The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wiper inserts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62178)

Hondasucks 10-01-2013 03:26 PM

Wiper inserts

So I went to the dealer closest to my work (Carr Subaru in Beaverton) and ordered wiper blades for my SVX (Just the rubber insert, not the whole blade) for $32 :eek: when the counter guy told me the total I about crapped myself (when I worked at Subaru the inserts were like $6 or something like that) and he tried to adjust the price but said his cost was like 10 bucks each... So I just paid the $32 since mine were falling apart and figured Subaru just jacked up the price...

Got back to work and looked up the part numbers on subarparts.com and found that 86548PA010 that has a list of $16.78 by the receipt, actually has a list of $9.50, as does 86548PPA000 which is shown as $15.60.... Oddly enough the rear wiper is SOA591U320R which is on the receipt as $5.95 and has an actual list of $4.95, which is what I was expecting to pay.... :angst::angst: Guess I know where I WON'T be going next time I need blades!

92snowmachine 10-01-2013 05:34 PM

Re: Wiper inserts

i see this a lot recently. i can usually order parts from a dealer's online component for less then the wholesale price they offer when i call. the list price is also less so when i order parts from the dealer they mark it up then add additional markup for the list price. it's been happening for a long time but has become much more common. it only becomes a problem if the customer checks the msrp and complains that we marked the part up too much when in fact it was the dealer.

SVX_MY_BABY 10-02-2013 08:36 AM

I got OEM blades 2 years ago. They lasted about 4 months then fell apart. Must have been really old stock. Now I use universal narrow inserts from the local auto/hardware store.

Ref price try this on. a/c compressor at subaruparts.com 520.00 at local dealer 1700.00.:tard:

Landshark 10-02-2013 09:20 AM

why no aftermarket blades? :confused:

bwb3 10-02-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

why no aftermarket blades?
+1, I am loving the frame-less beam style blades. Aesthetically, much better looking and, they work.
Gene

Landshark 10-02-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 728782)
+1, I am loving the frame-less beam style blades. Aesthetically, much better looking and, they work.
Gene

+2
Found a replacement rear wiper for the FXT at NAPA. Weird little connector on it, glad to not pay $30 at the dealer. :rolleyes:

bwb3 10-02-2013 05:16 PM

Sorry to post again so soon and maybe off topic. The last time I purchased wipers was from Advance Auto Parts and, I took advantage of their free installation. Played the old man not knowing how to do it. Their sales person folded the wipers back and, removed the old ones to go back and get the correct measurements. The manager came running out yelling, DON'T EVER DO THAT, I am not going to have to pay for another windshield replacement. Apparently, the wiper arm, without the wiper, can snap closed, cracking the windshield. :o For me but, a lesson learned. Little did he know about the liability he avoided.:lol:
Gene

SVX_MY_BABY 10-03-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 728769)
why no after market blades? :confused:

OEM wiper arms have little rubber bumpers which line up with the bumpers on the cowl. Keeps them in proper place when parked in summer mode.

Landshark 10-03-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 728797)
OEM wiper arms have little rubber bumpers which line up with the bumpers on the cowl. Keeps them in proper place when parked in summer mode.

oh yeah, forgot about that. :doh:

anybody modify an aftermarket blade with a rubber nub?

scoobydrvr 10-03-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 728801)
anybody modify an aftermarket blade with a rubber nub?

+1
I got in the habit of keeping mine in winter mode when raining and summer mode when not. At least that way aren't going over the windshield trim all the time.

bwb3 10-03-2013 01:52 PM

I can appreciate wanting to stay OEM, with the bumper but, I pretested a Bosch blade wiper from my Yukon and the vertical side frame at the center point extended low enough to serve the same purpose, stopping against the cowl bumper stop. Ended up buying Rain-X on sale but they appear to be just rebranded from the same design. I assume the traditional wiper designs would not do this?
If wanting to try the blade design, I would recommend performing the same test. I still like the appearance better.
Gene

dannmarr 10-03-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydrvr (Post 728806)
+1
I got in the habit of keeping mine in winter mode when raining and summer mode when not. At least that way aren't going over the windshield trim all the time.

I adjusted my blades to stop just before hitting the window trim. I keep it that way all year.