The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   anyone actually use 2.2 pistons? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56852)

Gamesy 03-23-2011 10:04 PM

anyone actually use 2.2 pistons?

Did anyone actually go ahead and use 2.2 NA or turbo pistons for a turbo build?

torxxx 03-24-2011 09:34 AM

Re: anyone actually use 2.2 pistons?

Pistons dictate compression. Turbo build you'd want the turbo pistons because they are dished out more to lower compression. I suppose you could use NA Pistons, but I would make sure to use thick headgaskets to compensate or you will have a 9.5:1 turbo detonation queen

oab_au 03-24-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torxxx (Post 671861)
Pistons dictate compression. Turbo build you'd want the turbo pistons because they are dished out more to lower compression. I suppose you could use NA Pistons, but I would make sure to use thick headgaskets to compensate or you will have a 9.5:1 turbo detonation queen

I wouldn't use thick head gaskets as it will open up the squish area to increase the amount of end gas that will cause major detonation.

Harvey.

SURTEESS 03-24-2011 04:21 PM

I used a 0.5mm spacer plate in my old 1300cc Honda Civic (with 2" SU carb) - ran TO4 with 15-20lb boost waste gate from BMW 2002Tii.

Also ran with water injection (pressure switch mounted on the inlet plenum) - got clocked at 225km/h at a local club meeting at Pukekohe here in Auckland - not bad from 1300cc (this is when I got plate "1 OF 1" - that is now on the SVX)

Wolf in sheeps clothing - car was from show room (6 months later it was street legal machine). Torque steer was hard with 20lb boost due to uneven length drive shafts from front wheel drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukekohe_Park_Raceway

Gamesy 03-25-2011 09:55 AM

i know there was that huge discussion on it whether or not to do it apparently the turbo pistons are 7something:1 compression in our cars
and the NA are 8.5:1
i was curious if anyone did it

torxxx 03-25-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 671901)
I wouldn't use thick head gaskets as it will open up the squish area to increase the amount of end gas that will cause major detonation.

Harvey.

Not neccesarily. Look at the EJ25D engine, thicker headgaskets allowed lower compression = higher timing = increased power compared to the EJ253 and EJ251. The tops of the pistons are different shapes domed vs dished, so the thicker headgasket just lowers the compression to compensate for the domed piston. on USMB someone had come up with a formula for figuring out the combinations of pistons and head gaskets and the corresponding compression ratio using the different combinations.

if doing turbo conversion, I would use turbo pistons because I doubt there is a manufacturer out there that is making different thickness EG33 headgaskets.

Cam 03-25-2011 01:21 PM

Cosmetic offers headgaskets for the eg33 in various thicknesses. I believe .066" is standard, and they offer 2 other (thicker) sizes.

TomsSVX 03-25-2011 03:23 PM

the combustion chambers of the 2.2l cyl heads are significantly different (smaller) than yours which would change everything. Get custom pistons or use stock ones... Those are the two options

Tom

Subaru Alliance 03-28-2011 05:29 PM

according to the chiltons repair manual the 1991 -96 svx and the 1991- 94 legacy turbo pistons have the same bore and stroke of 3.82 x 2.95

the dsiplacement of the 91-94 turbo legacy is 2212cc if you divide that by 4 you get a result of 553cc of displacement per cylinder.

the svx has a displacement of 3318cc, divide by 6 equals 553 cc of displacement per cylinder.

the difference in compression ratios are 8.0:1 on the turbo legacy, and 10:1 on the 93-96 SVX with a compression ratio of 10.1:1 on the 92 SVX.

so it looks to me like the block of the eg3.3 is the same as an ej 2.2 just with two more cylinders added on. As far as the combustion chambers being different between the heads, that doesn't make sense to me unless i am overlooking something here. if each engine has the same displacement per cylinder, same bore size, and same stroke, that tells me the cylinders are the same size, and therefore the combustion chamber of the heads are the same. according to the math here it looks as tho the eg33 is nothing more than a 6 cylinder variant of the ej22.

