you look more eager.

dcarrb 02-17-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
What does a crashed car go for? Obviously you cant give me any idea without seeing it or knowing the specifics but if you knew it was THE color you wanted and it was less that 150,000 miles and local what would you pay?

I paid $1800 for a leak-free, rust-free fender-bender survivor with 150,000+ that's been a reliable driver from day one, and that was probably too much considering what it still needs. Offer $500. They might be happy be be rid of the thing.

dcb

Ricochet 02-17-2007 10:22 AM

On the other hand if you take your svx to buy an svx, it will look like you know your stuff about them. Non-svx drivers will have no idea how much they really cost. When I bought mine for $3500 I thought they were $8,000 cars and the dealership was dumb.

DreamingOfSpeed 02-17-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Offer $500. They might be happy be be rid of the thing.

dcb

That's my plan. I paid 1800 for mine when its power steering was funky at 146000 so i think i'll show them the paper work from buying mine (which doesnt say it had issues) and say "see this i what i paid almost 2 years ago for a whole car, this one needs x, x and x its not worth more than 500" just to see where it gets me. I havent gotten to go see it yet, i've been so busy today but i'm still hopeful to do it today (if not today i'll see it tomorrow and make an offer Monday if its a good car)

PDSides 02-17-2007 05:39 PM

By now you've probably seen the car and drawn an opinion. If you've made the decision to walk away from it, no problem. Done deal. If however, you are still thinking about purchasing the car, let me offer some hard-learned advice: Get the dreams out of your head and think about the hard facts of dealing with a wrecked vehicle; and not just any wrecked vehicle but one that is rare and relatively expensive to repair. This is not a project for the semi-skilled or short-funded. Rescuing old cars, motorcycles, airplanes and boats can capture your imagination and wind up costing you a bundle - and when you're done you still have an old car, airplane....... Best wishes.
Preston

DreamingOfSpeed 02-17-2007 08:03 PM

Well i went, i looked, i talked to the owner of the place. Turns out they also run a body shop out of the back and it was in for repair at the shop. The repair costs are all being paid by the insurance company and the owner is a 'piece of work' (i'm sure he thought i was too) about his car. So no new project car for me today!

Preston (that's my brothers name by the way), I've done work on crashed/fire damaged/rusted cars before and i have a friend who's dad owns a body shop so i'm fairly safe starting a project car. I'm one of those people that needs a goal beyond get up, go to class, come home, study, go to work, come home, cook, eat, watch tv, sleep. The routine gets to me and i start to sink into a terrible depression. Projects keep me up beat about life and make me feel like i'm moving forward. I've had a few failures of my own (yeah sure i can build my own computer. WRONG!) but at least i'm doing something, you know?

ensteele 02-17-2007 09:47 PM

That is a great attitude. :) Like they say, if you are not growing, you are rotting. :rolleyes: :) :)

immortal_suby 02-17-2007 10:55 PM

I don't know whose car it is but are you the driver of the pearl and black I've seen around 8 or 9 am on pleasantburg drive a few times last week?

RSVX 02-18-2007 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I don't know whose car it is but are you the driver of the pearl and black I've seen around 8 or 9 am on pleasantburg drive a few times last week?

I would say yes, as she PMed me about seeing my car when I worked on Pleasantburg for Ogletree... So she must travel it a lot.

PDSides 02-18-2007 08:27 AM

"Projects keep me up beat about life & make me feel like I'm moving forward."

OK, now it makes sense. Therapy costs about $350.00/hour, and if you can get similar results from working on cars it may be financially favorable to buy a project car. Best wishes on finding the right car for your therapy project.
Preston

DreamingOfSpeed 02-18-2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby

Yup that would be me on my way to class