The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   On the road again, goin' places where I've never been (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7395)

svxistentialist 12-06-2002 11:40 AM

On the road again, goin' places where I've never been

Got my baby back this evening!!! Yah!!!!!!!!!

Very strange feeling, driving a car with four, count em', four forward gears:cool: :cool:

Also, Intercontintal Ballistic Plum doing other strange things. Like going straight into first gear when selected, no singing the first verse of Dixie!! Like going into reverse when selected, no more sitting there waiting for the weather to change. Like the lock-up actually working:D :D

Have my B&M cooler sandwiched between the rad and the aircon cooler. Connected in series for the present, I will watch progress on this. I intend putting a divert valve on it later, and a thermistor to monitor the temps.

For the minute, however, I am merely going to enjoy.

Njoy, Njoy, Yah!

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes, they worked. You guys have an ADSL connection to the Man Above, eh??, eh?

Joe:D :D :D :D

sfsvx 12-06-2002 11:46 AM

Re: On the road again, goin' places where I've never been

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
Thanks for the prayers and good wishes, they worked. You guys have an ADSL connection to the Man Above, eh??, eh?

Standard equipment with the SVX. God drives one too.

And no, dear Prez, I'm not referring to you. :) :)

Aredubjay 12-06-2002 11:53 AM

Re: Re: On the road again, goin' places where I've never been

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Young

God drives one too.

And no, dear Prez, I'm not referring to you. :) :)

Oh, okay. Glad you cleared that up. :rolleyes: :D

Congratulations, Joe. Glad you got the Plum humming. Now, you need to ship her over here so's you can test her in snow. :D:D:D

svxistentialist 12-06-2002 12:04 PM

God drives one,,,

Bet He's got a six speed Tiptronic:D

Thanks guys.

Snow Randy? Whatch you talkin' man?? The only snow we get around here, they spray around the shop windows at Christmas. No way am I driving on that stuff!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm off now, away home. CD of Willie Nelson in the oven. Driving down the yellow highway, lookin' over the rim of my glasses at the Ordinary People in their common cars. When life is good, it's good.:) :)

Joe;) :D

Green1995SVX 12-06-2002 12:45 PM

Joe-

Absolutely fantastic. After your recent issues, nothing makes me happier than to hear this news from you. Enjoy your svx. That's what it was made for. Best of luck.

Mike :)

svxistentialist 12-06-2002 03:42 PM

Three thou'

Thanks Mike.

88mph, three thou rock solid on the tacho, I love this car!

Took it up my back road for a blast, checking the gearchange points. I'm watching the tacho, not even pushing near the carpet level, look over, I'm doin' 100. Just like that, whoosh.

Better get radar for this car before radar gets me.

Joe:)

Green1995SVX 12-06-2002 05:58 PM

Arent these cars AMAZING?

I am curious, how is the 4WS working for you?

Mike

svxistentialist 12-07-2002 04:37 AM

Four wheel cow

Don't have it Mike.

There were two variants in Japan in the launch year. Mine is the basic model. By "basic", what I don't have is ABS, cruise and a sunroof. But the top model also had 4WS, and I will qualify that by describing it as active electronic 4WS.

As you know from previous flame wars, we all have 4WS of the passive variety, with rear bushing compliance giving steering[oversteer] when the loads are right for it.

You should PM Phil and Belha in the UK, theirs is the Full Monty. The cars have a reputation in Japan for giving expensive trouble. However, I believe that when working as designed, these are brilliant. If one came up for sale, the complexity would not daunt me. Almost bought a grey one recently, but it was sold before I could get my deposit on[in Japan] Phil is Phil Skuse, and he has a great technical grasp of the steering as well.

wawazat?? 12-07-2002 07:46 AM

Re: On the road again, goin' places where I've never been

Quote:

Got my baby back this evening!!! Yah!!!!!!!!!

Very strange feeling, driving a car with four, count em', four forward gears:cool: :cool:

No more pedal dancing for gears eh Joe!:D

Glad to hear that this is at least working out for you.

Todd

svxistentialist 12-07-2002 12:33 PM

Left leg resting

Hi Todd,

Yeah, sure is fun having it all work again, had forgotten how quick and effortless it moves when all's inordnung.

I still find the TCU changes up way quicker than I would like, skips into second when the car is barely moving. I can switch on POWER mode to offset this, but I am going to let the box do the work for at least a month till I see how economical it may be.

What I am definitely doing is regarding top gear, i.e. D range, as purely an overdrive. Starting off or driving in traffic, I am going to use 3 all the time. Will push it up into D only on main roads or motorway.

The B&M cooler Randy recommended for me is working very well. The technician sandwiched it between the rad and the AC cooler. I like the position, even in traffic the fans are drawing through it. So far, the tranny is remaining very cool. I have no temp gauge[gage??], instead I use my rule of thumb. To check if the tranny is hot, I run my thumb down to the metal base of the selector lever. If the tranny is heating, the lever will be warm, in fact quite warm. How's that for empirical methodology??:) :D

Looking forward to at least two years of trouble-free driving. Unless them pesky flying pigs crack my windshield!!:)

Joe

wawazat?? 12-07-2002 03:06 PM

Re: Left leg resting

Quote:

Hi Todd,

So far, the tranny is remaining very cool. I have no temp gauge[gage??], instead I use my rule of thumb. To check if the tranny is hot, I run my thumb down to the metal base of the selector lever. If the tranny is heating, the lever will be warm, in fact quite warm. How's that for empirical methodology??:) :D

Joe

Question for you Joe. How do you calibrate your thumb?:D

Gotta be nice having a fully functioning, quite car again. I fear I'm losing a rear wheel bearing now. Not a big deal, the SVX is a back-up car these days. I'll get it taken carer of before the Reading meet in April.

Todd

CigarJohnny 12-07-2002 11:00 PM

Congrats, Joe!

Many happy miles in your future!:D

svxistentialist 12-08-2002 03:37 PM

Too much, too soon [celebrating]

Thanks Johnny,

I have been a little previous in my praise of the SVX. Complete breakdown last night. Revving out in all gears, going nowhere fast.

The cheapest solution, burst/disconnected pipe, loss of ATF, is not the one, it is still full of oil. So it can be a stuck valve, clogged strainer, broken pump or a number of other unwanted ills.

Will have the car freighted back to the shop tomorrow, see how we go.

Let you know how the situation develops,

Joe:( :(

vkykam 12-08-2002 07:13 PM

DOH!

I was just about to congrat you on a sweet sweet victory... :(

Don't give up... You're almost home... :)

VK

svxistentialist 12-09-2002 03:33 AM

Re: Re: all legs resting

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??

Question for you Joe. How do you calibrate your thumb?:D

Gotta be nice having a fully functioning, quite car again. I fear I'm losing a rear wheel bearing now. Not a big deal, the SVX is a back-up car these days. I'll get it taken carer of before the Reading meet in April.

Todd

Todd, see previous post re breakdown.

Your appelation came to mind when it happened, slightly longer, with two other words interpolated, starting with t and f.

Shipping back to tranny shop today.

My thumb has been calibrated in degrees Furenheit. Will PM you the details.