The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Symptoms. need a solution (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23882)

Jonesy 01-17-2005 11:05 PM

Symptoms. need a solution

My 94 SVX has what I think is a balljoint problem. It is in the rotation of the tire and tire speed. It seems to be making a light thumping, and as the car accelerates, so does the thumping sound. It does not become louder upon turning however the breaks do need to be done (but I don't think a rotor would cause this type of sound, simply because there is no pulsation)

Any predictions?

ensteele 01-17-2005 11:24 PM

Welcome to the site Jonesy. I hope you get your problem figured out and fixed. Good luck. :)

dcarrb 01-18-2005 06:20 AM

Greetings Jonesy.

The noise you described has to be from a rotating part... tire, rotor, bearings, axle/CV joint. I doubt it has anything to do with the ball joints.

Good luck.

dcb

svxistentialist 01-18-2005 07:08 AM

Hi

Hi Jonesy, you are very welcome!:D

The thumping sound. I agree with dcarrb, except to add it could also be the prop shaft bringing power to the rear diff, assuming you are awd and not fwd.

My best guess would be tyres [a damaged tyre{TIRE!} with a bulge on it could give this light thumping]. Hit any potholes hard lately?

Next, your axles. If you had a loose or torn CV joint rubber boot on a front axle, it could thump once every rotation.

Likewise your prop shaft [drive shaft to the rear?] If any road garbage has stuck to this, it could be thumping also.

You should go to a tire shop, put your car up on the hydraulic ramp and inspect for these things.

Joe:)

Mr. Pockets 01-18-2005 09:54 AM

Please post in the appropriate forum. For instance, this one belongs in the Tech Q&A forum, so I will move it there.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your problem. :)

I agree with the others before me - I do not suspect a ball joint given the info you have provided. I would suspect a rotating part, as they have.

DoLittle 01-18-2005 03:54 PM

Just this past week I was driving an 05 outback(Driving a bit hard).
And some how mast up the cars front end one side right behind the wheel it sounded more like a grinding or rubbing noise.
Not sure what is was, the car was a rental so the hertz guys gave us a new one the next day and said they would take it to the shop.
I'm not sure how much different they are in the AWD.

Jonesy 01-18-2005 04:07 PM

thanks for the warm welcome.

I took it to the shop today and sure enough I had just put the stock wheels back on and the rims where actually damaged, and the lug nuts where not seating right inside, therefore the wheel was moving around. Good thing I caught it in time that nothing major was damaged.

Damn tires on 18's are expensive! (and I do sales in Automotive parts)

svxistentialist 01-18-2005 04:44 PM

Glad you picked up on that, Jonesy.

The movement would have chewed up the studs eventually and lost the wheel.

Timely!

Joe:)