The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need info on front engine seals.. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29008)

clarkerussell 10-17-2005 01:05 PM

Need info on front engine seals..

Now that I've replaced the power steering lines on my car, I feel more comfortable in tearing it apart. I REALLY need to replace the timing belt and, according to a Subaru dealer, all the "front engine seals". I know the oil pump seal is included, and cam seals (I'm assuming 4 of them), but what other seals are they talking about?

While I'm in the front of the enigne, is there anything else I should change besides the seals and timing belt? Thanks in advance..

dcarrb 10-17-2005 02:04 PM

Depending upon the miles on your car, consider changing the crank seal, water pump, and idler/tensioner pulleys (or bearings). I had the seals and water pump replaced with the timing belt soon after buying the car and will probably do the pulleys the next time around. If you're over 120,000 miles, you might even want to replace the crankshaft pulley.

dcb

mbtoloczko 10-17-2005 02:50 PM

To add to dcarrb, you'll want to do the lower cam seals too. The upper cam seals will not wear out. They are a plug seal that is not subject to wear. From what I've read on this board, the oil pump is pretty tough, and shouldn't need replacement. Definitely do the water pump while you're there. I just replaced the lower cam seals, crank shaft seal, waterpump, and T-belt. Its a fair bit of work, esp if you don't have all the proper tools on hand and have to figure it out as you go along.

clarkerussell 10-17-2005 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
To add to dcarrb, you'll want to do the lower cam seals too. The upper cam seals will not wear out. They are a plug seal that is not subject to wear. From what I've read on this board, the oil pump is pretty tough, and shouldn't need replacement. Definitely do the water pump while you're there. I just replaced the lower cam seals, crank shaft seal, waterpump, and T-belt. Its a fair bit of work, esp if you don't have all the proper tools on hand and have to figure it out as you go along.

I found the rear oil seal that appears to be a rear crank, but not the front one. Do you know what the part number is over at subaruparts.com? Thanks.

Clarke

clarkerussell 10-17-2005 03:26 PM

It would be really nice if there were a list of parts with part numbers that should be replaced at when the timing belt is replaced. If there isn't one out there today, I'll try to assemble one once I'm done...

Earthworm 10-17-2005 03:35 PM

Try searching the network...I'm sure someone posted it.

msvx95 10-18-2005 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkerussell
Now that I've replaced the power steering lines on my car, I feel more comfortable in tearing it apart. I REALLY need to replace the timing belt and, according to a Subaru dealer, all the "front engine seals". I know the oil pump seal is included, and cam seals (I'm assuming 4 of them), but what other seals are they talking about?

While I'm in the front of the enigne, is there anything else I should change besides the seals and timing belt? Thanks in advance..

Hey look at my thread called "more oil" dated on 1/31/2005.
I was given the p/n's of all the gaskets and seals to be replaced.
Don't forget the water pump gasket too.
That thread should help you.

clarkerussell 10-18-2005 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95
Hey look at my thread called "more oil" dated on 1/31/2005.
I was given the p/n's of all the gaskets and seals to be replaced.
Don't forget the water pump gasket too.
That thread should help you.

Wow... I looked before I posted, but I guess I didn't do a good enough job... Thanks for pointing that out! So, what did you end up doing?

msvx95 10-18-2005 09:46 AM

Well I gave Subaru one arm and one leg......

I prepared a list of all the part numbers including quantities and descriptions and handed it to them and had the parts dept order all the items I needed before I brought the car in. I scheduled the car to have service one week later giving them plenty of time to get the items.
Besides the seals and gaskets, I had them replace timing belt, water pump, oil pump, timing belt idlers, and thermostadt. They even wanted me to get the power steering pump replaced, but that's an expensive part and I didn't have any probs with it, so I kept my current one.

I really needed to order the rear engine seal which I didn't do....I still have a small leak near the back of the engine and near the oil pan.

SubaruPartsGirl 10-18-2005 11:01 AM

I found this to be very helpful when doing timing belts:

http://endwrench.com/main.php?smPID=HTML::home.html

Take a look in the archives for old issues. They did a whole article on timing belts along with several tips needed to complete the job. This is a publication from Subaru meant to help our techs and wholesale customers better service Subaru customers.

Thanks,
Jackie

kuoh 10-18-2005 11:11 AM

The front seals aren't too tough, but I thought the engine had to come out to do the rear crank seal?

KuoH

Quote:

I really needed to order the rear engine seal which I didn't do....I still have a small leak near the back of the engine and near the oil pan.

msvx95 10-18-2005 11:14 AM

I am guessing that too, that's why I didn't have Subaru replace that.....It would have been a whole lot more than an arm and a leg :eek:

I really ought to get an estimate to get that seal replaced and also my oil pan gasket looks suspicious too, but how difficult is that to remove...it looks like the cross-member is in the way.

immortal_suby 10-18-2005 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuoh
The front seals aren't too tough, but I thought the engine had to come out to do the rear crank seal?

KuoH

Either the engine comes out or the tranny to do the rear main seal.

TomsSVX 10-18-2005 05:49 PM

Quote:

I am guessing that too, that's why I didn't have Subaru replace that.....It would have been a whole lot more than an arm and a leg :eek:

I really ought to get an estimate to get that seal replaced and also my oil pan gasket looks suspicious too, but how difficult is that to remove...it looks like the cross-member is in the way.

Oil pan is irritating. The gasket isn't really a gasket, it is liquid RTV from the factory. Use a 1/4in drive ratchet with extension and universal joints

Tom

msvx95 10-19-2005 04:30 AM

Hmm I thought something was up with the pan....I couldn't tell on subaruparts.com what the part number was to the gasket that would appear on the oil pan.....so that makes sense that it's liquid RTV.
This type of job sounds messy and knuckle-scrapy :eek: