The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why wasnt a Sun Roof fitted to the 1989 Concept SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55584)

subbieatnz 09-26-2010 09:20 PM

Why wasnt a Sun Roof fitted to the 1989 Concept SVX?

I was just pondering this question for the last few days lol :p

kwren 09-26-2010 09:40 PM

Re: Why wasnt a Sun Roof fitted to the 1989 Concept SVX?

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbieatnz (Post 658810)
I was just pondering this question for the last few days lol :p

The car was designed in a rainy area...

Keith:cool:

Alex-svx 09-27-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 658811)
The car was designed in a rainy area...

Keith:cool:

hehe.:lol:

Rodolfo 09-27-2010 05:42 PM

It's easy to forget how relatively new sun/moonroof technology is -and how relatively old our SVXs are: 1989 was early in sunroof history. I owned a couple of early sunroof models. In 1990, I purchased a 1984 Kalahari Porsche 944 that had a removable panel. I had a nice brown leather (or vinyl) bag to store the panel in the hatch area. In 1991 or 2, I got a 1988 2nd-generation White RX-7 Turbo II (188 bhp!, as I recall). I believe that RX-7 was the first car with a factory power roof. I especially remember that at 6'1" -and a full heard of hair, I barely fit in that great car, but that the sunroof area allowed me to tilt my head slightly to the right to get a better fit. Note that those early designs were for the tilt tops like our SVXs, and internal ones (which tended to steal internal space) came still later. Prior to that period, sunroofs -at least, in the US- were all sourced out after market.

Moreover, designers tend to be purists and most or many consider sunroofs as crass production/marketing matters; so many early concepts are "purer" artist editions. My brother was a purchasing manager for a manufacturer for many years and he still considers sun/moonroofs as tacky afterthoughts. :)

Gamesy 09-27-2010 06:06 PM

depends if your referring to motorised or manual sunroofs, i remember my dad's 85 caddy had a crazy setup for a sunroof, but that car, like the svx was ahead of its time in tech,

K_Dub 09-27-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodolfo (Post 658884)
It's easy to forget how relatively new sun/moonroof technology is -and how relatively old our SVXs are: 1989 was early in sunroof history. I owned a couple of early sunroof models. In 1990, I purchased a 1984 Kalahari Porsche 944 that had a removable panel. I had a nice brown leather (or vinyl) bag to store the panel in the hatch area. In 1991 or 2, I got a 1988 2nd-generation White RX-7 Turbo II (188 bhp!, as I recall). I believe that RX-7 was the first car with a factory power roof. I especially remember that at 6'1" -and a full heard of hair, I barely fit in that great car, but that the sunroof area allowed me to tilt my head slightly to the right to get a better fit. Note that those early designs were for the tilt tops like our SVXs, and internal ones (which tended to steal internal space) came still later. Prior to that period, sunroofs -at least, in the US- were all sourced out after market.

Moreover, designers tend to be purists and most or many consider sunroofs as crass production/marketing matters; so many early concepts are "purer" artist editions. My brother was a purchasing manager for a manufacturer for many years and he still considers sun/moonroofs as tacky afterthoughts. :)

My '87 GL-10 Sedan had a motorized glass "moonroof" stock. So far that was the best roof I've ever had on a car. The worst would be a tie between my '79 Volvo 242GT with it's unbelievably-difficult-to-turn hand crank and the tilt-roof on my '87 XT (completely worthless at all times, but I left it open to show off the raked look of the car). Subaru had been doing the retracting glass roof thing for at least 5 years before the first SVX was sold, but I'd take this one over the 5mm tilt on the XT any day.

1986nate 09-27-2010 09:02 PM

My brother-in-law's '74 BMW 2002 was equipped with a factory manual sunroof so they've been around plenty long, probably not the powered ones though. But pretty much Rodolfo, you hit what I was thinking but I didn't know how to put it into words.:o

Rodolfo 09-27-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 658892)
depends if your referring to motorised or manual sunroofs, i remember my dad's 85 caddy had a crazy setup for a sunroof, but that car, like the svx was ahead of its time in tech,

Yes, Gamesy, manual ones go back even before that, and again, they were all after-market, even though many of the orders were by the manufacturers or dealers. Kharmann Guia offered an early hot one in the 60s. For an understanding of the after-market beginnings in the US, Bing for the history and development of the American Sunroof Company.

By the way, if anyone is looking for an SVX with a pre-moonroof-period power tilt sunroof, I have a nice, inexpensive teal one for sale in the appropriate forum. ;)

ensteele 09-27-2010 11:44 PM

I have heard that there are very few JDM SVXs with sun roofs because they don't what them to leak. That is a possibility. :)

NeedForSpeed 09-28-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 658913)
I have heard that there are very few JDM SVXs with sun roofs because they don't what them to leak. That is a possibility. :)

For whatever reason, Earl is correct :),

Japanese like technology, but SVX owners don't really care for sun-roofs, UK owners don't care for rear spoilers on SVX. The car isn't as solid, the sun-roof adds pounds to the extreme wrong end of the car.

Like the concept, neither of my JDMs have sunroofs ;)

ensteele 09-28-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed (Post 658919)
For whatever reason, Earl is correct :),

Maybe he knows something about the SVX, or just a lucky guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hocrest 09-28-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Dub (Post 658895)
My '87 GL-10 Sedan had a motorized glass "moonroof" stock. So far that was the best roof I've ever had on a car....

My 85 GL had the same, I loved that moonroof...

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Dub (Post 658895)
the tilt-roof on my '87 XT (completely worthless at all times, but I left it open to show off the raked look of the car). Subaru had been doing the retracting glass roof thing for at least 5 years before the first SVX was sold, but I'd take this one over the 5mm tilt on the XT any day.

The nice thing about the XT sunroof was that if you removed it, it opened up almost the entire roof :D
I wish they continued that roof into the XT6...

NeedForSpeed 09-28-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 658932)
Maybe he knows something about the SVX, or just a lucky guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm going with 'lucky guess' :confused::D:lol::eek:

A guy that knows everything about SVX can't possibly know everything about SVX,

OR can he? :)

K_Dub 09-28-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 658933)
My 85 GL had the same, I loved that moonroof...

The nice thing about the XT sunroof was that if you removed it, it opened up almost the entire roof :D
I wish they continued that roof into the XT6...

I didn't realize that the moonroof went back as far as '85. They must've added it in for the 3rd generation, as all the 2nd's I've ever seen had a simple tilt panel.

Never tried that with the XT. That might have been fun, but seeing as I was rallying that car just about every weekend I would've ended up with an interior full of sand. Did the XT6 flex like a slinky going around turns like my sunroof'ed XT did? I always thought that the chassis was a little soft, and maybe a solid roof would have helped. Or maybe it was the continued jumps on blown air shocks that made my car go all bendy.:rolleyes:

NeedForSpeed 09-28-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Dub (Post 658949)
I didn't realize that the moonroof went back as far as '85. They must've added it in for the 3rd generation, as all the 2nd's I've ever seen had a simple tilt panel.

Never tried that with the XT. That might have been fun, but seeing as I was rallying that car just about every weekend I would've ended up with an interior full of sand. Did the XT6 flex like a slinky going around turns like my sunroof'ed XT did? I always thought that the chassis was a little soft, and maybe a solid roof would have helped. Or maybe it was the continued jumps on blown air shocks that made my car go all bendy.:rolleyes:

I'm going with 'a solid roof would have helped' :confused' :confused::D:lol::eek: