The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Telephone Connector Pinouts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32667)

Aredubjay 04-15-2006 02:23 PM

Telephone Connector Pinouts?

I'm trying to hook up my handsfree telephone kit. Since I have a connector that will clip into the factory supplied connector, I'd like to hook it up using that method. Problem: I've scoured the FSMs for the pinouts to no avail. The connector is listed at R74, BUT, I can't find the bloomin' diagram for it ANYWHERE. Would some of you Suby Techs out there have the supplement that gives instructions on hooking up the telephone? If so, I'd really appreciate a scan, or description of the process.

Thank you, in advance.

Trevor 04-15-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aredubjay
I'm trying to hook up my handsfree telephone kit. Since I have a connector that will clip into the factory supplied connector, I'd like to hook it up using that method. Problem: I've scoured the FSMs for the pinouts to no avail. The connector is listed at R74, BUT, I can't find the bloomin' diagram for it ANYWHERE. Would some of you Suby Techs out there have the supplement that gives instructions on hooking up the telephone? If so, I'd really appreciate a scan, or description of the process.

Thank you, in advance.

Randy,

You, I must give my special attention. I have not a clue regarding plug set ups used in your part of the world but can point out ---

Telephone lines consist of only two wires and these are not polarity sensitive. It does not matter a damn which way round they are connected. You are dealing with two connections and can go straight in there. Plugs and all! Or no plugs and twist and tape. The telephone outfit has its circuits protected and you can do no harm. Have a go.

If what you are using has a mains connection, this will be isolated by means of a transformer and is not a problem. But, please do not shove 110 volts AC at the phone line. If someone is calling you at the same time they will get a nasty Hummmmm/Buzzzzzzzzzzz.

Special good wishes, Trevor.

Aredubjay 04-15-2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
Randy,

You, I must give my special attention. I have not a clue regarding plug set ups used in your part of the world but can point out ---

Telephone lines consist of only two wires and these are not polarity sensitive. It does not matter a damn which way round they are connected. You are dealing with two connections and can go straight in there. Plugs and all! Or no plugs and twist and tape. The telephone outfit has its circuits protected and you can do no harm. Have a go.

If what you are using has a mains connection, this will be isolated by means of a transformer and is not a problem. But, please do not shove 110 volts AC at the phone line. If someone is calling you at the same time they will get a nasty Hummmmm/Buzzzzzzzzzzz.

Special good wishes, Trevor.

Trevor, ol' chum!

Good to "see" you. Hope all's well in your end of the universe.

I'll "have a go" and hope for the best. The plug is a 4-pole so I didn't want to chance going "arse about face" on any of them. Configuration is..
2 1
4 3
So, I guess I'll try 1 as hot, 2 as ground and ignore the other two. :D

Again, good to hear from you!

Ron Mummert 04-16-2006 12:08 AM

Trevor?!?!

Ron!!!!!:D

Trevor 04-16-2006 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
Trevor?!?!

Ron!!!!!:D

Hoooooooooooray Ron,

How are you, you old bugger ????? Bloody good we are both still kicking.

I wonder if these obscene words will get past the censor ? Worth a try eh !
Randy, (that also could pose problems!) must have caught your eye. He did my one and only. Great stuff ! ( Woops what am I saying ?) We just might all get together in this thread and to hell with OT.

Cheeeeeeeeers, Trevor.

Trevor 04-16-2006 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Trevor, ol' chum!

Good to "see" you. Hope all's well in your end of the universe.

I'll "have a go" and hope for the best. The plug is a 4-pole so I didn't want to chance going "arse about face" on any of them. Configuration is..
2 1
4 3
So, I guess I'll try 1 as hot, 2 as ground and ignore the other two. :D

Again, good to hear from you!

Good one Randy,

If you have problems come back and spill the beans and I will get my thinking cap on again. If yours is like ours, there are a couple of spare, often unused contacts, for use with multi phone wiring.

Best of luck, Trevor

b3lha 04-16-2006 06:52 AM

This is an interesting thread:

Randy is talking about the largely unknown SVX carphone connector (plug R74) shown in the service manual.

Trevor appears to be talking about ordinary household telephones.

