The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX LSI vs Pontiac Grand AM "RAM Air" (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9359)

awdsvx 03-17-2003 06:52 AM

SVX LSI vs Pontiac Grand AM "RAM Air"

One Saturday afternoon, I pulled up to the light, next to a red Pontiac Grand Am with "Ram Air" It was a young punk kid that thought he was so hot. The light turned green I stepped on the gas and blew his doors off! My car was not even at full power yet. That "Ram Air" was sucking my exhaust fumes! Ram Air, yea right, pieace of junk car. I looked up the specs of that car. The car has a 3.4 Liter engine and only produces 175 H.P. While we SVX er's have 230 with a smaller engine, 3.3 Liter. Suby's in general are far better cars. I think my wife's 2000 Outback limited could even take them on as well with only a 2.5 Liter.:cool:

CARLiTO_ 03-17-2003 11:47 AM

Yesterday there was this gurl beside me at the lights in this 2002 celica....As i said..WAS..

HAHAH...

Phast SVX 03-17-2003 12:43 PM

i ran into a ITR last week, beutiful car was not stock, definitely one of the only honda racing products i would own :)

Mr. Pockets 03-17-2003 02:31 PM

Somewhere on a Grand Am club site is a kid claiming to have 'dusted some Lamborghini-lookin' car.'

Tim 03-17-2003 06:06 PM

The Grand Prix GTP is sickeningly fast though.

svxeno 03-17-2003 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Somewhere on a Grand Am club site is a kid claiming to have 'dusted some Lamborghini-lookin' car.'

You got that right!

Randy ii

Pure_Insanity8 03-17-2003 06:28 PM

Plus...

Quote:

Originally posted by TE1221
It has sickeningly bad torque steer... liked 'em till I drove one.

I have had a '97 Grand Am GT give me a pretty good run up to 60 or so from a roll and on wet pavement... and a new GT (with a hot girl driving it to boot) dust me up to 30 or 40 and then I finally caught and passed her. Celica's I think should usually be able to edge us out (the GT-S that is). Although, I easily trounced a GT-S on the freeway when he came from behind and a 10-15 mph jump on me... but that was with the Aurora, which I hate to say is faster than the SVX.:(

Tim 03-17-2003 06:34 PM

What's torque steer feel like? I've only driven low HP front wheel drive cars.

Pure_Insanity8 03-17-2003 06:54 PM

Quote:

What's torque steer feel like? I've only driven low HP front wheel drive cars.
When you accelerate hard the cars pulls you side to side since the front wheels have all the power and they do the steering. Some cars are much worse than others... since some manufacturers have managed to compensate for torque steer better than others.

The dealership wouldn't let my friend and I test drive a Trans Am (even though he could have bought it right then), but they were cool with us (2 19 year olds) taking a GTP out on our own, even though it costs marginally less. We could easilly get the tires smoking, just hard to keep 'em straight.

dart 03-17-2003 08:05 PM

I had a fella pull up next to me at a red light on Eastern Parkway (a curvy road in downtown Louisville) in a Ford Ranger with a throbbing V-8 stuffed in it all tubbed out. Light turns green and we have a go at it. (Me in my 200,000 plus miles SVX). Evidently he was still learning to drive it as all I heard was squealing tires and the grinding of gears for a short period and after some curves nothing. Next light here he comes. Wants to try again. Straight road at this section. Green light and I stomp it and never even see the guy til I look in my rear view mirror and he's back in the intersection fishtailing all over the place. Next light he pulls in behind me. Probably trying to figure out what the **** is that? Maybe if he ever gets his rear end to hook up...but not today :D

Bwana 03-17-2003 08:24 PM

Quote:

Hrm, i just beat a GTP from 40 up to 100... Although I have lost a couple times to my friend's GTP off the line.

GreenMarine 03-18-2003 07:42 AM

Race him in the rain... That's when I race people. About a year ago when I was driving my SVX I raced a 2001 Mustang GT in the rain... It was some college kid (bit older than me at the time).... It was the most funny thing... He rolled down his window ath the stop light and asked what the H3LL my car was.... I told him an Alcyone SVX.... He said "I bet I could Beat ya to 100mph.... I thought, "Hmmmm, the roads are wet, I have a big advantage over him just from that".... So I said sure..... The light turned green and so did my little power light on the dash :D ... I could hear him spinning and beating that 4.6ltr V-8 on it's rev limiter all the way through my first gear... After that I was so far ahead of him that it didn't matter..... It is just so awesome how the AWD just launches the car off the line nomatter what kind of weather conditions there are..... I love AWD... Never again will I own a FWD car, Maybe a RWD car but definitly a AWD!!!!!

awdsvx 03-18-2003 07:53 AM

GreenMarineSVX

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering, if you are a USMC, should you be on high alert by now??? You must be one of the lucky to be here stateside still. I think if I were back in my old unit in the U.S. Army I would be. Served 3 1/2 years 11B Infantry. Wish I was in still right now! God Bless America!

GreenMarine 03-18-2003 08:23 AM

You comming to Reading awdsvx??? I am, if you are, lets meet up and hang out a bit... cool?

awdsvx 03-18-2003 08:52 AM

SVX Meeting

Thanks for the invite GreenMarineSVX. I would love to go & meet you, and all the rest of the Suby SVX fans. I have never been to one, I am very curious. As of late I have been working alot of over time at my job and my work schedule is not consistent. Work supports my SVX habits, better than smoking. LOL I just dumped close to $3000 in a new rebuilt tranny! Ouch, that hurts more than doing push-ups! I also got my new grill (1997 version)from Subaruparts.com. I drive a 1994, so my current grill is the fake light in the middle, never really like that. Anyway would be cool to hang out, let me see as the meeting gets closer to see what my work schedule will be like.
;)