The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   3m paint protection (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38182)

Hop 03-31-2007 03:46 AM

3m paint protection

Has anyone tried the 3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film On their car? I was thinking about getting the spoiler done if I ever the chips repaired and some paint put on.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Product_Info/

ensteele 03-31-2007 09:07 AM

I wonder how visible it would be. I wouldn't like it if it looks like there was scotch tape on it. :o

svxxx26 03-31-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I wonder how visible it would be. I wouldn't like it if it looks like there was scotch tape on it. :o

Just specaulation, but I would say it's similar to window tint film (except it's clear in this case). A professional installation and it looks like it came that way but a amateur installation looks like crap.
Even so, wouldn't there be a visible demarcation line on the hood?

Crysis 03-31-2007 09:18 AM

When i detailed cars some trucks had it on the front end of the hood and it wasnt very noticeable at all. Looked good in my opinion

svxxx26 03-31-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crysis
When i detailed cars some trucks had it on the front end of the hood and it wasnt very noticeable at all. Looked good in my opinion

Hmmm...if that's the case then it sounds like a product worth looking into. The lead edge of my hood seems like it gets a new stone chip every time it's out. Of course I would have to repaint the hood before applying anything else to protect it. :(

It's Just Eric 03-31-2007 12:04 PM

Hmmm...My guess is it would be worth trying. 3M makes awesome stuff, so I wouldnt worry much about weather it works or not. Depending on how thick, smooth, ect. it is, you may want to cover the entire top of the spoiler with it and let the edges be underneath, so that you cant see it. Tings like this usually only show on the edges, highlihted by dried wax or dirt

joburnet 03-31-2007 01:50 PM

I've seen it on several cars and personally I'm not a big fan, but it does seem to work as advertised. To me it's about as noticable as several paint chips.

dannmarr 03-31-2007 02:34 PM

If you try to hide it, it will be noticed. If you make it noticable, then it's O.K. That is why I use a black magnetic bra on my pearly. Check my locker.

Hop 03-31-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele

I was wondering about it yellowing after time but 3M says that it's easy to remove.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
If you try to hide it, it will be noticed. If you make it noticable, then it's O.K. That is why I use a black magnetic bra on my pearly. Check my locker.

I don't want to hide it, I just want to protect it. For some reason, I've got huge chips in the front of the wing.

I had a bra on the hood for a year and I couldn't believe the damage that it caused. I took it off to wax and everywhere underneath was scratched up. You couldn't have done more damage with a sander. It looked bad on a CF hood.:mad: Humph.

Hey, anyone want a used Bra:) It's slightly damaged from me kicking it around the driveway and then driving over it a few times. I think I still even have the earmuffs that go over the side view mirrors.

Hop 03-31-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
you may want to cover the entire top of the spoiler with it and let the edges be underneath, so that you cant see it. Things like this usually only show on the edges, highlihted by dried wax or dirt

That's an awesome idea. I haven't found a price for this stuff although everywhere I've looked strongly recommend professional installation.

This car seems to be a rock and door magnet. I should just rhinocoat the whole thing and be done with it.

SVX_MY_BABY 04-02-2007 08:51 AM

Aren't the sheets by the rocker panels in front of the rear wheels the 3M protectors?

It's Just Eric 04-02-2007 03:48 PM

Thats what I was thinking, though I think the product he is considering purchasing is thinner. Im sure it would be a similar material

Have you considered mabey sanding the chips put and having the wing resprayed? Might actually cost the same or less than covering it with some film