The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake Problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6670)

svx_commuter 10-28-2002 02:54 PM

Brake Problem FIXED

I have a brake problem. When I stomp on the brakes at 80 or so and slow down fast, pushing on the brake peddle hard, the car stops just fine. So that's not a problem:)

However, if I try to do that again when the brakes are hot, the car jerks forward with a stopping motion and there is a loud grinding noise up front. The jerking motion is violent, a real stutter.

But there is absolutely no pulse in the steering wheel when the barkes are hot:confused: It does not feel like a wrapped rotor.

Any ideas on this? The brake pads are worn down with about 40% left on them.

Thanks

30 April, 2003 Edit> This problem was caused by sticking front caliphers. The caliphers were rusting due to torn boots.

Aredubjay 10-28-2002 04:13 PM

Re: Brake Problem

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter

Any ideas on this? Thanks

Don't do that. :D (Sorry, had to beat Mummert to it)

CigarJohnny 10-28-2002 04:15 PM

Re: Brake Problem

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
the car jerks forward with a stopping motion and there is a loud grinding noise up front.
:confused: "...jerks forward with a stopping motion..."??? Can you explain this a little more clearly? I have a thought on this but would like to understand your symtoms better.

immortal_suby 10-28-2002 05:12 PM

My brakes would do this on high speed stops - doing 120 - 70 in a short time- the car shakes violently and the brakes are pretty worthless until they cooled down some. It did it even with new pads. My rotors were paper thin but not warped and the steering wheel never shook under normal braking. I always attributed it to the thin rotors heating up way too fast.

New rotors all the way around and new fluid and I have no problems anymore.

Ron Mummert 10-28-2002 08:54 PM

Re: Re: Brake Problem

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Don't do that. :D (Sorry, had to beat Mummert to it)

Day-umm, second place finish agin!

To SBX-Commuter: I guess I envy your "commute" for sheer excitement. I've had to really jam on the brakes at high speed ONCE in almost two years of SVX ownership, & I guarantee you that them rotors had plenty of time to cool down while I laundered my soiled skivvies from the FIRST panic stop. Must be them Joisey drivers!

Ron.

Aredubjay 10-28-2002 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
My brakes would do this on high speed stops - doing 120 - 70 in a short time- the car shakes violently and the brakes are pretty worthless until they cooled down some. It did it even with new pads. My rotors were paper thin but not warped and the steering wheel never shook under normal braking. I always attributed it to the thin rotors heating up way too fast.

There were several of us who had these symptoms at the Canaan Valley meet, but it only seemed to be happening to the Pearlies (John H., Rufus and Myself). Thought the front end was going to come out from under the car. I haven't replaced the rotors, yet, but will before I do any more "mountaineering."

Ron Mummert 10-28-2002 09:44 PM

Quote:

There were several of us who had these symptoms at the Canaan Valley meet, but it only seemed to be happening to the Pearlies (John H., Rufus and Myself). Thought the front end was going to come out from under the car. I haven't replaced the rotors, yet, but will before I do any more "mountaineering."

OK - In an attempt to be semi-serious here, could the acronym "ABS" have anything to do with the described condition? If the system engages due to slippage, why not slippage due to heat? Obviously pearlies are more suseptible due to sun spot activity & refractive reverberation.

So there! Ron.

Paisan 10-29-2002 05:47 AM

I'm heading to limerock in 2 weeks for a track day. 4-30min session should let me know how good my brakes really are, especially after heating up!

I'm running the Raceconcepts slotted/dimple drilled rotors in the front and metal-master pads all around, with Synthetic Fluid and SS Lines.

-mike

Aredubjay 10-29-2002 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paisan
I'm heading to limerock in 2 weeks for a track day. 4-30min session should let me know how good my brakes really are, especially after heating up!

I'm running the Raceconcepts slotted/dimple drilled rotors in the front and metal-master pads all around, with Synthetic Fluid and SS Lines.

-mike

Mike, I'm guessing that, since you've replaced your rotors, you won't show these symptoms. Hope not, anyway. You don't need that kinda aggravation on the track. Also, I hear (and hope to find out some day) that the SS lines are great -- Keep us posted, and may the Seven Sisters look out for you.

svx_commuter 10-29-2002 10:24 AM

Re: Re: Brake Problem

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny

:confused: "...jerks forward with a stopping motion..."??? Can you explain this a little more clearly? I have a thought on this but would like to understand your symtoms better.

The best I can discribe this would be that the braking feels normal and then there is a grab- then normal- then a grab and it keeps on repeating. The cycle feels to be about 1/2 sec long. 1/2 sec grab- 1/2 sec normal- etc.

svx_commuter 10-29-2002 10:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Brake Problem

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Day-umm, second place finish agin!

To SBX-Commuter: I guess I envy your "commute" for sheer excitement. I've had to really jam on the brakes at high speed ONCE in almost two years of SVX ownership, & I guarantee you that them rotors had plenty of time to cool down while I laundered my soiled skivvies from the FIRST panic stop. Must be them Joisey drivers!

Ron.

Hi Ron,

Let me clear something up here. This never happens during my commute:) I am always a long way behind the car in front of me. At least 3 seconds or more. None of my extracurricular activity takes place on the highway with crowds, it is always off on a deserted back road somewhere:) with no one else around.

You see I learned from my first panic stop on rt 80 years ago:) If you can drive in the NYC metro area in the rain, on a Friday, at 5pm, in December, (as in it's dark) you can drive anywhere:D iwth a large supply of Depends.;)

svx_commuter 10-29-2002 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby

This is most likely my problem as my rotors are worn down below the minimum values. I guess there isn't much life to these rotors.:rolleyes:

svx_commuter 10-29-2002 10:35 AM

Quote:

Okay it's nice to know I am not alone on this. Yes it does show up more in the mountains. Thanks

svx_commuter 10-29-2002 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert

OK - In an attempt to be semi-serious here, could the acronym "ABS" have anything to do with the described condition? If the system engages due to slippage, why not slippage due to heat? Obviously pearlies are more suseptible due to sun spot activity & refractive reverberation.

So there! Ron.

Hi Ron,

ABS is for slippage between the tyre and the road and NOT the pad and the disk. Altough it has shown up more on a Sunny Day when the sun spots are more or less active.:p

ABS at 70 mph:confused:

They have linked Sunspots with the global weather paterns, a very nice piece of work.

rufus 10-29-2002 11:26 AM

Quote:

You know, Randy, I have been on several "sporting" mountain drives in the car since then, and the symptoms have never reappeared... I am starting to think that we were probably sabotaged by envious drivers of "lesser" colored cars...

:D :D :D :D