The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sol. C Switch Observations (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36400)

hexadec0079 12-05-2006 10:34 PM

Sol. C Switch Observations

Well I have a switch hooked up to my Sol. C with a Led light to show power in the circuit. Left on (normal operation), it works like a TPS almost. Full light is mostly FWD, off is close to 50/50. Helps me know how the car is running. Very useful and informative, give it a try.

Hocrest 12-05-2006 10:56 PM

A bunch of folks over at the Ultimate Subaru board have done this and there have been a few tranny failures believed to be caused by it. Here is one thread I found after a quick search. There are a few other where they go into more detail, but I'm too tired to research them tonight...

hexadec0079 12-06-2006 12:05 AM

I read the thread but it makes no sense. Leaving the switch on (normal condition) should have ZERO effect on the clutch packs. It is still operating as usual and is through suffiecient gauge wires. There is no logical reason not turning the switch off (50/50) would mess with the trans. I meant to use the switch to monitor and get out of snow. The current doesn't go through the LED but simply takes a small part of the voltage and grounds it to illuminate the LED. Any other input would be appreciated as well.

PS- No problems:cool:

Mr. Pockets 12-06-2006 07:10 AM

Please post in the correct forum.

hexadec0079 12-06-2006 11:06 AM

Re-read the thread and I have seen that most of the failures were due to prolonged usage on inappropriate surfaces (i.e. Pavement ) and has caused the clutches to wear extremely fast. However, I have yet to use it, just to monitor.

On a side note, even with the FWD fuse, the C sol. is still active (???) Why, if anyone knows?

Earthworm 12-06-2006 11:56 AM

Instead of forcing 4WD it would be interesting to see a gauge showing what the solenoid is doing (or calibrate it to show your power distribution).

Trevor 12-06-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Instead of forcing 4WD it would be interesting to see a gauge showing what the solenoid is doing (or calibrate it to show your power distribution).

The brilliance of the LED will give a useful approximate illustration of the on/off time relative to the pulse width modulation delivered to the solenoid, as is mentioned in the first post within this thread. However it must be accepted that there are other separate control factors involved, affecting the exact final front rear torque ratio.

Provided an LED is used, there should be no affect on the signal, as only a small current is involved.

hexadec0079 12-06-2006 04:07 PM

Trevor, thats what I'm trying to say!!! My LED does not show the C sol. being turned off in FWD fuse mode, thats the revelation. I know other factors contribute to 50/50 Awd, but the C Sol. is the single simplest factor to control.

It is still interesting to watch though :cool:

Earthworm 12-06-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexadec0079
It is still distracting to watch though :cool:

Fixed...I think :D

Trevor 12-06-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Trevor, thats what I'm trying to say!!! My LED does not show the C sol. being turned off in FWD fuse mode, thats the revelation. I know other factors contribute to 50/50 Awd, but the C Sol. is the single simplest factor to control.

It is still interesting to watch though :cool:

Take into account that the solenoid valve is closed when not energised.

hexadec0079 12-06-2006 05:42 PM

yes i know

it remains lit when in FWD fuse mode though...

oab_au 12-07-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

yes i know

it remains lit when in FWD fuse mode though...

Thats the way the transfer AWD works.. The solenoid is turned full on, (95% duty cycle) to disengage the rear wheel's drive.

Harvey.;)
PS. the solenoid is open when not energized.:)

Trevor 12-07-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Thats the way the transfer AWD works.. The solenoid is turned full on, (95% duty cycle) to disengage the rear wheel's drive.

Harvey.;)
PS. the solenoid is open when not energized.:)

The solenoid is CLOSED when not energised .

hexadec0079 12-08-2006 10:36 PM

sorry for the confusion, but it does dim and change in FWD fuse mode. :confused:

Trevor 12-08-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

sorry for the confusion, but it does dim and change in FWD fuse mode. :confused:

Your diligence is very much appreciated and will prevent unfortunately instigated, much more serious gross errors, stated by another regarding the subject, continuing.