The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33169)

Crusader 05-11-2006 09:46 PM

Help

Well I think my Transmission is done for. Lots of loud clunking if you try to drive it , or even roll it while in neutral. Now here is where I need the help. I know there are alot of options out there as far as Transmission replacement. I need to know ballpark $$$ figures.

some useful info: I live in Northern MN, I have nowhere to do that kind of work myself, so a shop is going to have to do it.

my options:

New SVX Transmission : $5000 shipped here, plus ??? to install

Rebuilt SVX Transmission : ???

4.44 : ???

4.11 : ???

5/6MT: ???

I'm totally clueless, and not in any shape to do any searches now, I can't even recall half of the information I already know..
Thanks for any help guys

Hopefully a continuing member of the SVX family

Mike Washburn

Budfreak 05-11-2006 10:07 PM

I picked up my 4.44's out of a 97 outback 2.5 for 450 bucks with 122K miles on the tranny&diffs and they work great. Cost me about 900 including labor.:)

subi-crosser 05-12-2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusader
Well I think my Transmission is done for. Lots of loud clunking if you try to drive it , or even roll it while in neutral. Now here is where I need the help. I know there are alot of options out there as far as Transmission replacement. I need to know ballpark $$$ figures.

some useful info: I live in Northern MN, I have nowhere to do that kind of work myself, so a shop is going to have to do it.

my options:

New SVX Transmission : $5000 shipped here, plus ??? to install

Rebuilt SVX Transmission : ???

4.44 : ???

4.11 : ???

5/6MT: ???

I'm totally clueless, and not in any shape to do any searches now, I can't even recall half of the information I already know..
Thanks for any help guys

Hopefully a continuing member of the SVX family

Mike Washburn

For 1/2 that, $5,000 I'll take vacation time and haul the parts, and a mechanic there to do it!! or I'll send a roll-back, or trailer there, and you can come for a visit, and get your car!!
Look at the " as the weather improoves" posts,, Odds are that svxfiles would be involved in the swap!! Have trailer, will travel..
Jerry

dannmarr 05-12-2006 05:39 AM

When my tranny died, I had the option of a swap or a rebuild. After much research, It was better for me to rebuild. I have read that some had to swap their tranny more than once. In my opinion, you don't know what you get in a swap. In a rebuild, the tranny is set to specs and all parts are reconditioned and you get a warranty. It should cost about $2500-$3000.

Earthworm 05-12-2006 11:33 AM

Sounds like your front diff packed it in.

Crusader 05-12-2006 02:20 PM

Yeah I figured it was the front diff.

so to go to a 4.44 or 4.11 I need to swap the rear diff gears and tranny ? how about the TCU ?

and on the rebuild, would any automatic transmission shop do it ?

Earthworm 05-12-2006 02:44 PM

Yes, you would need to swap the gears in the rear diff. TCU stays.

As for rebuilding not all tranny shops are willing to work on Subarus.

Crusader 05-13-2006 09:57 AM

Thanks for the help guys, as for now it looks like the SVX becomes parked while i jump in the market for a new car... with a warranty... Just too much cash going into repairs now, and spending 1000-2000 on a tranny swap that isn't guaranteed because you're getting a part from a salvage yard just doesn't seem smart right now.

She will be on the road again one day though, who knows how far down the road that will be... and it will be 6mt too.

I'll still swing by from time to time and see what progress everyone is making :)

Take care all

Mike