The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quarter panel rust repairs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62605)

Conn SVX 03-16-2014 09:59 AM

Re: Quarter panel rust repairs

By any chance did you consider making a few extras when you made yours?

Tapani 03-16-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 732693)
By any chance did you consider making a few extras when you made yours?

The outer panel is easy - the bumper corner...... the inner one and the front sections are labour intensive and must be formed by try-fit process..... I think every damaged car needs a different section.

Do you need the bumper corner? The one I made was "close", but will need trimming to fit.

/T

Tapani 03-25-2014 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First layer of filler.... oh, this is more difficult than I remembered :eek:

/T

Tapani 03-26-2014 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a cheap 70x400mm straight sanding block.... the SVX rear fender curvature is quite challenging.... so instead of getting a $150 adjustable block I bought an $8 stainless turnbuckle. Works great :D !

/T

Tapani 03-29-2014 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally ready for painting :)

/T

Conn SVX 03-29-2014 06:18 AM

What filler are you using?

Tapani 03-29-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 732971)
What filler are you using?

Something made locally here - can't remember the brand. $10 / pound.

/T

Conn SVX 03-29-2014 04:36 PM

Not Bondo? There are a lot of new fillers that are an Epoxy fiberglass/ steel mix that is as strong and weather proof as the original.

Tapani 03-29-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 732979)
Not Bondo? There are a lot of new fillers that are an Epoxy fiberglass/ steel mix that is as strong and weather proof as the original.

Yeah, I know. The one I used on top is epoxy based "soft". The filling required is not thick enough for the fiberglass stuff, but I did use a metal mix type for the first layer against the POR15.

/T

SilverSpear 03-30-2014 12:53 AM

Excellent job Tapani. The best filler will always be lead (old school).

I would use PPG bondo, just in case though.

Tapani 03-30-2014 12:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your compliment.

There's 2-3mm of filler in the whole panel from previous life.... so lead was not an option.

I had to do an emergency repair for the front fender supports.... not much to weld to :-). I painted them with POR15 and filled the boxed part with body sealer to get some stiffness.

I also repaired the torn mudguard - it's HDPE and real easy to weld. So I cut a washer fluid can for material and "spot welded" it in place with a sodder iron. Not so pretty but does its thing.

I hope I will be able to paint the panel next weekend.

/T

Sean486 03-31-2014 07:39 PM

Are you going to have that quarter panel area professional repainted and how are you feeling about quality of the repair? Does it looks as good in person as in the photos?

Tapani 03-31-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 733029)
Are you going to have that quarter panel area professional repainted and how are you feeling about quality of the repair? Does it looks as good in person as in the photos?

I thought I'd give it a try myself. If it goes bad then I will ask a friend to do it - he's a pro.

It looks almost as good in real life, I do not think I can get it much better w/o professional help. The welding pulled two dents forward from the fuel filler - those were the most difficult to get right.

The claret color will show all imperfections when it's painted - I will share the end result then :rolleyes:

/T

Conn SVX 04-01-2014 06:21 AM

Just an FYI. It is not a good practice to apply masking tape to the body in order to protect it from primer. Rear 1/2 is correct ( primer is feathered ) front half and top now have a sharp edge from the tape and need to be blended. Just some stuff stuff I learned when I worked at a body shop.

Tapani 04-01-2014 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, thanks - makes sense !

I filled a few pin holes and sprayed another sanding color (red) to get some contrast. I am quite pleased with the result.

I bought a gravity feed gun, a new air hose, pressure control valve and a 5 micron filter.

Today I will get the real paints - the 265 claret and clear.

Will do the spray on Saturday :-). Keep your fingers and toes crossed !

Last car I sprayed was a Rambler American :eek: - well over 30 years ago. Only offroaders after that, but they do not count.

/T