The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   best spark plugs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44599)

Nevin 05-02-2008 11:44 PM

best spark plugs

Well, I'm going to be giving the ole SVX a tune-up in the next couple weeks or so (whenever I get the time) and I was just curious what spark plugs people recommend to use.

In all my other cars I've had very good luck with NGK V-power, but I was thinking of trying the Iridium's in this car. Partly to just try them out, and partly because they are slightly more of a hassle to change, and if I can get a plug to last longer then.... woot woot.

Anyway, any thoughts? What works best for you guys? (or girls)

YourConfused 05-02-2008 11:55 PM

buy these and be happy

NGK Spark Plug: Plug No. IFR6E11
Laser Iridium Spark Plug

Nevin 05-03-2008 05:38 PM

Well, sorry to disappoint, but between the time I asked this and now I stopped at the local parts store and ordered "just" the Iridium X.

I'm sure they'll be more than fine though.

Thanks for the quick help though, but I just figured that any iridium plug would do the job more than ok. Well, that said... ANY old plug would do the job, Iridium will just last the longest.

jeffast 05-03-2008 06:43 PM

trust me i worked autoparts for three years, never trust the counter man they are paid on commision, and only sell what pays, what brand were the spark plugs, never use any plug but ngk in a subaru

Nevin 05-03-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast (Post 545637)
trust me i worked autoparts for three years, never trust the counter man they are paid on commision, and only sell what pays, what brand were the spark plugs, never use any plug but ngk in a subaru

Umm, like I previously said... I don't have any cars with plugs that aren't NGK. I told him I wanted an NGK, and he said there was an Iridium X, and the Laser Iridium. I opted for the Iridium X.

Also, I know this guy well. He owns the parts store, I used to tow for them, and our shop is a good chunk of their business. He wasn't trying to sell me anything.

YourConfused 05-04-2008 12:43 AM

You got a good plug. How much were they a piece?

Nevin 05-04-2008 02:29 PM

Good deal, glad to hear.

They were $7.49 each.

YourConfused 05-04-2008 04:26 PM

I paid out the butt for mine, something like 10 each, and now I looked and they are only 7 something each. I bet they will outlast my car though.

Hondasucks 05-04-2008 11:42 PM

+1 for NGK.

I need to take one of mine out and see how nasty they are lol... I took the plugs out of my 90 Legacy and discovered worn out Autolites:barf: so I replaced them with OEM (My cost was $7 something for all 4) Runs a lot better now :-) OEM plugs for the SVX are like $50 something, my cost :eek: plus another 90 or so for the valve cover gaskets (gaskets + grommets + plug tube seals + oil separator seals):eek:

longassname 05-05-2008 12:06 AM

Well.....

you are dead on trusting the ngk brand name...i agree...always buy ngk

The difference between the laser's and the none lasers is that the laser's have a platinum or iridium chip laser welded to the ground strap. That's what makes them last forever and a day. They used to be a platinum chip so if you were running nitrous you had to go with the regular iridiums because nitrous makes platinum spatter but my understanding is that they recently changes the laser iridiums to use both an iridium center electrode and an iridium chip laser welded to the ground strap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevin (Post 545658)
Umm, like I previously said... I don't have any cars with plugs that aren't NGK. I told him I wanted an NGK, and he said there was an Iridium X, and the Laser Iridium. I opted for the Iridium X.

Also, I know this guy well. He owns the parts store, I used to tow for them, and our shop is a good chunk of their business. He wasn't trying to sell me anything.

Nevin 05-09-2008 12:40 PM

Thanks Mike for the info.

Also, after further discussion with the parts guy, that what he's told me too. Basically, most any plug will act the same upon initial installation, it's just that the ones with the harder, exotic metals just perform as well X0,000 miles down the road as they do new. Having a motor with plugs that aren't SUPER easy to get to, I just decided that getting a better one was a good idea.

I took a couple out the other night, and they had a good color to them and weren't worn too badly, and they are currently NGK's.

But I, never one to leave well enough alone, am changing them anyway.

longassname 05-09-2008 12:49 PM

more or less--but also

Just like the smaller diameter of the iridium or platinum eletrodes let the spark jump the gap easier the smaller width of the iridium or platinum chips on the laser plugs lets the spark jump the gap easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevin (Post 546654)
Thanks Mike for the info.

Also, after further discussion with the parts guy, that what he's told me too. Basically, most any plug will act the same upon initial installation, it's just that the ones with the harder, exotic metals just perform as well X0,000 miles down the road as they do new. Having a motor with plugs that aren't SUPER easy to get to, I just decided that getting a better one was a good idea.

I took a couple out the other night, and they had a good color to them and weren't worn too badly, and they are currently NGK's.

But I, never one to leave well enough alone, am changing them anyway.

Nevin 05-09-2008 12:56 PM

Well that makes sense. Having the harder metals would certainly be beneficial for that, then. A softer one with such a small tip wouldn't last nearly as long, or it would just melt.

Off topic...how's the new stage III coming along, Mike?

Nevin 05-11-2008 05:05 PM

Well, I put the new plugs in yesterday. Don't really notice a huge difference in driveability...maybe a bit more "giddyup" in the low end, but obviously nothing like "HOLY CRAP!" fast.

One thing I did immeditately notice was that the idle is just rock-solid now. I mean, the tach doesn't move at all, and the sound is just dead-on. That in itself is enough to convince me of their worth.

Guess we'll put these plugs in the "Win" column.

zavikan 05-14-2008 03:44 PM

hmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast (Post 545637)

What the hell are you talking about? This seems a bit odd. Autozone doesn't. Nor does Advanced. Neither does Consumer Auto Parts. to my knowledge, NAPA doesn't either.

So....where did YOU work?