The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Making a vibrating noise (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34785)

wannarace928 08-17-2006 10:53 PM

Making a vibrating noise

When the car is accelerating, or sitting in the drive way and you rev it up, it makes a vibrating noise, somewhat high pitched, at times it doesnt sound very good, I have had this car for little less than 2 days and was wondering if there are any common issues that could cause this? When up at speed on the highway it makes no noise at all. Except a possible bad wheel bearing. It is a 1992, the person I bought it from said it has a Subaru Remanufactured transmission and differential in it. I have seen a lot of issues about the transmissions and basically want to make sure I am not going to be looking at a transmission problem with this noise it is making. It shifts smoothly and doesnt make any loud thuds going into the gears.

dwd1985 08-17-2006 10:55 PM

Could be a loose heat shield rattling. Can you give more detials about where the noise it coming from, and how it sounds?

-JJ- 08-18-2006 07:15 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34749

check my post in this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34749

might help!:D

Suby Fan 08-18-2006 08:17 PM

it almost sounds like its coming from the flex plate... you should take it back to who ever put the tranny in it and ask them to check out the sound

wannarace928 08-21-2006 10:06 PM

One of the noises I was hearing is the catalytic converter is dented in. Another noise is a bad wheel bearing, and another noise is bad rotors. Hopefully thats all thats wrong!

msvx95 08-22-2006 05:07 AM

You may want to have all bearings replaced at once, but through the stealership, that will be prob. close to 2000.00 unless you have a local mechanic or you can do them yourself.

Yoda3000 08-23-2006 09:23 AM

I would say it's just a converter or resonator going bad. Does it do it in any gear (including neutral?) Check the post right now called Catalytic Converters.

probably not a big problem if you ignore it, but it will gradually move into lower rpms and get more annoying.

pipedream 08-23-2006 10:44 AM

yeah this sounds like the same problem ive been having- you seem to be on the right path, as it is related to the catalytic converter thing ma jigger being toasted. mine rattles too when i rev up high rpm's.

on a better note, i just found a great mechanic to do my bearings locally, front two done for around 300.

pipedream 08-23-2006 10:55 AM

yeah this sounds like the same problem ive been having- you seem to be on the right path, as it is related to the catalytic converter thing ma jigger being toasted. mine rattles too when i rev up high rpm's.

on a better note, i just found a great mechanic to do my bearings locally, front two done for around 300.

wannarace928 08-23-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95
You may want to have all bearings replaced at once, but through the stealership, that will be prob. close to 2000.00 unless you have a local mechanic or you can do them yourself.

I thought about replacing them all, this is not the only Subaru we have had wheel bearing problems with, we had a legacy that has the same issue. We have a press so we can do the bearings ourself, so that will really help!

msvx95 08-24-2006 04:43 AM

A dealership in akron told me I had a front bearing that is suspect to be bad, so I may try to do that one on my own. Where you located? and was everything okay when you replace your legacy bearings?

wannarace928 08-25-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95
A dealership in akron told me I had a front bearing that is suspect to be bad, so I may try to do that one on my own. Where you located? and was everything okay when you replace your legacy bearings?

I am located in Columbus. Everything went great replacing our own bearings on our legacy. Before we bought a press, we would take the hub assembly off, buy a bearing and have pep boys replace the bearing then we put the assembly back together, saved a lot of $$ in labor, might be another option for you.

We actually had more trouble with other people replacing bearings for us. I once took my legacy to a sears service center to have them rotate the tires, then somehow ended up breaking the hub assembly, and they had to get us a rental and fix it. A couple months later, that same assembly went bad again, this time I took it to a firestone dealer, they fixed it, 2 weeks later, it went bad again, so they fixed it at their own cost, it was under warranty, 3 days later it went bad yet again, this time we took it off and bought the bearing, took it to pepboys then put it back on, never had the problem with that bearing again but later one a different one went bad, thats when we bought the press. I dont trust many places to work on my cars, and subaru dealerships are too expensive.