The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Towing manual trans SVX on tow dolly (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63343)

ShaneHobson 02-27-2015 06:12 PM

Towing manual trans SVX on tow dolly

1 Attachment(s)
The subject says it all.

I'm considering options for moving an SVX with a 5 speed manual transmission between cities.

Normally I'd winch the car onto a car transporter trailer, but I can borrow a tow dolly for free.

A tow dolly is basically a very short trailer, just a set of ramps sitting on top of a single axle with a drawbar on the front. It's intended to drive the car's front wheels onto the dolly and the rear wheels stay on the ground.
Then the dolly is hooked up to the tow vehicle just like a trailer.

Obviously with a 4WD automatic this would probably spell death to the transmission in the car being towed, but what about an SVX with a manual gearbox ?

I think that it would be perfectly ok.

But before I destroy a transmission, I'd be keen on other opinions.

Thanks

Stevebsy 02-27-2015 07:40 PM

Re: Towing manual trans SVX on tow dolly

Remove 4 bolts, disconnect the driveshaft at the rear end, and grab the driveshaft with a bungee cord or ratchet strap to hold it up so it doesn't drag on the ground.

You can drive it on the dolly first, then do this, so you don't even need a jack.

Gamesy 03-18-2015 08:48 PM

even with the manual in neutral and leaving the DS connected, would anything happen?

bheinen74 03-18-2015 09:29 PM

if the drive shaft it out, no issues. leave the back wheels down on the road.

4 bolts to take the shaft loose at the rear diff, but you could loose gearbox oil up front without shaft (depends ) so take a hog pan to let it drain into with it out before you take off.

you cannot leave the driveshaft connected and dolly a car on the ground, the center diff will burn up.

SVXBart 03-19-2015 10:00 PM

put it in neutral ?
its manual right?

Chris 03-20-2015 10:50 AM

The previous posts about removing the drive line to the rear and wire it up is fully correct. Automatic or manual is not the case here, its the lack of neutral for the center differential (transfer case) is where the problem lies. Make sure you don't drop out the drive shaft or you will loose transmission fluid from tail shaft.

SVXBart 03-20-2015 05:25 PM

got it now.

1986nate 04-23-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 739415)
even with the manual in neutral and leaving the DS connected, would anything happen?

Yes, you'll burn up the viscous center diff.