The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T: Ricers?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15891)

crow_road75 01-23-2004 07:12 AM

O/T: Ricers??

Hi,

Can a guy from across the pond ask a dumb question?

Where does the word "Ricer" come from? I've seen it on loads of postings, and I'm guessing it relates to people who try to make their car look it was an extra in "The Fast and the Furious"... am I right, or is the answer more *Shudder* sinister...

TGIF

Jason
--

b3lha 01-23-2004 07:27 AM

It's a gender-neutral variation of rice-boy.

http://www.riceboypage.com/

See the subsection - "what is a rice boy?"

Landshark 01-23-2004 07:48 AM

its a derogatory term originally used towards Japanese cars, but now American and European cars are being 'riced up' as well.

87f383 01-23-2004 08:17 AM

Ricer is a term for the driver not the car. Ricer's drive every make and model.

NikFu S. 01-23-2004 10:02 AM

lets go to the origin.

Rice rockets. they are japanese cars. the joke is they burn rice for fuel. a rice burner. ricers originally referred to asian kids in america (whom undoubtedly eat a lot of rice) that buy imports to race them with. it was also easily interchangeable with racer, which is fun.

nowadays a ricer defines anyone that wants to make their car seem more powerful than it is, and burn off as much oil as possible through the exhaust.

petesvx2 01-23-2004 09:34 PM

Or just anyone who makes their car look fast without it actually being so.

GreenMarine 01-23-2004 11:41 PM

Hehehe, there are a few Ricers here on base... I really wish I had a digital camera... I would love to show ya what the wrong kind of "upgrades are".. :D:D:D

Subafreak 01-24-2004 09:01 AM

I saw mad rice in Mass. last night. The same cars run up and down the block all night. There was this one like 96 V-6 Camaro with a Supra style wing on it.:rolleyes: Very ricy.:)

Landshark 01-24-2004 09:24 AM

i saw a Chevy Caprice with Altezza tail lights and 19" wheels the other day. :eek:

marlettpat 01-24-2004 11:43 AM

whats wrong with a pimped caprice? maybe cuz its capRICE...i dunno

Shadow248 01-24-2004 12:01 PM

It's the lights. Altezza lights don't belong on American cars. They are a Japanase car thing. They don't look right at all on American designs.

Nothing wrong with big shiny rims on a big shiny car. That's more hip-hop than ricey.

greg 01-24-2004 06:48 PM

We've got RICE

Since I was a young boy 16 or so I have heard these two terms:

1.) Rice Burner
2.) Krout Mobile

It simply implied the origin of a car rice=japanese (or korean) and krout (BTW I have no idea if that is spelled right)=german. rice burner I understood to mean that the japanese cars were cheap on gas (rice is not expensive and neither is running gas in these cars), krout is expensive and normally are the german cars.
Later the connotation seemed to spin tward the likes of the modifications done to the car, this seems to be usualy a negative thing and is used to make fun of someones car. Strange how terms change through time...
-g

Subafreak 01-24-2004 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow248
It's the lights. Altezza lights don't belong on American cars. They are a Japanase car thing. They don't look right at all on American designs.

Nothing wrong with big shiny rims on a big shiny car. That's more hip-hop than ricey.

Correction. Altezzas don't belong on anything but an Altezza.

I'v even saw them on an 88 Jeep Wrangler:confused: You know the stock square universial tralier style lite? as an Altezza style light:rolleyes: Just plain stupid.

Landshark 01-24-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Correction. Altezzas don't belong on anything but an Altezza.

Jimsbaby 01-24-2004 10:18 PM

my .02cents

Altezzas don't belong on anything. not any car they are just ugly but thats just what i think and who am i to tell u what to do to your car. u might not like my white gages for all i know.

Jim:)