The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT's 'New York' Polo repairs. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56771)

subi-crosser 03-13-2011 08:48 PM

OT's 'New York' Polo repairs.

We grabbed onto it saturday with all the POWER that my shakey old rollback could muster.
I applied enough force to tear a Chevy in HALF, but the SVX stayed bent!
I got 'creative' and put a 'snatch-block' into play. This gives 2 times the power, but 1/2 the speed/distance. This resulted in the damage near the drivers door being stretched to about 1/2 what it was. (it was hit in the LR corner)

I have ripped the front end off of a Chrysler Newport with this rig!
The SVX is one TOUGH cookie!!

We managed to pull it far enough that the new parts will fit and the car will be 'whole' again! (DANG!!! These are HARD cars!!!)
This is the TOUGHEST car that I have EVER had to 'stretch'!

If I would have put THAT amount of 'pressure' on something built in the last 30 years in America, it would have been 3 feet LONGER than it was when it was BUILT!!
No pics yet, but the 'Red-Green' SVX will be posted soon!!

gbianchi 03-14-2011 11:18 AM

Re: OT's 'New York' Polo repairs.

Thanks for that info, great story, I will feel safer driving my svx out with all the crazys. If they are that hard to repair the hopefuly they are that hard to crunch and can protect the occupants...G

svxcess 03-14-2011 03:10 PM

Re: OT's 'New York' POLO repairs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 670994)

We grabbed onto it Saturday with all the POWER that my shakey old rollback could muster.

I applied enough force to tear a Chevy in HALF, but the SVX stayed bent!
I got "creative" and put a 'snatch-block' into play. This gives 2 times the power, but 1/2 the speed/distance. This resulted in the damage near the drivers door being stretched to about 1/2 what it was. (it was hit in the LR corner)

I have ripped the front end off of a Chrysler Newport with this rig!
The SVX is one TOUGH cookie!!

We managed to pull it far enough that the new parts will fit and the car will be 'whole' again! (DANG!!! These are HARD cars!!!)

This is the TOUGHEST car that I have EVER had to 'stretch'!

If I would have put THAT amount of 'pressure' on something built in the last 30 years in America, it would have been 3 feet LONGER than it was when it was BUILT!!

No pics yet, but the 'Red-Green' SVX will be posted soon!!

And while we're waiting for Jerry to do his magic, I'll tell you how it got here.

OT and I drove his pickup up to NY state to get it from Zman (a 700 mile round trip). Hooked up a flat tow dolly to the SVX, started the engine, put it in neutral and towed it all the way back to WV. One of the windiest conditions we have encountered ,with winds at about 45mph, gusting to 60 the whole time.

No issues with the car at all during the trip back. She basically idled all the way home, got back about 4AM.

svxAL 03-14-2011 04:57 PM

The car was prolly totalled with just putting on a new quarter....

subi-crosser 03-14-2011 07:36 PM

Actually, all the 'bent' stuff will be renewed. There is no damage on the car that would effect the 'drive-ability' or 'safety of occupants'.. I will be drilling out the factory spot welds and re-welding 'good' stuff where bad was.
The FIRST stage is very 'ugly', so I will not post any 'pics' from that part.
Once the body lines are 'correct' I will shoot some of the two-tone, red and green car, then show the rest of the process.
You remember how that left quarter had that 2 inch 'fold'? We pulled that out!
The new deck lid fits the window and right quarter now. The left quarter is getting replaced, but it almost lines up.
There is NO reason to fear this car.
It's ALL 'cosmetic'. We ALL know that it was hit. Big DEAL!! Now it's getting REPAIRED and will live ON!

Saving WEE TURTLES!!! Sean, you can re-post! Nobody was offended!

ZMan 03-14-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

It's ALL 'cosmetic'. We ALL know that it was hit. Big DEAL!! Now it's getting REPAIRED and will live ON!
You are absolutely right!

I drove that car home over 20 miles from where it was stored after the accident, and it drove EXACTLY the same the same as before it was hit.

I drove on mostly highway and had it up to 70 mph to see how it handled.

svxfiles 03-14-2011 09:37 PM

Re: OT's 'New York' Teal repairs.

Having been under an SVX untill 10:45 tonight, and just now getting satelite internet back :rolleyes:,,, What did I miss?:o

And;
HAPPY PIE DAY!
:D

subi-crosser 03-14-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 671087)
You are absolutely right!

I drove that car home over 20 miles from where it was stored after the accident, and it drove EXACTLY the same the same as before it was hit.

I drove on mostly highway and had it up to 70 mph to see how it handled.

Z, I looked high and low. I had it jacked up, chained to 'jack-the-ripper', 'drawn and quartered' (if you wish.) I have 'inspected' anything that 'may' be a problem. She's OK!! Just a little bit ugly!
I can fix 'ugly'!

michael 03-15-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 671077)
Actually, all the 'bent' stuff will be renewed. There is no damage on the car that would effect the 'drive-ability' or 'safety of occupants'.. I will be drilling out the factory spot welds and re-welding 'good' stuff where bad was.
The FIRST stage is very 'ugly', so I will not post any 'pics' from that part.
Once the body lines are 'correct' I will shoot some of the two-tone, red and green car, then show the rest of the process.
You remember how that left quarter had that 2 inch 'fold'? We pulled that out!
The new deck lid fits the window and right quarter now. The left quarter is getting replaced, but it almost lines up.

Saving WEE TURTLES!!! Sean, you can re-post! Nobody was offended!

If you have pics of it quarter-less some of us would like to see them. In the near future most svxs will need quarters replaced. I'm interested in just how many spot welds need to be drilled out.

subi-crosser 03-16-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 671109)
If you have pics of it quarter-less some of us would like to see them. In the near future most svxs will need quarters replaced. I'm interested in just how many spot welds need to be drilled out.

Spot welds.. About a GAZILLION!! BIGGER numbers than even obama can think up!
I have not 'removed' the quarter yet, since I work for 'The Man' m-f.
Most of my car related stuff is confined to the weekends.