The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sunroof Gasket -- This isn't right, right? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52734)

angrydan 01-04-2010 06:18 PM

Sunroof Gasket -- This isn't right, right?

Dumb, quick question... I just got my car back from a body shop who fixed some cracking paint on my roof. Understandably, they had to remove the sunroof gasket to paint, but it looks to me like there is a piece of the gasket broken or missing?

http://www.n2wha.com/webpost/SDC10324.jpg

http://www.n2wha.com/webpost/SDC10325.jpg

Can someone just confirm for me that there shouldn't be that gap in the middle? And if so, what is SUPPOSED to be there? Its something I never took notice of... Thanks in advance!

-Dan

**Ewie** 01-04-2010 06:35 PM

Re: Sunroof Gasket -- This isn't right, right?

No gaps in mine at all....

angrydan 01-04-2010 06:46 PM

Ok... thats what I thought. Thanks! Does anyone know if there is like some small piece that is supposed to join over the two ends of the gasket or anything? All I can guess is that either a piece of the gasket broke off or there was some coupler piece that they didn't reattach... any thoughts?

MadMaxSvx 01-04-2010 06:53 PM

Rubber is flexible, maybe they reattached the gasket not making enough tension so the rubber goes all around the sunroof line.

gstape 01-04-2010 06:57 PM

When I had mine off to repaint my roof a couple years ago I ended up with a similar gap when I put it back together. I took it back off and stretched it a little and put it back on. Then the gap was mostly gone. There isn't anything else that goes in there.

angrydan 01-04-2010 07:50 PM

Ok, thanks for everyone's input. I am just going to take the car back to the shop tomorrow and have them attempt to fix it. This way if anything gets damaged in the process, it won't be on me :)

Green1995SVX 01-04-2010 08:16 PM

the seam in the rubber should be at the back of the sunroof, too. Not the front.

AyeJaye 01-04-2010 09:29 PM

Mine has a gap and has never leaked in the time I've owned the car.

ZMan 01-04-2010 09:50 PM

Yes, they can have a gap - it is designed so water can leak in, but there are four drain hoses - one in each corner - to let the water drain out.

tiv0 01-04-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 629755)
Yes, they can have a gap - it is designed so water can leak in, but there are four drain hoses - one in each corner - to let the water drain out.

But if you can avoid it, wouldn't you not want the gap? And not have water leak in?

It should be pretty simple for them to fix it, might just have to stretch it a bit as gstape mentioned.

svxcess 01-04-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstape (Post 629741)
When I had mine off to repaint my roof a couple years ago I ended up with a similar gap when I put it back together. I took it back off and stretched it a little and put it back on. Then the gap was mostly gone. There isn't anything else that goes in there.

There should be no gap.

My pearlie had a gap in the sunroof rubber (about 1/2") when I bought it. When I had the sunroof panel repainted, the shop took the molding off. When they reinstalled it, they also stretched in so that it actually overlapped at the ends. After they installed it the rubber was compressed at the ends and has never moved, maintaining a perfect seam with no gap. The same with my polo

Do this in warm weather or use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the rubber a bit to make it more pliable.

ZMan 01-05-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 629756)
But if you can avoid it, wouldn't you not want the gap? And not have water leak in?

It should be pretty simple for them to fix it, might just have to stretch it a bit as gstape mentioned.

Yes, it would look a little nicer without the gap.

I was saying that it doesn't matter if water gets beyond the sunroof [ i knew i shouldn't have used the word leak]

I had a clog in one of the drain tubes once, and after i cleared it i tested all 4 drain tubes by pouring GALLONS of water in each corner to make sure they were clear.

Not a drop of water got into the car - which is the way it's supposed to work.

So if it bothers you, then fix the gap, but if your drain tubes are clean, and you should make sure they are, it won't matter if water gets in there or not.

angrydan 01-05-2010 02:09 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. The body shop was able to heat it up and stretch it to fix the gap. They also put the seam in the rear of the sunroof where it belongs!

Thanks again!!

BRADY 01-05-2010 08:45 PM

Cool. Thanks for this. Mine has a gap at the rear of the sunroof. I have always wondered if this is right or not. I shall fix this now.