i have been researching this extensively as i am about to order legacy turbo pistons plus two from wiseco pistons for a turbo build of my own so if i am wrong please correct me now so i don't about 900 bucks.

anyways i hope this helps

LetItSnow 03-28-2011 05:51 PM

Dig around here for a bit and you'll find that some pretty prominent Network figures sorted out that the EJ22T pistons would make a poor match for the EG33, leaving you with (iirc) a 7.x:1 compression ratio. Bleah!

svxfiles 03-28-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance (Post 672253)
according to the chiltons repair manual the 1991 -96 svx and the 1991- 94 legacy turbo pistons have the same bore and stroke of 3.82 x 2.95

the dsiplacement of the 91-94 turbo legacy is 2212cc if you divide that by 4 you get a result of 553cc of displacement per cylinder.

the svx has a displacement of 3318cc, divide by 6 equals 553 cc of displacement per cylinder.

the difference in compression ratios are 8.0:1 on the turbo legacy, and 10:1 on the 93-96 SVX with a compression ratio of 10.1:1 on the 92 SVX.

so it looks to me like the block of the eg3.3 is the same as an ej 2.2 just with two more cylinders added on. As far as the combustion chambers being different between the heads, that doesn't make sense to me unless i am overlooking something here. if each engine has the same displacement per cylinder, same bore size, and same stroke, that tells me the cylinders are the same size, and therefore the combustion chamber of the heads are the same. according to the math here it looks as tho the eg33 is nothing more than a 6 cylinder variant of the ej22.
i have been researching this extensively as i am about to order legacy turbo pistons plus two from wiseco pistons for a turbo build of my own so if i am wrong please correct me now so i don't about 900 bucks.

anyways i hope this helps

We know the math.
If you are going to spend $900 on Wiseco pistons why not look on here for someone who has CP pistons actually MADE for an SVX;
longassname at ECUTune sells or sold them brand new,
I believe that Mike, mikecg has a set to sell.
sicksubie... Got some?

Subaru Alliance 03-28-2011 08:55 PM

sweet I appreciate the info guys.

I looked into the turbo pistons on ECUTUNE.com, but in my email i received a reply that the individual has no plans to make the turbo pistons again.

anyways 7:1 would be pretty low, i guess that would be fine if you were gonna run something like 35psi, and didn't mind having no power till you hit around 5000 on the tach. the good thing is if you get the compression low enough, you get to hook up a leaf blower to the intake every morning just to get it to start lol. anyways i will inquire about the set of pistons you mentioned svxfiles. thanks again

StatGSR 03-29-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance (Post 672253)
As far as the combustion chambers being different between the heads, that doesn't make sense to me unless i am overlooking something here. if each engine has the same displacement per cylinder, same bore size, and same stroke, that tells me the cylinders are the same size, and therefore the combustion chamber of the heads are the same. according to the math here it looks as tho the eg33 is nothing more than a 6 cylinder variant of the ej22.

um yea your really missing the idea that the heads have nothing in common. most notably ej22t = sohc, eg33 = dohc. hell even the spark plugs are not in the same place in the combustion chamber... piston shape and combustion chamber shape are pretty important when it comes to how fuel is being burnt inside the cylinder.

Subaru Alliance 03-29-2011 10:00 AM

i was simply referring the size of the combustion chamber. I haven't seen the heads side by side to note the actual differences, my comment was simply the combustion chamber was the same size mathematically, but i see in my original post i said the same. My bad, thanks for the correction.

dragoontwo 03-29-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance (Post 672324)
i was simply referring the size of the combustion chamber. I haven't seen the heads side by side to note the actual differences, my comment was simply the combustion chamber was the same size mathematically, but i see in my original post i said the same. My bad, thanks for the correction.

Don't forget that the piston shapes can be different, too. Bore and stroke are only 1 part of the equation.