The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Interior Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   pistons n cams (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56001)

svx 420 11-25-2010 04:34 PM

pistons n cams

im tryin to build up my motor..i was wondering if i would have to take out the whole motor to install my pistons n cams does an1 hava answer 4 me? thx plz help

Crazy_pilot 11-25-2010 04:46 PM

Re: pistons n cams

Are you seriously asking if you have to pull the motor out of the car to change the pistons in it?

svx 420 11-25-2010 04:48 PM

yes i am am not a mechanic buddy simple question i need a simple answer ,just wondering how much i need to invest, dnt be mad cause u got 227000 on ur svx no **** rollin restoration

Crazy_pilot 11-25-2010 04:53 PM

If you're not a mechanic you won't be changing out pistons yourself, so why ask in the first place?

Short version? Several thousand. Figure ~$3000 for pistons and cams, probably another $2500-4000 for machine work, reseal kit, new crank/rod bearings... You also need some sort of engine management since the stock MAF runs out at ~250HP. I doubt you'll get it done for less than $7000. Probably closer to 10K to do everything properly.

svx 420 11-25-2010 05:05 PM

thx man good to knw i didnt knw id have to get machine work done as well

Johnybeas 11-25-2010 10:32 PM

lol I can see much fail in this job... lol this isn't a honda... the EG33 will take a lot more work to build than I think you'll be willing to put in. If you are serious about this however hit me up and I can get you all the parts you need to build the engine for a good price.

Cam 11-26-2010 12:12 AM

If you look in my profile under threads I have started then you will see some of the work that it takes to build the engine. Should give you a rough idea. I am 7500 dollars into my build. Not done quite yet. My thread is called 11:1 engine build.

sicksubie 11-26-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svx 420 (Post 663401)
yes i am am not a mechanic buddy simple question i need a simple answer ,just wondering how much i need to invest, dnt be mad cause u got 227000 on ur svx no **** rollin restoration

That is 222,700 kilometers on the car not 222,700 dollars invested:rolleyes::lol:

Crazy_pilot 11-26-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 663419)
If you look in my profile under threads I have started then you will see some of the work that it takes to build the engine. Should give you a rough idea. I am 7500 dollars into my build. Not done quite yet. My thread is called 11:1 engine build.

This is of course all assuming that he wants to get it done properly. You could save a huge amount of money from that if you pulled the motor, popped the heads, swapped pistons right there, dropped the heads back on with new HG's, drop the cams in, put it back in the car and start it up. Of course this wouldn't allow him to re-hone the cylinders... Or check the bearings... So the car might produce 300 HP for a few minutes.

Huskymaniac 11-26-2010 12:38 PM

What if he just replaced the cams, MAF and injectors with higher flow versions and an upgraded ECU from Mike? The engine would be interference but a new belt should give some piece of mind there. How much would that cost and could a DIYer do it? How about if you skipped the new CAMs? What is the HP improvement with simple mods like this?

sicksubie 11-26-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 663436)
What if he just replaced the cams, MAF and injectors with higher flow versions and an upgraded ECU from Mike? The engine would be interference but a new belt should give some piece of mind there. How much would that cost and could a DIYer do it? How about if you skipped the new CAMs? What is the HP improvement with simple mods like this?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I dont think there is any cam profile you can put on the stock valvetrain that would turn it into an interference motor...

Cam 11-26-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 663437)
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I dont think there is any cam profile you can put on the stock valvetrain that would turn it into an interference motor...

Not that Mike sells anyways, but I am not sure what the valve trains max length of travel is. That would be a good way to get a little more power out of the engine for not too much cash, though. Still gonna cost you 2 grand or so.

Huskymaniac 11-26-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 663438)
Not that Mike sells anyways, but I am not sure what the valve trains max length of travel is. That would be a good way to get a little more power out of the engine for not too much cash, though. Still gonna cost you 2 grand or so.

Perhaps I was under the wrong impression. I thought his NA cams would result in interference unless you also used his pistons.

So if you just popped those cams in, upgraded the MAF and fuel injectors and installed a Stage 2 (is that correct?) ECU, how much HP would that result in?

And what if you skipped the cams and just did the other three items? I keep seeing commercials for friggin Kias that have 300 HP and I can't help but think that this engine should be able to hit that easily too. Of course, one should probably put in better head gaskets at the same time and make sure all tranny mods (TCU upgrade, valve body upgrade and lower flow resistance tranny cooler) are also installed.

icingdeath88 11-26-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 663431)
This is of course all assuming that he wants to get it done properly. You could save a huge amount of money from that if you pulled the motor, popped the heads, swapped pistons right there, dropped the heads back on with new HG's, drop the cams in, put it back in the car and start it up. Of course this wouldn't allow him to re-hone the cylinders... Or check the bearings... So the car might produce 300 HP for a few minutes.

How about on a really well taken care of engine with only 70k miles? I was wondering how well it would work to just swap the pistons without any machine work. That plus cams, MAF, stage 2 ecu and injectors would make for a reasonably powerful, relatively inexpensive build.

Crazy_pilot 11-26-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 663462)
How about on a really well taken care of engine with only 70k miles? I was wondering how well it would work to just swap the pistons without any machine work. That plus cams, MAF, stage 2 ecu and injectors would make for a reasonably powerful, relatively inexpensive build.

The problem is I'm fairly sure the ECUTune pistons call for a slight boring out of the cylinders. Fairly minimal, but not something you'd be able to do with the block intact.

I've got a set of Mike's cams waiting for me at home. I was hoping to have them in this summer but there was a back-log at the manufacturer and I had to put my engine back together before Mike could get them to me. My plan is to just drop those in and see what happens. It's very likely that between the cams, my exhaust (a bit more free flowing than stock) and hopefully my new intake I'll be able to max out the stock MAF. Should be fun...