The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   rear wheel wobbly (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45775)

oneringer 08-09-2008 02:29 PM

rear wheel wobbly

My right rear wheel is wobbling bad enough so that you can see it in the rear view mirror. Feels like it is ready to fall off.
I removed both rims yesterday, but can't really see, or feel, anything different between them.
I can't move the wheel with my hands when the car is sitting still, but as soon as you start to drive it, the symptom re-occurs.
I'm not at all familiar with this type of an axle. Could it be broken?

Crazy_pilot 08-09-2008 02:50 PM

Re: rear wheel wobbly

The wheel may be bent. I've seen many that have no obvious damage, but when spun on a balancer wobble like mad. Are you running stock wheels or aftermarket? If it isn't the wheel you may have a warped hub. My final guess would be that your wheel bearing has completely disintigrated, but that would include amazing amounts of noise. Put the car up on jackstands, put it in neutral, and spin the wheel by hand to see what it does.

Stop driving the car in the meantime.

kwren 08-09-2008 02:53 PM

a broken axle would not be in the equation, The bearing in the hub supports the whole thing, Could a bearing be worn that much??? Could be warped hub.
I had a front hub warped from a big hole on the road.

Good luck,
Keith:(

kwren 08-09-2008 02:55 PM

my typing speed always gets me there in second place!:lol:

Good advice, Crazy person!

Keith:)

JLHollowX13 08-09-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 559486)
a broken axle would not be in the equation, The bearing in the hub supports the whole thing, Could a bearing be worn that much??? Could be warped hub.
I had a front hub warped from a big hole on the road.

Good luck,
Keith:(

keith, i would bet alot of money that you are spot on with the bearing. i had a saturn before my svx, the rear wheel sounded funny when i first bought it, over time it began to wiggle, oneringer, jack the car up, and see if you can push and pull the wheel from side to side, if so it is probably your bearings. i replaced the bearing assembly on my saturn (you HAD to replace the entire unit in saturns) and the problem was solved.

oneringer 08-09-2008 05:06 PM

It could be the bearing, I guess. Definitely not a bent rim. It's not like it's bent, it's like it's falling off! How hard are the bearings to replace?

kwren 08-09-2008 05:28 PM

did you check the lug nuts?

Crazy_pilot 08-09-2008 05:32 PM

Bearing's are either not bad or horrific depending on the car. Mine were a complete horror show, it took a 6' breaker bar to get some of the bolts loose. I don't know what sort of winter you get, but if they salt the roads you will be in for a rough time of it. If the underside of your car looks new, then it'll be an easier time. There are several how-to's all over this forum about replacing the rear bearings.

Do you get a loud noise from the rear when the car is driving? If the bearing is bad enough for the wheel to be wobbling around it would be roaring like a jet engine back there.

oneringer 08-09-2008 05:55 PM

not real noisy

kwren 08-09-2008 08:35 PM

might be past noisey:lol:

Good luck working it out.
If a bearing you could remove the bearing housing and have a new bearing-seals pressed in at an automobile supply that has a machine shop and reinstall the housing.

**Always good to get a price before committing to take them the business!

Otherwise, a dealer... ouch:(

Keith:)

JLHollowX13 08-09-2008 08:41 PM

when my saturns wheel bearings went out they didnt make a sound really, it just felt really bad while i drove and the wheel wobbled like crazy, no loud sounds though

SVeXy96 08-10-2008 09:51 AM

Umm, I dunno if it would be the same on all SVX's, but my 92 has horrible rear bearings and it sounds like I'm crushing and grinding a ton of rocks in my trunk, you can't even hear yourself think over the sound of the bearings lol :p