The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Geocaching (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44956)

Wikedjuggalo 05-31-2008 10:47 PM

Geocaching

Does anyone on here Geocache? If you have a GPS unit its alot of fun. Me and my girlfriend use her dads GPS unit and go geocaching. (My svx is not tinted windshield it works fine)

zukiru 05-31-2008 11:40 PM

:confused: more info? is this seeing where the gps won't see you?

Wikedjuggalo 06-01-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zukiru (Post 549964)
:confused: more info? is this seeing where the gps won't see you?

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

LetItSnow 06-01-2008 09:19 AM

Your best bet is to not bring the wife along until you're pretty good at it, cos if you wind up among a whole lot of 8 foot tall plants and stalks and such and you're not faring well with finding the cache and it starts pouring and she just says screw it and runs through said greenery all the way to the Forester, it's not much fun and she probably won't talk to you for a while or want to go caching again anytime soon.

Er, I have no idea how I know this. :lol:

It is really neat, though.

JaySVX 06-01-2008 01:15 PM

http://www.geocaching.com/

I may check this out.

Wikedjuggalo 06-01-2008 01:56 PM

Its alot of fun aslong as you remember its just a game :P sometimes they are easy sometimes they are hard but I find its cheap (well not with gas these days) and a lot of fun. They are all over the world so its not restricted to the US you Folks over seas and check it out too. I just have a lot of fun with it and thought I'd share it with people

Speedklix 06-01-2008 02:09 PM

this is actually one of the things I wanted to do for the 15th anni meet that never happened... I was thinking it would be cool to have a list and to handle it scavenger hunt style... ending with a pic capturing your team on a web cam at a school which posts to the net. I had a few extra GPS units to pass out even.

but yeah, never happened :(

Wikedjuggalo 06-01-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix (Post 550021)
this is actually one of the things I wanted to do for the 15th anni meet that never happened... I was thinking it would be cool to have a list and to handle it scavenger hunt style... ending with a pic capturing your team on a web cam at a school which posts to the net. I had a few extra GPS units to pass out even.

but yeah, never happened :(

maybe it can be arranged next time :P

zukiru 06-01-2008 09:49 PM

would be more fun as a TSD rally.

(seriously though, that sounds cool)

Ron Mummert 06-02-2008 08:49 PM

Nothing new under the sun - just a high-tech version of the game Letterboxing, that originated in the 1850s. See Wikipedia.

Ron.

svxistentialist 06-03-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 549991)
Your best bet is to not bring the wife along until you're pretty good at it, cos if you wind up among a whole lot of 8 foot tall plants and stalks and such and you're not faring well with finding the cache and it starts pouring and she just says screw it and runs through said greenery all the way to the Forester, it's not much fun and she probably won't talk to you for a while or want to go caching again anytime soon.

Er, I have no idea how I know this. :lol:

It is really neat, though.

Ho ho ho, abso-efing brilliant.:lol: :lol:

So, did the 8ft Triffid plants affect your memory badly, but your wife remembers every sorry second of it? And won't let you forget??

:rolleyes: :D

This is very similar to how my wife views Japanese car shows. Boring. Squared.

Joe :)

mikecg 06-03-2008 10:50 AM

I dont do it myself, but I see people doing it often. There is a Cashe near the entrence to my base.