The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38933)

Budfreak 05-11-2007 07:31 PM

Brake problem

I installed my drilled/slotted rotors today at all 4 corners along with Lomandi Kevlarmetallic pads and now my front brakes are ever so slightly engaged and dragging.:confused: I have no idea why other than by some chance both rubber brake lines collapsed. Any thoughts?

Crazy_pilot 05-11-2007 07:43 PM

Any trouble getting the calipers back on with the new parts? Maybe the rotors or pads are a bit thicker than spec, and the caliper can't fully release pressure.:confused:

Budfreak 05-11-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Any trouble getting the calipers back on with the new parts? Maybe the rotors or pads are a bit thicker than spec, and the caliper can't fully release pressure.:confused:

Nope, No problem getting them on.

SVXgarcia 05-12-2007 05:51 PM

When I had my new ceramic pads and drilled rotors installed years ago, I could hear the pads dragging, but the noise stopped after a few days of driving and breaking in the new pads and rotors.

Budfreak 05-12-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXgarcia
When I had my new ceramic pads and drilled rotors installed years ago, I could hear the pads dragging, but the noise stopped after a few days of driving and breaking in the new pads and rotors.

You can't just hear them, you feel them. My front wheels were quite hot when I got home too.:rolleyes::(

UPnorth362 05-12-2007 09:26 PM

Might be a long shot, but do the calipers float smoothly. In other words, does the whole caliper, and pad assembly move side to side without much force? If they dont, the pad on the outside of the caliper closest to the wheel could stay in contact with the rotor.

Budfreak 05-12-2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPnorth362
Might be a long shot, but do the calipers float smoothly. In other words, does the whole caliper, and pad assembly move side to side without much force? If they dont, the pad on the outside of the caliper closest to the wheel could stay in contact with the rotor.

I need to pop a bleeder loose and see if the brakes let go. If so, Then the lines are collapsed. If not, then it is the calipers.

Budfreak 05-13-2007 02:23 PM

Fixed

The caliper slides were rusty and stuck.:rolleyes: I used penetrant and then greased them up. all is well now.:)

UPnorth362 05-13-2007 06:03 PM

Alright.... Thats what we like to hear. Congrats.

Trevor 05-13-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
The caliper slides were rusty and stuck.:rolleyes: I used penetrant and then greased them up. all is well now.:)

Thanks, good one. ;)

I hope all note that it is very worth while when a fix is reported and explained. The thread in affect and as a result, then becomes a how too. :cool: :)

Budfreak 05-13-2007 10:32 PM

Thanks guys.:) It wasn't too hard to figure out really, I popped off the caliper and couldn't move the pin with a big pair of pliers. I got a hammer and beat the pin until it was flush with the caliper and then moved the rubber boot on the opposite side down off the pin and used penetrating oil on it. I then beat it through the other direction and oiled that side as well. I then beat it through back and forth a few times with the hammer to loosen it up and then I threw some wheel bearing grease I had handy on them, Slid the rubber boots back up onto the pin, And reassembled. I just drove the car tonight and the new brakes are great.;)

Hocrest 05-13-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
Thanks guys.:) It wasn't too hard to figure out really, I popped off the caliper and couldn't move the pin with a big pair of pliers. I got a hammer and beat the pin until it was flush with the caliper and then moved the rubber boot on the opposite side down off the pin and used penetrating oil on it. I then beat it through the other direction and oiled that side as well. I then beat it through back and forth a few times with the hammer to loosen it up and then I threw some wheel bearing grease I had handy on them, Slid the rubber boots back up onto the pin, And reassembled. I just drove the car tonight and the new brakes are great.;)

I like to inspect and lube those sliders anytime I change the pads.

Budfreak 05-13-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest

Yeah, I will be from now on.:rolleyes::o

alltrac 05-14-2007 12:00 AM

Good Job

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest

Thats what you are suppose to do. Any reputable mechanic doing a brake job should inspect the calipers and always relube. Now does everyone open the bleeder screw before retracting the caliper piston?

Budfreak 05-14-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alltrac
Thats what you are suppose to do. Any reputable mechanic doing a brake job should inspect the calipers and always relube. Now does everyone open the bleeder screw before retracting the caliper piston?

Well, It is my own car and I didn't have much time as it was a rush thing and I assumed since the rubber boots on the slides were intact and in good shape that they would be fine.