The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Downtime, past and future (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17003)

waldon 03-07-2004 10:28 AM

Downtime, past and future

Sorry for the downtime this morning,
Well, it was morning in the US anyway.
Some low life decided to packet flood our
connection with about 7Mbps of traffic.
Needless to say, we do not have the
bandwidth to weather that kind of attack.
The ISP for the attack source is using our
network logs to track down the culprit.

Later today, we plan on renumbering
into a new network. There should only be
a few minutes of downtime if everything
goes okay.

Later this week, we plan on physically moving
the server to a new home so look for a couple
of hours downtime for that.

Jim Waldon
<waldon@subaru-svx.net>

Seraph 03-07-2004 11:36 AM

So that's what it was all about.

I wonder who could hate the network so much.

ensteele 03-07-2004 02:18 PM

They don't need to hate the network, just use it as a target of their fun and games. It is really too bad that some people can get their jollies by doing stuff like that. No one else thinks that it is funny or cool. :(

waldon 03-07-2004 05:22 PM

The Subaru-SVX server has been renumbered.
We still have one or two more little downtime
sessions for later in the week and then we should
be done for a while.

Chicane 03-07-2004 07:42 PM

If there's anyway we can help, just let us know!

Aredubjay 03-08-2004 09:36 AM

Jim,
First of all, congratulations on your new house and your upcoming nuptials.

Second, thank you so much for your time and efforts in sustaining the network. Those of us who've developed the habit of "living" here, are forever in your debt.

Kudos!

Noir 03-08-2004 01:22 PM

thank you for keeping the network alive. if you trace the culprit down and they are in atlanta, let me know :D. i'll show my ping golf club. :D

Harry (golf club in right hand, check for fundraiser in the other.)

Aredubjay 03-08-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Noir
thank you for keeping the network alive. if you trace the culprit down and they are in atlanta, let me know :D. i'll show my ping golf club. :D

Harry (golf club in right hand, check for fundraiser in the other.)

Dang, boy! Don't hit him with a Ping. That's too good for 'im. I'll let you use one of my ancient Spalding Execs, or, better yet, you can use my stepson's bargain basement Northwesterns.:D

Noir 03-08-2004 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Dang, boy! Don't hit him with a Ping. That's too good for 'im. I'll let you use one of my ancient Spalding Execs, or, better yet, you can use my stepson's bargain basement Northwesterns.:D

lmao. Randy, that was my poor attempt at a computer dork pun. :D

I was referring to the Denial of Service attacks by pinging our beloved ip address of www.subaru-svx.net with packets with large buffers :D.

Note to hacker:
You ping, I ping, and you will have a big ding! :D

Chicane 03-08-2004 08:52 PM

I'd just like to say that not all hackers are evil and bent on screwing up other people's things. I read 2600, the hacker quarterly on a regular basis, and it's reader base is mostly just people who think technology is cool, and like to find out how things work. Sure, they might pull a prank (switching the input/output signals of fast food restaurants so people at burger king order burgers but the signal gets sent to taco bell, stuff like that), but part of the hacker creed is to not do anything harmful, EVER.

The people you are talking about are criminals, and therefore called... I'm not kidding... CRackers. Like hackers, they know technology, but they use it for CRiminal intent, hence CRacker.

- Rob

Seraph 03-08-2004 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
I'd just like to say that not all hackers are evil and bent on screwing up other people's things. I read 2600, the hacker quarterly on a regular basis, and it's reader base is mostly just people who think technology is cool, and like to find out how things work. Sure, they might pull a prank (switching the input/output signals of fast food restaurants so people at burger king order burgers but the signal gets sent to taco bell, stuff like that), but part of the hacker creed is to not do anything harmful, EVER.

The people you are talking about are criminals, and therefore called... I'm not kidding... CRackers. Like hackers, they know technology, but they use it for CRiminal intent, hence CRacker.

- Rob

Well said. Fellow 2600 fan.

Chicane 03-08-2004 09:44 PM

Actually I'm a bigger "Off the Hook" fan than I am 2600. :) http://www.2600.com/offthehook/archive_ra.html

- Rob

Seraph 03-08-2004 10:13 PM

That too.

mbtoloczko 03-09-2004 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by waldon
The Subaru-SVX server has been renumbered.
We still have one or two more little downtime
sessions for later in the week and then we should
be done for a while.

Thank you for the help in keeping this great website going!

Noir 03-09-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane

- Rob

Sorry Mr. Robert. I apologize for the mix up.

Note to Hackers & Crackers:
I'm coming for your fingers.

I guess a prank like that is perfectly legal and harmless. Sending signals from burger king to taco bell is absolutely not harmful, EVER to the burger king business. taco bell absolutely wants these burger signals sent to them because they want to deal with burgers and not tacos. You are absolutely right Mr. Robert. Thanks for making things so clear.