The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crossing the Boarder (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37374)

ensteele 02-07-2007 09:37 PM

Crossing the Boarder

I know there are members here that have taken SVXes accross the boarder from the US to Canada. It is time to get one back from them. :D

Has anyone brought one from Canada to the US? If so, is there anything special that you need to do?

Who do I contact to make the crossing easier? Do I need the license before I go? The car is not licensed now is why I ask.

Any suggestions or information is appreciated. I don't know that I am going to purchase it yet, and need to find this stuff out before I make the purchase. I don't want to own one on the other side of the boarder. :o

TomsSVX 02-08-2007 06:27 AM

what year??? I dunno bout you but customs checked my car when I picked up my tranny from canadia... I think you do need to register it in the states first... But im not sure how

Tom

SomethingElse 02-08-2007 07:49 AM

Its a cluster. If WA is like VA then you can go to your DMV website and find some of the info you need. Then search for the customs department you will be taking the car through and contact them and get some more info you need. It will have to be customs cleared then It will have to go through DOT inspections and then NHTSA. Crash testing information must also be provided for you to make it street legal. It will also need a VIN # assigned to it as the JAP cars dont have 17 letters. I think thats the majority of it but im sure there is other red tape areas that stressed me out and made me not want to dig anymore.....One day when I get rid of one of my teals im going to try and tackle this again....keep us posted.:D

ensteele 02-08-2007 05:52 PM

I talked to our Dept of Licensing here in WA State. They said that I needed the original registration, release of ownership, Dealers Sales Agreement, and a Customs Document. If it is not licensed, and it is not, I could drive it with a 3 day permitt. They said that if the Japaneese title and inspection certificate should help if it is available.

I will keep you posted. This had them stumped for a while. :)

Crazy_pilot 02-08-2007 06:15 PM

Number 13 Earl?

I don't know about bringing one to the US, but bringing one north becomes real simple if it's 15 years old, nothing has to be changed. That's what I'm planning on eventually.

Bobb 02-08-2007 06:30 PM

Border hopping to Canada

Hi Earl, This doesn't have anything to do with the car, but you now must have a valid passport to go back and forth to Canada. So dropping things into your conversation like "AY" and "HOSER" won't help. Take care, BOBB

ensteele 02-08-2007 07:01 PM

It could be done though ay'? :D :D

It's Just Eric 02-08-2007 07:15 PM

"Ya, it hit a moose, eh..."
"Who would have thought there wouldnt be a Bank of America around here?"
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/200/31352gp3.jpg
"Eh"
"I wanna see SPARKS!!"
"Hey, look over there"
"Is there anything sharp and pointy I could cut my hands on, like a knife or a rock?"

Ah, the memories....You'll have a blast of a roadtrip there earl, good luck with the red tape

SomethingElse 02-08-2007 07:24 PM

Hey Earl if all goes well uhh...umm you wanna get rid of one of your anniversary's:eek: you know to make room:D

TomsSVX 02-08-2007 09:27 PM

you are getting a RHD arent you?? I am so jealous:D :D

Tom

SSSVX 02-08-2007 09:48 PM

Earl, we need to know the details about #13?!!! :D

Before I bought my first one, I almost got one from Canada. I knew there're two things I need to check - I can't recall now. Canada cars have DRL and diffferent speedometer.... but there was back to 2001 :rolleyes: Things change. The best place to check is your local DMV.

I once drove to Canada to visit my aunt, when I got lost, I got lost. I didn't understand the road signs (not even East or West) :rolleyes:

AJ4U2 02-08-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I know there are members here that have taken SVXes accross the boarder from the US to Canada. It is time to get one back from them. :D

Has anyone brought one from Canada to the US? If so, is there anything special that you need to do?

Who do I contact to make the crossing easier? Do I need the license before I go? The car is not licensed now is why I ask.

Any suggestions or information is appreciated. I don't know that I am going to purchase it yet, and need to find this stuff out before I make the purchase. I don't want to own one on the other side of the boarder. :o

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import) try this site out.
Art

SSSVX 02-08-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
you are getting a RHD arent you?? I am so jealous:D :D

Tom

maybe thats the one from the other thread :rolleyes:

can rhd get registered in the states and be legally as a passenger car on the road?

ps: earl might be going to have a mailman sport coupe soon :D

ensteele 02-08-2007 11:36 PM

I see RHD Subies all of the time. Usually Outbacks used for mail and other stuff. I checked and they are fine here in WA. :)

TomsSVX 02-09-2007 06:38 AM

AWSOME!!! So #13 is going to be a liquid silver RHD??? SWEET... drop a 6 speed in it and you will have a DrIfTAr!!!

Tom