The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Get Me some Peanut Butter-My Tranny is Toast (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39179)

SVX_MY_BABY 06-01-2007 03:27 PM

Get Me some Peanut Butter-My Tranny is Toast

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Got to drive for less than a week after not driving all winter while new suspension, winter storage and new paint. I can't believe it!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:rolleyes: Looks like TomsSVX will have a new kit to make.

After 3 automatic failures I think I'll go for a 6 mt.

Dza 06-01-2007 03:33 PM

Ouch! I know it's not a GOOD thing, but I suppose you can look at this as a great opportunity to get the MT swap done. Sorry it took 3 autos to get to that point. RIP 4EAT.

It's Just Eric 06-01-2007 03:34 PM

Oh geeze....that sucks the big one...but, its the perfect excuse to go mt:cool:

Budfreak 06-01-2007 03:43 PM

Sorry to hear it and good luck with it, But I'll stick with my 4.44 4EAT.:cool:

Trevor 06-01-2007 04:35 PM

What is the exact problem with the transmission? :confused:

You say that this is your third transmission failure. There MUST be some human element involved. :( Who has been doing your work? :confused:

TomsSVX 06-01-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
Sorry to hear it and good luck with it, But I'll stick with my 4.44 4EAT.:cool:

Why would you even say that??

Trevor, I have been wondering the same thing... I got a feeling the rebuilds or replacements have been faulty

Tom

Budfreak 06-01-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Why would you even say that??

Trevor, I have been wondering the same thing... I got a feeling the rebuilds or replacements have been faulty

Tom

Like I've said, I'm not a fan of the manuals.

I agree that something has to be up in human error terms to have failures like that.

Crazy_pilot 06-01-2007 05:53 PM

Auto's are boring. Go, stop, turn. Push harder for more go, push harder for more stop.

Manuals you actually have to do something. Plus it would instantly disqualify most of my friends from ever attempting to drive my car. Not that they'll ever get to sit in the drivers seat anyway.

TomsSVX 06-01-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Auto's are boring. Go, stop, turn. Push harder for more go, push harder for more stop.

Manuals you actually have to do something. Plus it would instantly disqualify most of my friends from ever attempting to drive my car. Not that they'll ever get to sit in the drivers seat anyway.

exactly... it is extremely difficult to drag race a manual as well, but as you may already know, I love a challenge and I hate being bored

Tom

ensteele 06-01-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I love a challenge and I hate being bored

Tom

Who would have thunk that? :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

SVX_MY_BABY 06-02-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
What is the exact problem with the transmission? :confused:

You say that this is your third transmission failure. There MUST be some human element involved. :( Who has been doing your work? :confused:

1st Tranny went after a long tour from Home through some hills & valleys. That was in '96 or '97. The car was a few months off warranty, so Subaru donated a tranny & I paid to put it in. Turned out the recall filter had not been installed on my car. 2nd Tranny went within a few weeks. It was a factory rebuild which had some kind of over torque problem on install if I remember correctly. Metal filings were showing up. It was replaced under full warranty. This one I may put down to the rear differential. The bushings were swapped out last fall for poly ones. Perhaps something broke then, but I can't really figure how.

There was a low frequency groan from the rear of the car a couple of times. Also a scraping sound intermittently after driving a while, which I put down to rust on the rotors and backing/splash plate. After sitting all winter in heated storage I couldn't find any gears, the they kicked in and everything was normal after driving a couple blocks. Then with no warning after about 500 km and a few days it was like someone pushed the gear lever on a manual to neutral. Tach AND Speedometer both headed for the red line, then the tranny engaged and the wheels chirped. I was doing about 60 - 70 km/hr. After that I nursed it back to the shop as it continued to act the same. The car gave a few ungodly shudders and there was a loud metallic grinding which lasted a few seconds. End of story.

I suspect something sheared off inside.

The mechanic is a Subaru Master tech who has competed in Subaru's competitions. He represented Canada in the world competition in Japan and finished 4th. He knows his stuff.

SVX_MY_BABY 06-02-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
Like I've said, I'm not a fan of the manuals.

I agree that something has to be up in human error terms to have failures like that.

I really don't abuse the car. Honest.. I do engine brake on steep hills and will use manual mode on twisty roads to down shift before a corner and hold the rpm as I power out of corners. No drag style starts, ever. Always careful to ensure that the wheels are not turned sharply when starting from a dead stop at the traffic lights etc. etc.

Budfreak 06-02-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
I really don't abuse the car. Honest.. I do engine brake on steep hills and will use manual mode on twisty roads to down shift before a corner and hold the rpm as I power out of corners. No drag style starts, ever. Always careful to ensure that the wheels are not turned sharply when starting from a dead stop at the traffic lights etc. etc.

No, I wasn't really accusing you. I meant the mechanics. Sounds like something in the front diff might have gone out on you.

SomethingElse 06-02-2007 06:48 PM

The 5 speed is nice because you get more control over your shifting/power band / etc..

the car was designed for an automatic only, when you put a 5 speed in it. the car is not as streamline, its got a whole different personality. The 4.44 gives you crazy performance upgrade without really changing anything about the car.

just get both, it makes everything easier.

SVX_MY_BABY 06-05-2007 08:39 AM

Must be a reason why they call it the "Glass Box 5"