I can't wait to see how it turns out. :p

kuoh 04-16-2006 08:28 AM

Aredub's SVX might be sporting a very long RJ11 extension cord soon. ;)

KuoH

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
Randy is talking about the largely unknown SVX carphone connector (plug R74) shown in the service manual.

Trevor 04-16-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
This is an interesting thread:

I am pleased to see that this thing is largely unhnown. Even so, I hang my head in shame. The way the request was worded made me jump to conclusions. But silly I agree. My real concern is that I may have lead Randy astray. :(

ensteele 04-16-2006 08:19 PM

Hi Trevor

How are you? Yep, got past the censors! :D :D

Randy - Have a go at it and let us know if there is any smoke that is caused by this mod. ;) :rolleyes: :D :D

Trevor 04-17-2006 02:49 AM

Hi again Randy,

Sorry about the balls up. There is a ground and three positive supply circuits, going by the diagram I have. Each supply is activated in accordance with other controls e.g. Ignition in accessory position, on position and probably a permanent supply. All are fused. Play with a test lamp or volt meter and you will sort them out. I would guess one is an illumination circuit.

As long as you don't make a direct short to ground there will be no smoke. Even if you do, you will only be up for the cost of a fuse link. (Unless you have stuffed some hefty bent wire in the fuse carriers at some time. If so, watch it !!!!)

Cheers, Trevor.

Aredubjay 04-17-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Good one Randy,

If you have problems come back and spill the beans and I will get my thinking cap on again. If yours is like ours, there are a couple of spare, often unused contacts, for use with multi phone wiring.

Best of luck, Trevor

Yes, Trevor. I've been lucky that my name has passed the censors. Perhaps the auto sensor has a context discriminator -- let's see -- I'm feeling a little ***** today. My name is Randy. YES! THAT'S IT! :D

In the meantime, I'm going to wait on the phone kit install until I have a bit more time. Probably probe around with circuit tester -- once I purchase one.:D

Phil -- good to see you 'round. Information on the R74 phone plug (which apparently works with fuse position 10) is about as illusive as "passive all-wheel steering," which, of course, is a whole different story. :D

Aredubjay 04-17-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuoh
Aredub's SVX might be sporting a very long RJ11 extension cord soon. ;)

KuoH

Gosh! I'm glad I started this thread. All my old freinds seem to be coming out of the woodwork and congregating here. At this point, I don't really care if I find out about the phone plug wiring -- It's just good to visit with my buds. Good to hear from you Kuoh!

Although, it would be nice to get the wiring diagram. :)

Aredubjay 04-17-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

I am pleased to see that this thing is largely unhnown. Even so, I hang my head in shame. The way the request was worded made me jump to conclusions. But silly I agree. My real concern is that I may have lead Randy astray. :(

Trevor,
No need to [BUZZ!] feel ashamed [BUZZ!]. I'm sure [BUZZ!] the feeling in my [BUZZ!] arm will return [BUZZ!] soon. :D

Aredubjay 04-17-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Hi again Randy,

Sorry about the balls up. There is a ground and three positive supply circuits, going by the diagram I have. Each supply is activated in accordance with other controls e.g. Ignition in accessory position, on position and probably a permanent supply. All are fused. Play with a test lamp or volt meter and you will sort them out. I would guess one is an illumination circuit.

As long as you don't make a direct short to ground there will be no smoke. Even if you do, you will only be up for the cost of a fuse link. (Unless you have stuffed some hefty bent wire in the fuse carriers at some time. If so, watch it !!!!)

Cheers, Trevor.

Trevor,
That sounds about right. The reason I wanted to use the plug was because it's wired for "ignition on" operation. The kit, itself, has three wires -- red, black, green. Red and black are the obvious. The green is to be attached to an "ignition on" circuit. I'll play around with a meter and possibly sort it out. Thank you for using "ground" instead of "earth" for my benefit. Otherwise, I'd REALLY be confused. :D Almost as much as I was when I was reading my UK spec manual for my Triumph Spitfire. I was about to look into the gas tank with a flaming stick before pouring melted wax into it to wash it out. :eek: :D